Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Aerosmith or Skynyrd

Guest galejt

Sorry Ceeb. GFR sucks. My homie John made me listen to that shit hours on end and when I tried to sneak Cream or Mahavishnu on the barbie he held me down and made me eat buggers. I hate GFR. He also had a thing for some other hair ball band, wait, I blissfully forgot about them until now. You bastard. Foghat. I hate Foghat. Same problem there as well.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Allmans. Live at Fillmore was rated #2 influential album by Rolling Stone.

They even did concerts which helped a Presidential candidate get elected.

Top blues band, ever. I don't think anyone could expect more from a band of that calibur.

During the 70's all the girlies were taking their tops of to Freebird, and not Whipping Post, though.

With the loss of their original lead guitarist and bass player, I think it left a void in talent and creativity in the long run.

Enlighten Rouges is a very underrated album. It ended up on the discount rack at super market chains during the 80's.

A blues guitarist died and found himself in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter was trying to concentrate and was a little flustered by the slide guitar music behind him. The guitarist asks, "Do I hear Duane Allman? Is that really Duane, can I meet him?" St. Peter ignored his comments and kept working. Stunned by the performance, the guitarist beckoned St. Peter's attention and said, "This may be my only chance while I am here at the entrance to meet Duane Allman. Is that Duane? St. Peter ruefully rolled his eyes and said, "No that is not Duane. It is God. He just thinks he's Duane!"

I think I told it right...

Guest Buck Dharma

I love Skynyrd and the Allmans. No bands have done what they do any better since. How can you compare popularity of a band that crashed in the 70's to newer bands that's stupid. They didn't even have MTV then or cable TV. I think Van Halen started the whole Heavy Metal 80's thing and them and MTV ruined the great classic rock bands. Show me a band now that tours with 3 great guitar players? The Allmans are the only band I can think of now that have 2. and Kiss was never good the first time around, it just shows how much marketing genious they have. Whoever does that for them is very good! What about Zappa, SRV, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Blue Oyster Cult? Let's face it rock bands didn't live like moviestars back then so talent and success are to different things.

Rock bands didn't live like movie stars? They might not have actually KEPT any of the money that they made, but many of them sure lived like they were movie stars (for a brief period only in most cases!). How many jets with band logos were there in the 70s? They were at all of the parties, drank all of the pink champagne :D they could, banged Britt Ekland, etc....

Guest Buck Dharma
Rock bands didn't live like movie stars? They might not have actually KEPT any of the money that they made, but many of them sure lived like they were movie stars (for a brief period only in most cases!). How many jets with band logos were there in the 70s? They were at all of the parties, drank all of the pink champagne :D they could, banged Britt Ekland, etc....

I think very few of them had their own jet. Lynyrd Skynyrd was in a chartered jet and gigged 5 days a week then. That had allot to do with why they crashed. Sure you had the Stones and Zep and Floyd but nothing like today where all you need is a good video to be on MTV.

I think very few of them had their own jet. Lynyrd Skynyrd was in a chartered jet and gigged 5 days a week then. That had allot to do with why they crashed.

Dsc_0333%20Convair%20240%20formerly%20N8404H%20the%2049er%20left%20side%20l.jpg

Jet my ass. They were flying in a Convair 240.

They ran out of gas, and had encountered some engine trouble but Ronnie insisted on taking off as scheduled with words to the effect of "What the hell... if it's your time it's your time."

Death by stupidity in my book.

Show me a band now that tours with 3 great guitar players?

saw iron maiden monday, they now have 3 gee-tar players. ha!

But Jannick Gers keeps 'em from having 3 great guitar players.

I believe that the Eagles do have a position in the top three.

But they broke up for about 2 decades and were pretty bitter about it ...

Skynyrd as a whole never broke up, until, of course, literally. 

According to Wikipedia, Skynyrd broke up for 9 years, with various band members fronting different bands. To quote:

Hiatus, 1977-1986

Rossington and Collins formed The Rossington-Collins Band between 1980 and 1982, releasing two albums. Pyle formed The Artimus Pyle Band in 1982. Collins formed The Allen Collins Band in 1983. Tragedy struck the band again in 1986 when Collins crashed his car while driving drunk near his home in Jacksonville, killing his girlfriend and leaving him permanently paralyzed from the waist down.

Then there's this gem of a FAQ on Skynyrd.com:

Over the years how many different people have been members of Skynyrd?

Eighteen -- Ronnie VanZant, Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ed King, Billy Powell, Larry Junstrom, Leon Wilkeson, Bob Burns, Artimus Pyle, Steve Gaines, Rickey Medlocke, Custer, Hughie Thomasson, Randall Hall, Johnny VanZant, Mike Estes, Owen Hale and Jeff MacCallister. There have been eight backup singers -- Cassie Gaines, Leslie Hawkins, JoJo Billingsley, Dale Krantz Rossington, Carol Bristow, Debbie Bailey, Debbie Davis, and Carol Chase.

I think Artimus Pyle's band has more early Skynyrd members than Skynyrd itself does.

In an interesting twist, In "Walk This Way", Aerosmith's book, they tell of turning down the use of the plane Skynard crashed in and how it was almost them. Skynard's plane went down in a storm with either fuel or mechanical issues. I cant remember which. My copy of the book is loaned out or I would tell you exactly what is written in it.

Skynard's plane went down in a storm with either fuel or mechanical issues. I cant remember which.

You can't remember which because it was both.

According to the FAQ about the crash at http://www.skynyrd.com/faq.html#e:

"How did Skynyrd's plane crash?

According to the NTSB report the pilots miscalculated the amount of fuel provided in Lakeland, Florida on October 18, 1977. When they refueled in Greenville, South Carolina on the 20th, they compounded this error by believing they had more fuel than they really did. The airplane was also experiencing some mechanical difficulties which required the pilots to operate the right engine in the "auto-rich" position which burned fuel at an excessive rate. The combination of these problems resulted in nearly complete fuel exhaustion. The pilots changed course and headed for an airport near McComb, Mississippi but the plane stalled near Gillsburg, Mississippi and crashed in swampy woods. "

They both suck! The last good album Aerosmith did was Rocks back in the 70's.

If Lou gets to mention Dream Theater, then I get to mention Kings X! OK, they never sold any records, but they also never crashed an airplane, still have all the original members, never recorded cheesy Desmond Howard/Diane Warren ballads, influenced a ton of bands and still rock.

Guest Buck Dharma
Show me a band now that tours with 3 great guitar players?

saw iron maiden monday, they now have 3 gee-tar players. ha!

I said 3 GREAT guitar players.

Kiss are big in my book, for getting LOTS of people interested in guitar....Then ZZ Top for having some of the best tunes I know. I'm probably a redneck myself, being born and raised just south of Atlanta, but MAN!!! Skynyrd is RED!!!!

This'll prolly get some 'maters tossed my way but it's hard to argue with a 20+ year career, REM?

I ain't tossin' no 'maters, but ....I just can't get past lyrics (REM) that are so "artsy". I like a song that average Joe can understand. That being said, I guess there's not a single REM song that won't have you singing along immediately...

Archived