Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Live Versions Over Studio

Hamerhack

Which songs do you think are better on a live album than the studio version?

Are there songs you didn't care for on the studio album but like the live one?

These come to mind:

Cream: "Deserted Cities of the Heart" (Live Cream Vol 2). I like both, but the live is just frantic. Lotsa sound from just 3 guys!

Stones: "Street Fighting Man" Get Yer Ya Ya's Out (I never liked studio version). Love the tone and Mick Taylor live.

Van Halen-

This version slays the album version. When think about it I would have rather have a DVD of this entire show than the ticket stubs from the "reunion" show I saw a couple years ago.

Pretty much everything on Frampton Comes Alive has relegated the studio versions of those songs to afterthought status.

Beat me to it!

I personally, prefer the cuts on the live Pantera album to the studio ones; the mix is shitty, but there's more excitement and I like Phil's voice more.

-Austin

+1 to all of the above; thought about almost any Cream song before I hit Add Reply (excepting the 2005 reunion album).

Almost any Motorhead song, particularly the early stuff.

"Don't Fear the Reaper" on BOC's Some Enchanted Evening

"Burning for You" on BOC's Extraterrestrial Live ("Reaper" is on there, too, but the earlier version is better)

"Nobody Knows" - An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band

"Jessica" - An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band - Second Set

"Standing in the Rain" - Wishbone Ash on Live in Chicago

"Tangible Evidence" - Wishbone Ash on Tracks

"World Anthem" - Mahogany Rush

"Holy Water" - Bad Co.

Any Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac song on the Boston Tea Party stuff

"Green Grass and High Tides" - Outlaws, on the Hittin' the Road album

"Wipeout" - The Ventures On Stage

"So Lonely" - Police (Omni in Atlanta version)

"Pale Shelter" - Tears For Fears (only avail. on the Scenes from the Big Chair video

"The Last Resort" - Eagles on Hell Freezes Over

Almost any Rory Gallagher tune

"And You and I" + "Roundabout" - Yessongs

Prolly add more later....

UFO and MSG live albums kick some serious ass. When "in the zone", Michael Schenker live is da man. B)

Genesis "Firth of Fifth" on 'Seconds Out' Smokes the studio take from "Selling England..." Steve Hackett's solo on this take on this is awe inspiring -- Pure six string emotion...

The point is, if some kind of research could be done, I'd bet that (1) most players---be they bona fide pros or of the armchair type---have a disproportionate number of live albums in their respective music collections, and (2) most players---be they bona fide pros or of the armchair type---would probably think that the live version of just about ANY song is better.

Both scenarios are certainly applicable to me.

One wonders what the results would be on a thread that advocated listing songs where the live version was actually inferior to the studio version....

Archived