Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Top 2 Barbra Streisand albums?

BubbaVO

I know I'm going to pounded for this, but I think that the girl could flat out sing.

While I have to smile at the cheezy antics of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, some of Babs' stuff is amazing.

So In Your Humble Opinion, boys and girls, what are those 2 must have Babs albums?

She has albums?

Yes. Go to any Thrift store and look in the LP bin. They're right next to Neil Diamond and Jerry Vale.

As for the OP's question, Stoney End is pretty impressive and the title song was a pretty big crossover hit single. Her best stuff is probably in the '70s and early '80s when she was at prime singing age and didn't turn everything into a torch song. That can get annoying after awhile. Her collaboration, "Guilty," with Barry Gibb, probably helps keep that in check since Gibb's voice isn't nearly as strong. Yet their duets on that are pretty good. Guilty was 6x platinum with 5.4 M copies sold. Go to the discography here and take your pick.

The title track from the film "The Way We Were" was a huge hit and is beautifully sung. There was a soundtrack album as well as one for "A Star Is Born." Like I said, '70s to early '80s is probably her best, though she has the distinction of being the only artist to have top 10 albums in 5 consecutive decades.

Babs is incredible! I don't know the names of any of her albums, but I would guess her best work was in the 60's to early 70's. She as a singer and Paul Williams as a writer are a force to be reckoned with!

Edited to add, I would rather listen to Babs ANY day over Nickleback. :D

T

The Way We Were and A Star is Born. That would be it. Oh ya she could sing.

She sang in the 90's 2000? I'll look it up, nev-mind..................15th on the ALL-TIME Best Selling Artists list? Thats impressive. Had a bigger following than I remember.

The Way We Were and A Star is Born. That would be it. Oh ya she could sing.

She sang in the 90's 2000? I'll look it up, nev-mind..................15th on the ALL-TIME Best Selling Artists list? Thats impressive. Had a bigger following than I remember.

She had a platinum album in 2000 and had another album released in 2007 that sold 200K copies. She has had top 10 albums in the '60s, '70s, '80s, 90s, and 00's.

When I used to be an FM radio DJ, back in the stoneage...Streisand's label ran a contest for DJs to enter their interpretation of her single "Evergreen."

I remember entering it, reading the lyrics over the music....starting out in a serious Barry White type voice and then 30 secs in I started eating an apple on mic, talking with my mouth full, belching, etc. Didn't win but it sure was fun :D

You also had to send a photo of yourself...mine was in a tropical silk bathrobe with a tucan on my head.

I'm not even sure why we got to enter, as we were a cutting edge rock/underground station and never played Streisand type suff.

The woman sure had a great set of pipes though.

NOVEMBER 13, 2009,

"Love Is The Answer" Certified Gold .Barbra's 63rd album, "Love Is The Answer" has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), just months after debuting at #1 on the Billboard Charts. This brings the number of gold albums awarded to Barbra to 51. Additionally, Barbra is the recipient of 30 platinum albums and 13 multi-platinum albums.

One of the finest female vocalists of all time, no arguement on the vocal talent.

What was that College radio? Thats were you play the tape in reverse and no-one notices..lol

No. Real radio. I was the top all-night (midnight-6 a.m.) guy in the city for years. My shift of choice because there were no playlist restrictions at the time. That was in Rochester, NY, WCMF...great music city back then and one of the ten best radio stations in the U.S. at the time. A lot of labels used Rochester as a city to test market/break new acts, so we got a lot of great bands playing their first US gig there. I remember Kraftwerk, in particular, doing its first US show and playing the entire "Autobahm" album live.

We also did weekly (sometimes several a week) live radio simulcasts of concerts in town. Not just local stuff but national acts too from local clubs and colleges....Brand X, Gentle Giant, even The Grateful Dead. Somewhere there is a huge 6-ft file cabinet with hundreds of 10-inch reels of these shows. We were also the station that got Spiro Gyra signed in a local band hunt we held. Same with the first at doing local "Homegrown" radio show and albums featuring local talent. We also had the downstairs of the radio station converted into a "studio" and did weekly broadcasts from there with a live audience of 50 or so listeners...not BS acts either...we had Robert Fripp, Journey (1st LP lineup) and other acts labels were trying to break. I was the youngest on-air guy they ever hired at 19 y.o. and it was just a killer experience. I'd never even applied for the job. My college roommate was an intern there and gave them a demo tape of my college radio show I'd done without my even knowing and they hired me without...total dumb luck. Besides the radio stuff, I also got to go to every concert in town for free and also hosted/MC's events.

After four years I ended up going to a competing station, mainly because I held the record for being fired the most times by the program/music director...but the general manager kept hiring me back because of my ratings. I later found out that the firings were because the program director was doing some illegal shit (long story) and thought I knew about it (I was the last on-air guy left from before he was in charge.) Actually, I hadn't a clue but he was sure trying to get rid of me. I also guested at CHUM in Toronto and WKBW in Buffalo.

So, I was doing that and gigging on my spare nights. Engineered/produced some local acts and then left for NYC when our first album was done.

I did a lot of the voiceovers on many of the NAMM-TV commercials that ran at the '90s NAMM shows and still do some voiceover work.

Fun times.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Man....that was sooooo long ago. I'm not even sure where to look for that. I actually might have a copy. If I run across it I WILL post it. An audio copy of the entry would be funnier but that's likely in a case of old reel-to-reel or cassette stuff with the oxide flaking off.

Well, I like to listen to Barbra Streisand. Sometimes I like to listen to Barry Manilow's music, or some "cheesy" 70's disco stuff. Most people I know or meet in internet forums don't seem to be openminded in their music consuming habits and stick to particular genres. Well, nevermind, I must admit, I don't like everything either...

Dudes, sorry to hit you with both barrels, but it's time to whip out the big guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmC8JTTVy0

:D

Dudes, sorry to hit you with both barrels, but it's time to whip out the big guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmC8JTTVy0

:P

That's hitting below the belt, bub. :D

Archived