Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Know anything about the Greg wind pickup??

Hey gents.......

Anyone know about the greg wind Voodoo? How hot is it? Is it as fat as the Rio BBQ? I am looking for a nice versatile pickup for a mahogany/maple topped axe...maybe a bit brighter than the BBQ/Texas set.

Are they as expensive as WCR pickups?

Thanks!

It won't be.

It's my own design, only available from us.

The idea was to get a really articulate pickup for my Les Paul, since the 50's PAF wasn't ballsy enough and the BBQ(which is in all of my chambered guitars!) was just a teensy bit off in this particular guitar. Peter and I talked about a pickup that I used to wind (when I had time to wind my own) and some of the things that worked. I asked him to do these various and sundry tweaks and he sent me the prototype. It's STILL in the guitar, never to leave.

We have since come up with a companion neck pickup, and the combination is fantastic.

The idea is a rompin' stompin' wide open tone that sweetens up at around 8 on the vol knob and stays clear on the way down. The neck pickup has more "clink" that you've ever hear in a humbucker without losing that rich, round tone that we are used to in that position. On each pickup, the midrange peak is optimized for the placement.

They are available in any combination of creme and black, under covers that don't seem to stay on very long if so desired.

Are they for everyone?

Nope.

Have I replaced my BBQs with them?

Nope. Most of my guitars are chambered, and they have BBQs and Genuine Texas in them to great effect.

Do I have a P-90 Gregwind?

Yup.

Will these pickups get you laid?

Nope.

Will I give you your $159 each/shipped back if you don't like them?

Hell, yeah.

I am not holding anything from you...I simply don't know the details. All I can tell you is that it is an amazing pickup that Greg has Peter Florence wind for him. It is not a standard Voodoo humbucker. I have had a bunch of Voodoos, the 59, the 60, etc...this is different. For starters, it is clearer and more defined, but not in a bad way. It still has plenty of power to drive a tube amp. When you roll the volume back, it takes on some P90ish qualities which is something I find to be very cool.

To be fair, I am not a fan of the Rios. I know Rio has its fans, but I found the BBQ to be a dud. JMHO of course.

Why thank you Greg! I recently bought a set of WCR Shredders and have been testing them in various guitars. The bridge is like a better JB and the neck is great as well. You can also use the neck pickup as a bridge as some guys have done.

But, I feel I want something a little more HOT PAF type and was thinking this may be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived