Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another sign of "no love" for Hamers

Hgb5000

HAMER usa = Right-Out-of-the-box pure Rockin' Mojo.

I am with you 100%. But gearpage people need someone to hype that mojo up first.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that could be a new business.

I can see it now....

Bring your MIM Fenders to us and we'll make them look retro.

Grinding, gouging, dent/scratch, rust, why yes folks, we do it all!

You know that could be a new business.

I can see it now....

Bring your MIM Fenders to us and we'll make them look retro.

Grinding, gouging, dent/scratch, rust, why yes folks, we do it all!

A quick Google search will show several companies are currently doing just that. I personally like the relic'd look.

I honestly don't know why everybody complains about Hamer's current prices, but nobody says squat about the current PRS pricing. With the exception of the "budget" or mid-line (Mira and Starla lines, which list for between $2,200 - $3,300), they are right in line with Hamer.

Even though we are not talking apples-to-apples, PRS is a huge factory with scores of employees cranking out dozens or hundreds of times more instruments than Hamer does with their extremely small staff.

I feel a more fair comparison would be to compare Hamer with PRS' Private Stock Program. That is a small operation that is PRS' "Custom Shop", and the entry charge to get in is pushing $10k. I don't remember hearing many complaints about the prices Paul charges for that experience, and Hamer is a relative bargain v. that. The biggest distinction is that a PRS PS will typically lose a slight amount of value, and most of them are in high demand by a wider audience. Hamers will take a pretty big hit - the appeal is to a much smaller audience. Again, the years of promoting PRS as a desirable brand has heightened the public's awareness and great perception of value. Hamer is just too small to reach that same footprint, but I doubt that has ever been their strategy. Because of their history (and large corporate ownership), we may have a tough time realizing that they are a true custom shop...like a Thorn, Gustavsson, etc. Again - nobody bitches about paying $6-$10k for some of those, right? :D People realize that those people don't build for everybody, right?

I understand the complaints, however like pretty much anything in this world, things change. We don't always like it, but that's the way it is. My problem is with the gripe that Hamer is getting too expensive or won't make something they made 15-20 years ago for the same price they did back then. Face it - Hamer has CHANGED. This is not a bad thing, but just part of a company's evolution and strategic direction. If anything, they are getting back to what made them great in the first place 35 years ago. An exclusive custom shop that will try new things and do them better than a mass-produced builder will do.

If you want a cheap Hamer, buy a used one. Great deals are still out there. If you want a new Hamer, save your money and have a more realistic expectation that you aren't going to get it for the price of a Les Paul. You'll be happy with the result. Complaining about it isn't going to change a thing though.

Well said Chris.

I recently saw a post on another forum were someone was showing off a new PRS/Guitar Center exclusive run. IIRC, they paid $3500+ for it. The wood looked terrible. The top was nice but the mahogany looked like it would have made a nice shipping skid. I know for a fact that it would have never made it upstairs in New Hartford.

My first post, since the Powers that Be finally let me through the door . . . :D

1. I love Hamers and have six MIA, two MIK and one MIC.

2. They should never have put the name "Slammer" on anything. Around here, a "slammer" is an IV drug abuser. What kind of name is that for a guitar?

3. If you are going to go with another name such as Slammer for the import line, leave that other name as the name for the import line. See, e.g. Gibson and Epiphone. Now they stick the Hamer name on everything, all the way down to my MIC Hamer. You are diluting the brand by doing that. It's like if Ferrari started making economy cars in Korea - a lot of people would be less enamored of their high-dollar Italian stuff.

4. I would never buy a new Hamer because they cost too much compared to a used very nice Hamer. All my Hamers were used when I got them. One was a basket, the others were all acquired in used, very nice condition.

It's interesting that Fender managed to survive having MIA Fenders, MIM Fenders, and a "starter" Squire line. Very similar to Hamer's branding, you have to read the fine print on the headstock to know where it was made. My guess is that the Fender brand, being synonymous with electric guitars, was able to deal with that possible MIA/MIM confusion and use it as a strength... people WANT a damn Fender and where it's made is less important. For Hamer, being smaller and less known, I think it has had a bad effect in that every single person who sees me play my Hamer USA asks why I play a cheap Korean guitar.

There are sort of two Hamer camps... the ones who also would consider a Macinturff, Thorn, etc. high-end guitar, and those whose tastes are a little more utilitarian. Count me in the latter camp. They could sell them with dot inlays, no binding, and just an oiled finish for all I care. All I want is really good wood (heh heh) and quality hardware, assembled well. A nice finish actually scares me off as I will scratch it up.

So MY preference is a Hamer that turns out plenty of P90 Specials, Juniors, etc., maybe even with non-glossy, thin inexpensive finishes. If they choose to be a high-end custom builder cool and I hope they thrive... it's not my company!

Chris:

Very well said.

mirrorimij:

Quote:

The top was nice but the mahogany looked like it would have made a nice shipping skid. I know for a fact that it would have never made it upstairs in New Hartford.

:D

I was at a Sam Ash and saw some $4,000.00+ PRS guitars that would match that description.

big + 1

For every Hamer fan lamenting the closing of a USA factory operation, there must be 10 Guild enthusiasts eagerly awaiting handcrafted Guilds coming out of New England again. Fender Music has been pretty conscientious about keeping the brands alive that it bought, but sometimes it requires shifting of resources and rewriting mission statements to keep them all alive. I'd much rather know Hamer was surviving as a custom shop with Jol in charge--even if I can't afford their product anymore--than see them completely shut down

I also like Hamer headstocks

Not only does PRS have some real high end prices, I routinely see Gibby Les Pauls Not sure of the models (R9 or R7 or something) going used on TGP in the 2-3k+ range. And I think their neck inlays are plastic

I love Hamer, don't get me wrong.

I plan to purchase a no-pickguard (back routing) Korina Vector probably in middle/late 2010 --I have other priorities at this point.

In the not-so-near future I might also order a new Vector made to my specs --it will be like "my dream".

All that said, it's still true new USA-made Hamers are beyond the reach of normal "working musicians", and that's a shame IMHO.

" Face it - Hamer has CHANGED. This is not a bad thing, but just part of a company's evolution and strategic direction."

actually i think more than a few of us do think it's a bad thing, just sayin..........................

Hey, have you noticed 501's suck now too? And it's hard to find a decent flannel?

I go into my local music shop and the new guitars feel like toys compared to my Hamers.

I'm seeing this as a glass half full experience. Really its perfect, the only downside is if you are trying to make a living selling Hamer guitars.

EXTRA ! EXTRA !

"Worlds best used guitars sell for cheap!"

Yeah I'm sad about it but what you gonna do?

:D;):P

My first post, since the Powers that Be finally let me through the door . . . ;)

1. I love Hamers and have six MIA, two MIK and one MIC.

2. They should never have put the name "Slammer" on anything. Around here, a "slammer" is an IV drug abuser. What kind of name is that for a guitar?

3. If you are going to go with another name such as Slammer for the import line, leave that other name as the name for the import line. See, e.g. Gibson and Epiphone. Now they stick the Hamer name on everything, all the way down to my MIC Hamer. You are diluting the brand by doing that. It's like if Ferrari started making economy cars in Korea - a lot of people would be less enamored of their high-dollar Italian stuff.

4. I would never buy a new Hamer because they cost too much compared to a used very nice Hamer. All my Hamers were used when I got them. One was a basket, the others were all acquired in used, very nice condition.

You stole my name :D

big + 1

For every Hamer fan lamenting the closing of a USA factory operation,

Have you heard something that I haven't?

All I know is that they're now a full on custom shop and haven't closed.

You can have a guy play a Hamer that sounds better, plays better, feels better, looks better.

He'll still pick the bolt on Fender guitar or a Gibby. Why? Maybe it's that the older name brands are so burned

into people's subconcious that they feel safe with them, even though they know the Hamer is better?

yep. gibson & fender were played by the classic rawk icons.

PRS/ibanez/esp/jackson is in the hands of todays big players (along w/ gibson/fender).

i honestly think if hamer did the pay to play endorsements they would have a higher profile. obviously the quality is there.

There are sort of two Hamer camps... the ones who also would consider a Macinturff, Thorn, etc. high-end guitar,

and those whose tastes are a little more utilitarian. Count me in the latter camp. They could sell them with dot inlays,

no binding, and just an oiled finish for all I care. All I want is really good wood (heh heh) and quality hardware, assembled well.

A nice finish actually scares me off as I will scratch it up.

yep. save the bling for TGP.

I'd much rather know Hamer was surviving as a custom shop with Jol in charge--even if I can't afford their

product anymore--than see them completely shut down

yep. theres plenty o' used hamers that kick ass; bad for hamer, good for guys like me & harry.

I also like Hamer headstocks.

yeah, what is the deal about dissin' the headstocks? they look fine, its not ugly like a parker or a 4+2 music man, c'mon.

Excellent headstocks there are. Excellent guitars they are. Nothing to argue about Hamer guitars really except they are cheap on the used market.

Not true, since I have never heard of you . . . but since you have 1936 posts I will yield the name to you.

My name is for my MusicMan SUB bass, and I detest the Bengals. And, I am SUBmariner on TGP.

Now how do I go about changing my username without going through the arduous registration process?

How should I pick a new name? A contest? "Subhunter?" "Destroyer?" "ASROC?" Nawww . . .

You can have a guy play a Hamer that sounds better, plays better, feels better, looks better.

He'll still pick the bolt on Fender guitar or a Gibby. Why? Maybe it's that the older name brands are so burned

into people's subconcious that they feel safe with them, even though they know the Hamer is better?

PRS/ibanez/esp/jackson is in the hands of todays big players (along w/ gibson/fender).

i honestly think if hamer did the pay to play endorsements they would have a higher profile. obviously the quality is there.

There are sort of two Hamer camps... the ones who also would consider a Macinturff, Thorn, etc. high-end guitar,

and those whose tastes are a little more utilitarian. Count me in the latter camp. They could sell them with dot inlays,

no binding, and just an oiled finish for all I care. All I want is really good wood (heh heh) and quality hardware, assembled well.

A nice finish actually scares me off as I will scratch it up.

yep. save the bling for TGP.

I'd much rather know Hamer was surviving as a custom shop with Jol in charge--even if I can't afford their

product anymore--than see them completely shut down

yep. theres plenty o' used hamers that kick ass; bad for hamer, good for guys like me & harry.

I also like Hamer headstocks.

yeah, what is the deal about dissin' the headstocks? they look fine, its not ugly like a parker or a 4+2 music man, c'mon.

+1

Headstocks are like cars: there are no real standards of what is good or ugly. But when a headstock style gets associated with quality, it becomes the standard of beauty.

IMHO.

Actually he didn't.

Granted, they are close but...

SUBmariner and Submariner85 are different names.

I sent a message to Chris seeking a change to "Hamerweizen." 'Tain't taken. I checked.

Totally agree.

Plenty of people here on HFC have been saying that for years: get Hamers into the hands of CURRENT popular guitarists.

I don't think anyone questions the quality of Hamer USA guitars, but one can certainly question the effect of their marketing approach and new guitar pricing vs. their resale value.

Someone mentioned no one complaining about the high pricing of PRS, Gustavsson and other high end builders. True, but those guitars typically retain their value whereas used Hamers simply don't, which again, IMO, relates right back to poor marketing and the lack of aggressive artist relations.

YMMV of course...

Archived