Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, time to write Hamer's obituary?

zorrow

My challenge still stands: Of all the people complaining that Hamer won't build them a Californian, call your dealer with a minimum of a $5,000 deposit in hand (fully prepared to pay a second $5k or more upon delivery), and see what your answer will be.

Still no takers after 6 years! :)

If Phantoms count, your challenge is dead in the water. :P

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Also, they weren't dead-nuts copies, although perhaps I'm being nitpicky?

Well right, the headstocks and bridges were different. Everything else looked exact to me. Certainly more so than a TLE or a Vintage S.

Well, the body radius on the T51's was way rounder than any Fender Tele and I've never seen a bridge like the one on the T51. The Daytona I guess just had the different bridge. But both had fingerboard radiuses that were waaaay flatter than anything Fenders ever* made. But like I said, I'm just being nitpicky.

-Austin

*If challenged, I will in no way try to back up this statement :P

:)

He's gotcha there, CM!

:P

One of the reasons I specifically mentioned Californians!

hamer has become an elitist brand , they were not always that way, they are no longer interested in selling a great handmade instrument that the everyday working stiff can afford , they wanna make that same studio they've been making for 30 years with some more bling on it and sell it for $4000. that's cool, it's their company, sucks for most of us though.....................

Harry, I believe that's what they wished they could have been.

In the consumer's mind, "perception is reality". Hamer is perceived as a "wonderful bang for the buck guitar". Very few people would -and will- be willing to get a $5k Custom Order from Hamer. Why would they? Hamers are supposed to be cheap! They just did not position themselves for what they want to be, but with today's competition, and with their decisions about design, it's too late.

I don't think that's going to work. And, yes, PRS did it. I don't think for a minute PRS makes a better guitar than Hamer, but they could ingrain effectively the idea in the consumer's mind...and that was it.

Well, the body radius on the T51's was way rounder than any Fender Tele and I've never seen a bridge like the one on the T51. The Daytona I guess just had the different bridge. But both had fingerboard radiuses that were waaaay flatter than anything Fenders ever* made. But like I said, I'm just being nitpicky.

Yes, you are!

I was going by the "across a smokey bar" principle.

hamer has become an elitist brand , they were not always that way, they are no longer interested in selling a great handmade instrument that the everyday working stiff can afford , they wanna make that same studio they've been making for 30 years with some more bling on it and sell it for $4000. that's cool, it's their company, sucks for most of us though.....................

Harry, I believe that's what they wished they could have been.

In the consumer's mind, "perception is reality". Hamer is perceived as a "wonderful bang for the buck guitar". Very few people would -and will- be willing to get a $5k Custom Order from Hamer. Why would they? Hamers are supposed to be cheap! They just did not position themselves for what they want to be, but with today's competition, and with their decisions about design, it's too late.

I don't think that's going to work. And, yes, PRS did it. I don't think for a minute PRS makes a better guitar than Hamer, but they could ingrain effectively the idea in the consumer's mind...and that was it.

i hear ya bro , i don't think it will work either , it's a real drag , the only electric guitar i've played for 20 + years and the only one i want to play, better stock up now on some used hamers...................

I'm with you bro.

It's a part of why I like Hamer, they're not into endorsements.

One quick note ... anyone in advertising here? I believe endorsements (like advertising) are more about brand recognition than it is directly influencing someone to buy.

I think endorsements have been VERY effective at times. I don't remember Kramers flying out the door until this guy started endorsing them. Next thing you know, everybody wants some!

kramer-van-halen.jpg

Endorsements have to work both ways. In the 90's when I worked for Ritchey we payed good money to a Swiss cyclist named Thomas Frischnecht who was by far the most consistent racer of that decade (mtb'er). But he didn't just get stuff, he was a huge part of our r&d and prod developement. His role in design was as a great a contribution as any of us staffers.

I think the real successful guitar endorsements have had similar relationships; Nielson with Hamer, Vai with Ibanez etc. That's the fundamental purpose behind getting top pros to use your stuff, to utilise their feedback to improve your product and generate visibility and excitement for it.

Frischy was a cool guy! Ha, he once wanted me to take him to some trails I knew... I was f'ing terrified to ride with him... I was a sponsored Expert but he was THOMAS DAMN FRISCHNECHT!

I do work in advertising, and my title until this current weird job has usually been creative director. Studies show that CELEBRITY endorsements -- of common products like cars or soap -- do basically zero, but I dunno if anyone has done a study on endorsements in a specialized, enthusiast market. Brand awareness is built more by having a consistent brand promise, backed up by actions, expressed often and without too much variation, and placed in the right media. Hamer's done a crap job of branding since they day they opened the doors, going from "We make great traditional designs but with quality you can't find elsewhere" to "We build wacky stuff for Cheap Trick, and add LEDs and shape them like beer logos or the WWF logo" to "We put the Hamer logo on anything with strings, including Fender copies, shredders, or Gibson copies" to "Top quality for working players but also these blingy Indonesian imports and some REALLY cheap Slammers too" to the present case... where their most RABID FANS don't know what the hell they are doing. What, you're now a high-end custom shop whose range of customization extends basically to what color you want?

I think we're gonna see Hamer go bye-bye soon, the plant shifted over to to build Guilds, and a little Dantzig boutique band spring up. Fine instruments, totally schizophrenic banding.

Or they realized that a picture of Jol holding a guitar doesn't actually sell Hamers.

Coming across the below pic in a Vintage Guitar mag was the catalyst for my interest (and subsequent purchase) of my first Newport. I'd far rather see a shot of a designer than a player attempting to draw a paycheck.

jd.jpg

All I can say is try to get Gibson or the Gibson Custom Shop to build you a double cut Bass (aka 1959 EBO) and see what the answer is.

Hamer will build you a nice one in what ever scale you want for a very reasonable price.

Please...this isn't what we are talking about. Ask Hamer to build you a white korina V. The only custom feature of that guitar would be the white color. Answer? "No". Then you see one for sale on E-bay that was made for a touring musician.

The message sent?

We will build it, but not for you.

To be fair others have been able to get stuff like this through, but why is it pot luck? Either you do it or you don't. They way it is now smacks of elitism.

I still want a nicely spec'd Hamer Firebird~~~~~~~~

See, this is what I get from being busy this week.

This thread starts out like someone cut off the first three or four posts.

Can anyone say what happened to cause this thread?

Hamer is moving towards doing custom work only. Apparently, they will not be making normal "production" guitars. That's what people are saying, but I haven't seen anything official on the Hamer website.

Does anyone know when they all these changes are supposed to happen?

Hamer is moving towards doing custom work only. Apparently, they will not be making normal "production" guitars. That's what people are saying, but I haven't seen anything official on the Hamer website.

There's been a good bit of information filtered out - some fact, some loosely based on fact - but some people have decided that they know the final deal.

As I mentioned above, when you hear it from Jol or see it on the Hamer site/Jol's blog/Facebook page, then you can believe it.

There's been a good bit of information filtered out - some fact, some loosely based on fact - but some people have decided that they know the final deal.

As I mentioned above, when you hear it from Jol or see it on the Hamer site/Jol's blog/Facebook page, then you can believe it.

Nice.

It's FACT.

Call them and ask them.

In the 90's when I worked for Ritchey we payed good money to a Swiss cyclist named Thomas Frischnecht who was by far the most consistent racer of that decade (mtb'er).

As I read your post, my P-22 yelled at me from the basement and said: "Remember, coach potato, there's more to life than just bloody guitars!" To which I replied: "I ain't no Frischi as you know damn well!" To which my bike replied: "Yeah, and you ain't no Hendrix, either." To which I had no further reply :P

Ignoring the requests of customers has finally bitten Hamer in the ass. Every custom request I put in after I bought my 2007 Standard was denied. Good bye Crowns. My Hamer hot button was and still is the boomer inlay; they always say no. Later Hamer ships a brand new Black Standard with guess what? Boomers. I'm totally down & ready to go on a Zandard or 4 digit run...oh yeah we dont want to make THAT guitar....here's a $10K Tally custom instead. I'm paying for damn thing...it's a custom shop...WTF?

Of course the Hamer dealer is screwed.

Say Jol calls my bluff and agrees to sell me that Vector for $6000 (my price). There's just no way. Too many great new products out now...the Anderson Bulldog, the new setneck designs from John Suhr, James Tyler is cranking out great guitars. Actually affordable instruments with a decent resale. Not to mention killer deals on used Hamers.

Just some thoughts from a guy still buying new custom guitars.

Ariana was told @ NAMM that "order only" is the new MO. Frankly, I don't think it's something you shout from the mountain top. Let's all quit moaning. Hamer's are being built, and there are loads of "production" models available both new and used.

Brought to you by...

:P

Edited for grammar?

Archived