Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Never been much of a Tele fan....

BCR Greg

...until last night......

22176_239094502195_753227195_3349174_3606635_n.jpg

22176_239102247195_753227195_3349355_4427681_n.jpg

22176_239102227195_753227195_3349354_2384358_n.jpg

Liquid Metal guitars sent me this so that I could play it at last night's gig...

LMT1.jpg

...and I can say that I am BLOWN AWAY. Killer neck, killer fretwork and the carved out aluminum body WORKS. The Duncans are perfect in this guitar. As a wood snob, I expected it to be brash and brittle sounding. I was a James Trussart dealer for a while, and dismissed these guitars as the same thing. Boy, was I wrong. It's resonant as hell and a wonderful sounding and feeling guitar. Are we going to have to start talking tonemetals?

The surface is smooth as glass with the texture milled into it and then a clearcoat(the same stuff Mercedes uses on their alloy wheels!) is applied. In the stage lights, it looks like it's alive.

More details soon.

I was looking at these last night... Of all of the models, i thought the T was the best looking.

The necks look to be wood, correct?

How much does it weigh?

If an played the keyboards, what would Deep Purple sound like?

Of course there are tone metals. It's why brass instruments are brass (copper and zinc), the best cymbals and bells are bronze (copper and tin), why triangles are steel, why the best flutes are sterling silver or 18K gold if you can afford it (e.g., James Galway), and why a vintage Ludwig Supraphonic 400 with an aluminum alloy shell (Ludalloy) is $250 but the same thing in brass might fetch $1,000. It's why Gary Burton has used the original aluminum alloy keys from the Musser Vibraphone he played as a kid throughout his entire adult career.

And many of us have seen discussions of the merits of chrome plated brass, steel, and aluminum bridges on electric guitars.

I like the Gibson style toggle switch. I don't believe I've seen that on a Tele control plate before. Cool guitar!

I was in Greg's shop yesterday as he was playing this guitar and can attest that it sounded amazing. Tele twang to serious crunch with lots of versatile stops in between but I will defer to Greg to provide the full report. The guitar does look even better in person but more importantly it rocks.

You said "WORKS"? You know what doesn't work? Stripes and checks at the same time!

LMT1.jpg

...and I can say that I am BLOWN AWAY. Killer neck, killer fretwork and the carved out aluminum body WORKS. The Duncans are perfect in this guitar. As a wood snob, I expected it to be brash and brittle sounding. I was a James Trussart dealer for a while, and dismissed these guitars as the same thing. Boy, was I wrong. It's resonant as hell and a wonderful sounding and feeling guitar. Are we going to have to start talking tonemetals?

The surface is smooth as glass with the texture milled into it and then a clearcoat(the same stuff Mercedes uses on their alloy wheels!) is applied. In the stage lights, it looks like it's alive.

More details soon.

Wow, looks great. So Greg, do you think metal guitars will be accepted by guitar buyers?

I want a tele in solid gold. Or better, make it a Les paul. But it has to be gold, and SOLID B)

Great looking guitar, btw!

I absolutely love Teles and that one is just seriously seriously cool IMO. I did some poking around and found this on YouTube. Sounds freekin' great! Pricey though according to the Liquid Metal site but probably worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went in to clear some snow at the shop today and plugged this into an AC30.

My ears are still ringing two hours later, and I have a stupid grin on my face.

Jess likes it, too....

crouch.jpg

Haunted.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update:

I love it MORE than I did when I last posted. The tones are killer, the workmanship stellar and EVERYONE that sees it is fascinated. The biggest response to the appearance is "I thought it was grooved, but it's smooth!" Then they play it.

"Killer neck", "Wow, it's so easy to play" and "All the pickup settings WORK!" are typical responses when the guitar is handed over. We have an expression...when folks(especially doubters) play the guitar, they get the "Liquid Metal Smile"...an expression that is somewhat akin to suddenly getting a private joke.

LMTCloumn.jpg

And the inside is as cool as the outside....

LMTInterior.jpg

Turns out that when Seymour winds the pickups just for these guitars, he puts in the "Jeff Beck Tap".... so I will be adding a push/pull tone pot to use that feature soon.

I still hate Teles, just not THIS one.

This is freaking cool. You can open it and work on it like on a car.

Hey guys, no one needs a bike any more. :ph34r:

Archived