Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best new gear purchase 2009?

Disturber

No new guitars for me this year. But I did find a Fender Deluxe Reverb II amp in great condition. I have been searching for one for some time, they are scarce up here. I had one in the 80's and it was great.

I also bought and sold some pedals. Found an old Proco Rat that kicks ass. Boutique overdrives with all their tone separation, and what have you, might be for some people - but this pedal just got a traditional rock sound that I like. Great for good strat sounds. And it has the tone that can be heard on a lot of my favourite old records, "instant Rebel yell", lol.

Here's a little soundclip of the Deluxe Reverb II. Sorry for the sloppy playing, I was just trying out the soundquality of the built in mike in my Panasonic LX3. It sounds decent at the volume I had the amp at, but I when I recorded my Marshall at the rehersal place the mike could not handle the volume, it became fuzzy.

What did you all get this year. Post some pics of your new Hamer's and other goodies.

---

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought my first ever steel string acoustic.

IMG_5707.jpg

And that Sabine Zoid tuner, though I haven't even received it yet, is going to a good one as well.

Very, very nice! :D

I like the body binding.

Is that a herringbone pattern?

I rebuilt my rig from the ground up this year for my TTL gig.

Now using a couple of Tech 21 amps, a Trademark 60 and a Power Engine 60, and a Boss multi-effect unit.

Picked up a black Gibson Flying V for the stage, aka The Look ™ factor.

Also picked up a Boss Micro BR personal recorder. Still learning how to use it (the manual's bigger than the unit) but it's a pretty cool creative/songwriting tool.

But easily the best purchase this year was my EBMM Axis. I absolutely adore everything about this guitar.

MM_AXIS_G44889_lg.jpg

HoneynBarbie004.jpg

I like the body binding.

Thanks - yes, herringbone I guess.

It's a good one. I have been trying to keep my guitar buying insanity less visible, but perhaps I should make a thread about that one (due to it being my first).

Sharp, Mitch. Love the Tort! ;)

Yes, tort seems to be my curse. I woulda preferred black, but the guitar won out. :P

I picked up a Trailer Trash pedal board back this summer. It's blue! It's huge! I love it.

Crap, what haven't I gotten this year?!?

I had to look in my PMs to make sure, but every single USA-made guitar in my sig block came this year.

I finally took the plunge on USA Hamers when SteveB had a beautiful Diablo for a price I couldn't pass up...I had been slavering for a shredder at a good price, and I think we concluded the deal to our mutual satisfaction.

Interestingly, that's the one guitar I haven't played at all yet. He detuned the strings for me, and I never had the time to get it tuned up and set up. Because that was the dam-buster for me for Hamer guitars, and I kept buying and bringing in new guitars faster than I could get to know them.

I dunno...I already knew I was going to Iraq, and I just got in a GAS fervor. I did it once with pre-WWII bolt-action battle rifles, too: spent about a year buying and selling anything and everything under the sun...and then woke up one day and stopped.

So after the Diablo, I got a granite speckle Centaura that I thought was inexpensive. Then a 2nd Vandy in red. Then I saw another granite speckle Centaura that I really didn't intend to buy, but couldn't resist putting in a low bid, expecting to get outbid...but it stuck, and it was mine. Then I found an insanely cheap Tobacco Burst Centaura on Craigslist, and got it. Then I put another what-the-heck bid in on an '80 Hamer Special and got it for $400. Another surprise...but I couldn't really complain, as it is an awesome guitar with good mojo and a Kahler trem that I'd been lusting after...and love now that I've tried it out. A set-neck Chappie with scalloped frets intrigued me, and I got that one cheap, too. Along the way couldn't resist a cheap import Hamer Cali Deluxe, because I really wanted some Boomers, even if they were fake bling. Someone else had an import Cali CX (24 frets, fixed bridge, maple fretboard) + amp for $100 shipped...who could resist that? Flipping it would make at least $50...(haven't done it yet).

I got all that buying done in less than 4 months. March, April, May, June. And I packed up the house and left in the first week in July.

I got a Ministar Rokstar, too, but it doesn't compare.

Then after I got here, I saw 3 other guitars I couldn't resist:

- a Blueautiful Centaura that was love at first sight a year ago

- a 12-string set-neck Chaparral

- a walnut Jon Kammerer solid-body

Counting the Rokstar, that's 13 14 guitars in about 9 months.

Whew!

I can't choose a best. They are all the best. 2009 will be my best year of guitar acquisition for all time, I think.

MM_AXIS_G44889_lg.jpg

HoneynBarbie004.jpg

MusicMan has always made really nice stuff.

I like the black back/flamed top.

Is that a birdseye maple neck??

I like the body binding.

Thanks - yes, herringbone I guess.

It's a good one. I have been trying to keep my guitar buying insanity less visible, but perhaps I should make a thread about that one (due to it being my first).

Sharp, Mitch. Love the Tort! ;)

Yes, tort seems to be my curse. I woulda preferred black, but the guitar won out. :P

What make/model is that btw?

Yup, it's a birdseye maple neck. Most EBMMs I've seen are birdseye, with varying degrees of figuring. Luck of the draw thing from what I gather.

I'm rebuilding as well and love my Bogner Alchemist. But without question, my best purchase was this used G&L ASAT Bluesboy Semihollow. Works great in my new southern rock cover band and sounds freekin' huge. Bone stock and staying that way.

DSCN1489.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

best $300 i ever spent (not much help to you guys, i know);

muttstickered.jpg

maybe the best $150 i ever spent (they go for $200 new);

large-VOX_ToneLabST.jpg

special1.jpg

nice! remove the pickguard and that would satisfy my sabs P90 wraptail SG jones.

Archived