Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So - How Much *Should* a Custom Hamer Cost?

veatch

Asking that question is basically asking how much would you pay for a custom Hamer. I doubt there's more than a handful of people on this board that have any insight into the costs involved in building a Hamer, so I doubt you'll get any intelligent replies to your question. MCC's excepted of course.

-

Austin

I've gotta say that I thought for sure that my C/O that I inquired about would be so far out of my range that it would end worrying about it ever again. I was wrong, it never came to be but not because of the lack of effort or the $. I still can't believe the other thread is still going because it you want a Hamer in the form of a C/O CALL! The good man that started this thread did so and he came out with an awsome guitar.

To answer your question for me its as much guitar I can get for $3200. Why $3200 because I chose a percentage that was lower than my wifes Engagemnent ring. She means the most to me and I won't spend more for a guitar than I was willing to spend on her.

I've been thinking about it again recently since I turn 31. I might move a few and order me something before its not an option.

PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL YOUR HAMER DEALER AND BUY A GUITAR DAMNIT!!!!!!

I think it depends on how many options, which ones, & which base model you're starting with.

But if you mean what is my idea of a justifiable price to pay for one, I think I paid a very fair price for what I got.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one.

Oh, and Veatch, you have the Rock guitar equivalent of a John D'Angelico New Yorker.

:P It's been done. Last year's CO was well worth the money. This year's attempt was cost prohibitive in my opinion.

Why i m asking this here is to see if my opinion is jacked.

:P It's been done. Last year's CO was well worth the money. This year's attempt was cost prohibitive in my opinion.

Why i m asking this here is to see if my opinion is jacked.

That wasn't pointed at you. You have a steller C/O which I commented on lower in my post. :)

That wasn't pointed at you. You have a steller C/O which I commented on lower in my post. :P

Sorry, bubs. I didn't take it that way.

My point was that something seems to have happened over the past year to move a Hamer CO out of my price range. I'm simply curious as to if my expectations are off. I look at COs from Grosh, Huber, etc, and i'm confused at why Hamer is so high now.

With how well the last CO went, i am 100% committed to staying with Hamer. But if i can't afford it, it looks like the last CO will be my last guitar.

But i guess i'm just beating that horse again...

I payed $3200 for my Cali Custom in '92. What would it be today? Do your own math.

Jeez!! What the hell did you get that cost that much? Are you talking about list price or your actual out-the-door price? :P

Nope that was my cost not list. Now, bear in mind I was 19 and dumber than dirt. The guitar was spec'd out with stupid upcharges that weren't needed, and the dealer had a field day with Mr. Sheep. BUT, I've still never seen one pertier, so Baaaaaa. You've seen it, supposedly floatin around in Asia or the Phillipines nowadays.

Actually, just curious, if any of you serial number sleuths got a lead on 129585 I would appreciate it.

Actually, just curious, if any of you serial number sleuths got a lead on 129585 I would appreciate it.

I agree with the Engagement ring philosophy, but I did get to order an Improv that blew that idea out of the water. She knows I'd save her first if the house was on fire, then I'd try to go back inside :P

You can get one HELL-OF-A-NICE guitar for $3500-$4500, so pick the options that you are willing to pay for and cut the ones that are not worth it. That's my plan, fire something crazy off and see what they come back with. Sometimes what comes back will change the importance of certain options.

To answer your question for me its as much guitar I can get for $3200.

That's about my limit too. I secretly hold out hope that PirateFlynn will put the PiratePro up for sale some day. It'll save me making an order! Shame it won't happen. :P

When I ordered my Ultimate (a quasi custom order). The upgrades were for the quilt top and Victory inlays. I was not charged for the color change. I normally wouldn't go for such a blinged out guitar, my playing pales in comparison. I did want to own a guitar that displayed fine lutherie and was very impressed with what went into that model. I also felt that they were selling these guitars at no profit or even a loss! I think retail at the time was $4500, certainly not more than $5000. If you took an Artist and added up all the options it was way more money than the price of an Ultimate.

The end result is that I have a guitar that is somewhat unique. It is my best playing guitar and gorgeous to look at. The entire process from picking the top and checking out color samples was very pleasing and I have a stronger connection to that guitar than any of my others. I don't know if you could put a price on that. Of course in the Hamer used market I don't know If I could sell it for what I paid and list is now $8500 :) .

edited to add it's not for sale :P

ArnieZ

I recall my guitarist's custom Chaparral being $3600 back in 1988....so what would that be in 2010 dollars?

The answer is: 6470.89 in today's dollars.

An aside:

When Hamer started, they were extremely expensive guitars that were made for rock stars only. Jol and Paul took them backstage and hawked them right alongside the vintage strats and LPs that they were selling at Northern Prairie Music.

A Standard with the came appointments as today's Standard custom (fully bound, 27 inlays etc.) would set Mick Ralphs or Ted Turner about $1200-$1500. Today's money= $4567.68

By comparison, a Gibson Les Paul Custom would have been $650.00

Kris

A Standard with the came appointments as today's Standard custom (fully bound, 27 inlays etc.) would set Mick Ralphs or Ted Turner about $1200-$1500. Today's money= $4567.68

Kris

TED Turner played Hamers?! :P

ted-turner.jpg

Kris

TED Turner played Hamers?! :P

ted-turner.jpg

Yup, apparently the 27 inlay ones!! :)

Wow, I was apparently lucky.

My CO in 2004 was $1,700, IIRC. Not a lot of "bling" though. It was a Korina Special, with Humbuckers.

The result was amazing, as usual, quality-wise. :)

I just should have ordered it with a Standard headstock... :ph34r:

There are really two answers. One is that for what the factory puts out, Hamers are a bargain. The new 2009 Newport Pro in tobacco burst at a local shop was quite a bit improved over my 2001. It was in the little details, but really it is an improved guitar. The amount of hand labor and attention to detail is rather stunning. How they can do that for the street price is shocking, considering that some profit has to be found.

The second answer is that I think a basic Newport should go for $2500 to $3000 street price. Start adding bling and the price goes up due to all the labor. Binding the f-holes, multi-color finishes, custom inlays, etc, add a lot of labor. I think I would be "willing" to pay about $3k to $3500 for a Newport the way I would like it. That is probably in the ballpark for what they would charge,

If it weren't for tuition for 3 kids, I could have a new Hamer custom every year, AND a new car to drive it home in. Meanwhile I'm happy with my used Hamer.

I think a basic Newport should go for $2500 to $3000 street price.

It's actually $3120, so just outside your high side. Street is 20% off list on Hamer's, which I've always thought was high, and almost impossible to get (as a dealer). G&L street is 25% off, and they will sell for that, granted on a considerably lower priced guitar. I think a Hamer street of 30% off would feel better both from a dealer and customer point of view, but with the current MO, do they even need to have a street price? For some companies (Orange for example), List *is* street on their UK products.

Kris

TED Turner played Hamers?! :ph34r:

ted-turner.jpg

Well, I admit I'm confused.

This article says it was Ted, but it also says Ted played bass.

So it was always just Martin Turner, then? Ted never picked up a Hamer guitar on the strength of Martin's happiness with the bass?

Archived