Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eastwood's making some cool nostalgia basses

JohnnyB

The ones that are hardest to find on the vintage market, or the hardest to keep in good condition, or way too expensive.

Hofneresque Club Bass:

bass_SunB-club.jpg

A practical update of the Ampeg Horizontal Bass:

bass_Blk-EUB-1.jpg

Airline (Supro/Montgomery Ward)

bass_Red-airline.jpg

Airline Map, available in Seafoam!

bass_Seafoam-AirlineMap.jpg

Hi-Flyer-inspired by the Univox Hi-Flyer and Mosrite:

bass_SunB-newHiFlyer.jpg

The one I have my eye on--Gretsch-style semhollow:

bass_Orange-classic4.jpg

I'm thinking of getting one and putting in TV Jones Thunder-Trons.

Most are available in 2 or more colors, and some as lefties. The Gretsch style is available in orange, white/gold like a Falcon, or Walnut.

I had an Eastwood resonator/semi-hollow for a bit.

Christmas07022-1.jpg

It was definatly different. Played well, worth the $$$.

I love to come across a Mosrite. I was looking at them on Ebay yesteday. Does Eastwood do a six string in that design?

I had an Eastwood resonator/semi-hollow for a bit.

Christmas07022-1.jpg

It was definatly different. Played well, worth the $$$.

I love to come across a Mosrite. I was looking at them on Ebay yesteday. Does Eastwood do a six string in that design?

How's the pickup balance and resonator tone on thst? It keeps yelling at me too. I'd have a definite onstage use for that one if the resonator bit is actually useful.

I've been staring at the Ampeg for a while. Rick Danko of The Band used the real-deal fretless on a lot of stuff. It got a good thub-thub doghouse-ish bass sound.

Yeah. Well back then that Ampeg would have been just a few years old. From what I've read they don't age well and run about $2500 when you can find one. They used some strange pickup located under the bridge which no doubt contributed to the thump, so this re-imagined one probably will sound more conventional.

Italia also makes an Ampeg-inspired bass called the Imola, available as a 4- or 5-string, including a 5-string fretless w/ghostlines. These use Wilkinson Jazz bass pickups and bridge. Nice alternative but I like the Eastwood headstock, inspired directly by the Ampeg.

imola.jpg

The Italia's get good ink, their was an article on them in the last GP mag. Fellow that reviewed it didn't have a bad thing to say about it.

Here's a Eastwood "Mosrite" style 6 I just found. Don't know why they didn't use the Bigsby Roller on the Deluxe model instead of the Fender style. Looks like they used the better Trem on the cheaper style Mosrite

gtr_Grn-sidejackDLX2.jpg

In addition to the Sidejack previously shown in greenburst, they have these. The baritones have a 28" scale:

gtr_SunB-hi-flyer.jpg

gtr_MetBlu-sidejackB.jpg

ot_Blk-sidejackBariDLX2.jpg

They even did a reissue of the unusual and extremely rare Musicraft Messenger, played by Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad:

gtr_Grn-messenger.jpg

Great access to the higher frets... for players like Jeff Healey. ;)

220px-JeffHealeyAug312002.jpg

Yeah, but he's not accessing much of anything these days. :D

Try the Hallmark Guitars web site. They have some Mosrite clones from Korea, and a former Mosrite employee, Bill Gruggett, is an advisor concerning authenticity. Tell 'em I sent ya.

VINTAGE GUITAR reviewed the Ampeg copies a while back. Neck is reportedly pretty beefy.

Yeah. Well back then that Ampeg would have been just a few years old. From what I've read they don't age well and run about $2500 when you can find one. They used some strange pickup located under the bridge which no doubt contributed to the thump, so this re-imagined one probably will sound more conventional.

One of those was hanging in a local shop in the 90's and saw a few more at guitar shows. Every one of them had checked finishes.

VINTAGE GUITAR reviewed the Ampeg copies a while back. Neck is reportedly pretty beefy.

The originals seemed kind of clunky when I tried them out.

One of those was hanging in a local shop in the 90's and saw a few more at guitar shows. Every one of them had checked finishes.

The originals seemed kind of clunky when I tried them out.

The're a local upright player who has two of them (along with his upright and his Ampeg baby bass). He paid $2,500 for his most recent purchase and it needed some work. I have played it a few times and it is heavy and the neck was beyond chunky. The coolness factor, though, is off the charts!

Some guys also rave about their arch tops. Supposed to be killer guitars for around 2-2.5K. The is hella cheap for a quality arch top.

I think you're thinking of Eastman guitars, which makes acoustics, mandolins, and jazz archtops, vs. Eastwood, which reimagines retro designs of guitars, basses, and one electric mandolin.

Eastman ar610_full_front_0.5.jpg

Eastwood gtr_Seafoam-airMap.jpg

I was originally confused the same way

for anyone looking for a mosrite copy, get a dillion (made in korea, or at least they used to be a couple of years ago). i've owned both an eastwood and a dillion and the difference was staggering. the dillion was flawless, less generic sounding, better looking, cooler hardware and had unobstructed fret access.

http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/elect...G75T/index.html

dmg75%20sb%203.jpg

Great access to the higher frets... for players like Jeff Healey. :D

220px-JeffHealeyAug312002.jpg

Yeah, but he's not accessing much of anything these days. :)

Bah! He accessed enough for long enough to be considered a true guitar hero. Most of us will never make it that far... nor that high --hoping he's in Heaven now. :D

Great access to the higher frets... for players like Jeff Healey. :D

Yeah, but he's not accessing much of anything these days. :)

Bah! He accessed enough for long enough to be considered a true guitar hero. Most of us will never make it that far... nor that high --hoping he's in Heaven now. :D

Yeah, I know. I always liked Healey and was really sorry to lose him. The original conversation, however, is about the Mosrite-inspired body shape that puts the deeper cutaway on the thumb side, and is of no value to conventional players. I read that Semie Moseley came up with the shape of his guitars by tracing a Stratocaster face down.

Archived