Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Brand Loyalty

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most of you know my story.

For those that don't, here's a recap:

I stumbled on Hamer by way of an impor Stellar 1. Best guitar I'd ever owned/played on to that point in my life, just barely edging a Carvin USA Bolt.

For about 6 months, I insisted I was happy with imports and couldn't see spending $600 for a guitar that was only a little better than the imports. There was no way I would ever spend $1k.

The first crack in the wall was when SteveB offered his Diablo for $450. I won't bore you with a play-by-play, but it culminated in me spending more than $1k for a Centaura Deluxe. (and well worth it!)

Still, I almost feel guilty for keeping the Hamer XT import SATF (studio copy). I almost feel guilty for being so excited about playing the Peavey Vandenberg. I'm even looking forward to jamming on my XT Californian (24 frets, fixed bridge) because it actually sounds and feels pretty good. I want to compare it to the Jon Kammerer guitar I have enjoyed so much over the last few months.

Interestingly, despite the awesome stable of guitars I have, I find myself really missing my old Stellar 1. I sold it because the XT SATF sounded just a touch better, and I wanted to clear out dead wood for some USAs I was contemplating purchasing (I did, btw).

Yet despite my own "betrayals" of Hamer USA with Peavey, JK, and even Hamer import guitars, I still find myself somewhat surprised when I see the collections of other members listed in a post. Aside from the Scary family, it seems like Hamer USAs make up less than 1/3rd of anyone else's collection.

That isn't a criticism.

But I am curious what everyone else's thoughts/feelings are. Here are some of the questions I have. Answer any/all/none at your whim.

If you like Hamer enough to be a member of this board, why do you have other non-Hamer guitars? (I know why I do, but I want to know why *you* do)

Do you want more Hamer USAs?

Do you only buy them when the price is irresistable?

Do you only want certain types of Hamers?

All specs being equal, does the name "Hamer USA" on a guitar make you more likely to buy it? All specs being equal, does *not* having the name "Hamer USA" make you less like to buy a specific guitar?

What would make you restrict your collecting to only Hamers? Is that even possible?

What could make you willing to restrict yourself to playing only Hamers? Is that even possible?

Do you consider yourself a Hamer collector more than a guitar collector or vice versa?

Do you consider yourself a guitarist more than a guitar collector?

Would you say that a Hamer USA is a necessary part of a professional/serious guitarist's guitar stable? If so, which one(s)?

Would you say that a professional/serious guitarist should stick to one brand? Why or why not?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined because I wanted to learn more about Hamer guitars. But then Boobies thread, politics, learning about all sorts of stuff, humor, caraderie - great place to have dropped into.

I like Hamers. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a different brand if it did what I was looking for a guitar to do. On the other hand, the Hamers I've played covered a lot of ground. So I'm in pretty good shape.

The one lone non-Hamer guitar I have is unlike anything Hamer has ever built. Hamer is, IMO, great at what they do, but they don't cover all the bases. Still they're one of only a handful of guit companies that I'm really "down" with.

-

Austin

Brief breakdown of my crew of stringed sweeties.

61 guitars

4 basses

Project dawgs to Beauty queens.

22.5 Hamer guitars

2 Hamer basses

18 Dean guitars

2 Dean basses

22 "Explorer" bodied guitars

2 "Explorer" bodied basses

Life IS Good..... :ph34r:

Made In:

USA 44

Korean 10

Czech Republic 4

Japan 3

Unknown 3

Mexico 1

Ok the breakdown

1 Hamer Bass

2 Peavey Wolfgangs

2 Gibsons, 73 LP, Reverse V

1 G&L Legacy (for Sale)

1 Larrivee Acoustic

I had 12 Hamers at one time but thinned the herd and the Hamers didn't make the cut.......

the only one I really regret selling was my Monaco Elite. I posted it with the rest at what I thought was a high price and it was snapped up instantly.

My grail guitar is the Peavey Wolfgang, the rest are a revolving door

My name is Ron and I'm a USA guitar snob

First off, even with "specs" being equal. I buy the USA Hamers for that hand-built custom shop quality that you cant find overseas. I also find in the used market they are one of the best $ to quality ratio guitars out there.

With the exception of a 71 Gibson LP Custom and 71 Fender Strat (which I only bought to have a couple of the classics from the year I was born), all my current guitars are Hamer USA's (OK, I have that MIJ strat but that one is for sale and on the way out, just taking up space). I have not found a style that I want to play that I cant play on the Hamers.

At this stage now my focus is to add some bling to the collection so I am looking for exceptional grain in excellent condition Hamer USA's or some unique pieces. That said, this is where the dollars do start going up and I do wonder at times if it is worth spending the money on a less well know brand like Hamer over the big names. At the end of the day, for me the answer is yes. The nicer ones that have come in have stayed and will probably be around for a long time (barring any unforeseeable circumstances in the future).

I got started here a few years back because a Green Cali Elite happened to be my first electric guitar and I had foolishly sold it in my early years. When I got back into playing I wanted to replace it, found this forum and have hung around ever since.

Finally, it was the people here and their styles that has kept me coming back. I definitely get more than I give from those that are generous enough to give their time and feedback on this forum. I am stuck now with a Hamer affliction? crush maybe? and I dont see a reason to look anywhere else. So thanks for the good times and hopefully together we can make it through the bad.

Have a great day.

in the used market they are one of the best $ to quality ratio guitars out there.

this.

although i'm not above buying another brand, hamer's the only one i'll buy w/o playing it 1st.

at the moment my electrics are a very sparse(need to remedy this) 93 studio, beater mid 90's daytona(amazing axe) and my go to bizarro t-51(arm cut????) , i play hamer for the absolute quality at a great price on the used market, never felt another guitar that just feels right in my hands like a hamer, bought my first cali in 89 and have never looked back.........................

Hamer:

RN Sig import Standard (my 1st Hamer)

Studio FM Aztec Gold

Vector

Standard Custom '59 Burst

(sold Vanguard, T-62 (regret both) & Monaco Elite Mahagony)

Vaccaro USA Comet (Kid Rock USA flag)

GMP Pawn Shop Special Semi-Hollow Red Sparkle

GMP Pawn Shop Classic Rose Copper Flake Metallic

Jackson Surfcaster SC1

Tipton 80's Special - yellow checkerboard

Gretsch Elliot Easton Sig Korean

Rustler USA Tele

CIJ Fender Strat

Only two brands have really felt right every time, Hamer and Music Man. The redundancy of construction styles and pickups is the only thing besides money that would keep me from buying every Hamer model available.

Hamer makes a great guitar as well as EBMM, and both brands don't have to many overlapping products, otherwise it would be a hard choice between them...

Own two hamer's, Duotone custom - bound and crowned and a P90 artist.

Two EBMM's, Albert Lee and a Steve Morse models

One Warmoth parts strat, EMG's and a GK3 pickup

All are totally different sounding guitars, and I'm pretty much done with GAS for awhile, unless a Newport for a heck of deal comes around...

I hate mail-ordering anything, all my purchases have been made locally in the Tampa area. The Duotone was purchased new from a guitar shop that just switched owners, and the new owner wanted nothing to do with any guitar costing more than $750 so he was blowing out the Hamer (got it new for $825!). My Artist was purchased via Craigslist used. Both EBMM's came new from Express Music (somewhat local shop) for going internet rate on the guitars. The Warmoth was built for me from another local shop (Guitar Gallery).

I wish there were more Hamer dealers around, and if it's true that they are going custom order only, new one's are off the list for me...

If you like Hamer enough to be a member of this board, why do you have other non-Hamer guitars? (I know why I do, but I want to know why *you* do)

Do you want more Hamer USAs?

Do you only buy them when the price is irresistable?

Do you only want certain types of Hamers?

All specs being equal, does the name "Hamer USA" on a guitar make you more likely to buy it? All specs being equal, does *not* having the name "Hamer USA" make you less like to buy a specific guitar?

What would make you restrict your collecting to only Hamers? Is that even possible?

What could make you willing to restrict yourself to playing only Hamers? Is that even possible?

Do you consider yourself a Hamer collector more than a guitar collector or vice versa?

Do you consider yourself a guitarist more than a guitar collector?

Would you say that a Hamer USA is a necessary part of a professional/serious guitarist's guitar stable? If so, which one(s)?

Would you say that a professional/serious guitarist should stick to one brand? Why or why not?

That's a bunch of questions!

I have 5 guitars. Three are acoustic, one of which needs to be sold. Two of my total guitars are electric. One is my travel guitar, the other is my Hamer Newport.

So I would never be down to only Hamer because I play acoustic about 50% of the time. If I didn't need a travel guitar, I'd be happy with just my Newport, though I'd likely want a solidbody electric.

There's no reason that a person should concentrate on one brand, though I think that pro artists should think about having their "identity" clear as far as marketing. Only a few artists can get away with having a wide variety of sounds. Most of the audience wouldn't notice or care if the artists plays different brands, but the audience would notice that some songs sound very different. You wouldn't likely be successful being 33% ZZ Top, 33% John Denver, and 33% BB King.

I have 31 guitars and 10 of them are Hamer USAs. I don't have any Hamer imports. My Hamer collection spans from a 1979 Sunburst to a 2008 Standard Custom (purchased new in 2009.)

I'm a USA guitar snob. I only have 4 non-US guitars, and none of them are "major" - one's an old Japanese 12-string acoustic I've had for 31 years, one's a cheap Ovation roundback acoustic, one's a Danelectro electric 12-string, and one's a Mexican Fender Precision that actually plays well and sounds good, too - I needed a bass for some home recording projects, but I'm hardly a bass virtuoso.

The only used guitars I will buy with confidence without playing them first are Hamer USAs and USA-made Paul Reed Smiths. I like USA PRS guitars, as well (I have 5), and think they are the only major manufacturer with the consistency of Hamer USA (and PRS produces far more guitars.) They're beautiful, they play very well, they sound good to my ears, and for me they're even a local company (Maryland). I'm not the only one on this board who feels that way - there are many recognizable names from the HFC over at birdsandmoons.com, too.

I have more Hamer USAs than any other manufacturer, but not because I've intentionally assembled a Hamer collection. Rather, I think used Hamers of recent vintage are the best buys out there. As an owner, I wish the resale values were better, but as a buyer, there are incredible deals to be had. I've purchased two Monaco Elites in the past few years for about $1,200 apiece that are better than 95% of the Les Pauls I've ever played - and gorgeous, too.

I don't see any reason to limit myself to Hamer guitars. I play them because I like them, but I also like a good Gibson (I have 5) or a good Fender (I have 4). G&L (USA) makes an excellent guitar, too - I have 2 of them, and am looking for the right Legacy to add to the collection. If you're a paid endorser, I think you have an obligation to play that manufacturer most of the time (90%+), but that doesn't apply to me - so I play what suits my mood and has the feel and sound I'm looking for.

I probably will add a few more Hamer USAs. I would like a Duotone and a Newport 12 would be nice, too. If I see a Studio Custom for a good price I'll throw a bid at it, too. I have all the Standards and Monacos that I need...except maybe for a Monaco III.

I have a 83 USA Cruise bass. A fender USA made Bullit bass from 1982/3. I have a cheap Palmer V that will be going soon. I bought a Hamer XT import standard about 5 years ago because I wanted to be able to play it before buying and couldn't afford anything better. I have an old epiphone acoustic that I've had since 87 or so.

I just bought an 84 Prototype II from Matt. Just sent the check and hoping it gets here soon. Can't wait. First guitar I've ever bought without touching it first. I feel confident that it will be a great guitar knowing it is a Hamer. Doesn't mean other guitars aren't great, just I feel I can trust Hamer's quality and the HFC.

'08 Hamer Studio Custom

'08 Hamer Artist Custom

'89 Gibson LP Custom

'06 Heritage H150CM w/Lollar P90s

I bought my Hamers because I wanted an American-built, excellent quality guitar that sounds as good as it looks, as well as easy access to the upper frets.

Bass Timeline:

1973 Fender Precision

1-28-2007-12-1.jpg

1977 MusicMan Stingray:

MusicManStingray040.jpg

1980 Fender Precision Bass Special:

1-28-2007-12-2-1.jpg

1981 Hamer Standard Bass #0531:

StandardBass046-1.jpg

1983 Fender Walnut Elite II Precision:

1-28-2007-18-1.jpg

1983 Fender 1957 Vintage Re-issue Precision:

1-28-2007-12-2-3.jpg

1987 Fender 1962 Vintage Re-issue Precision:

1-28-2007-12-2-2.jpg

2009 Ibanez SR:

EBAYSTUFF002.jpg

2010 Hamer Standard Bass12-String:

6a00e54ee874da8833012876da4c83970c.jpg

WOW! That's some good years!

Bass Timeline:

1973 Fender Precision

1-28-2007-12-1.jpg

1977 MusicMan Stingray:

MusicManStingray040.jpg

1980 Fender Precision Bass Special:

1-28-2007-12-2-1.jpg

1981 Hamer Standard Bass #0531:

StandardBass046-1.jpg

1983 Fender Walnut Elite II Precision:

1-28-2007-18-1.jpg

1983 Fender 1957 Vintage Re-issue Precision:

1-28-2007-12-2-3.jpg

1987 Fender 1962 Vintage Re-issue Precision:

1-28-2007-12-2-2.jpg

2009 Ibanez SR:

EBAYSTUFF002.jpg

2010 Hamer Standard Bass12-String:

6a00e54ee874da8833012876da4c83970c.jpg

I'm not stuck on Hamer, it's just that they have consistantly beat out other guitars when I was looking to fill a void. I have been stuck on Japanese Imports. Especially in the hollow bodies. I have always loved the necks and the fretwork on Higher end Japanese guitars. It usually takes me a long time to buy a guitar(it gets expensive when I'm picky :ph34r: ), I don't get to do it very often, so I have to try out a lot of guitars each time

Electrics:

'94 Daytona

'94 T51

'94 Duo-Tone

'95 Cruise IV fretless

'99 Newport Pro

'05 B4M

'06 Improv

'07 Monaco Elite P90

Imports Japan:

D'Aquisto Jazzline

D'Aquisto New Yorker

D'Aquisto New Yorker

'92 Ibanez Rg760

'05 Ibanez RG1570

Good answers, y'all!

I'm finding myself agreeing with much that has been said:

Hamer is one of the few guitars that you can buy w/o playing first.

Hamer is one of the best bangs for the buck in the guitar market.

No need to restrict yourself to Hamer...but if a Hamer will scratch the itch, it's a great place to start.

I'm finding myself agreeing with much that has been said:

Hamer is one of the few guitars that you can buy w/o playing first.

Well I'd disagree with this. I got burned by a bad Hamer. It was just a harsh sounding piece of wood. Having said that, every other Hamer that I've bought or played has been great. Having said that, I'd never buy the 80's Specials with the mega thin necks - so I guess those weren't great. I definitely agree that Hamers are a tremendous bang for the buck guitar.

You wouldn't likely be successful being 33% ZZ Top, 33% John Denver, and 33% BB King.

But if you were sucessful at this, it's likely that your name would be Jimmy Page.

After reading the last Les Paul thread, I'm convinced there are more Les Pauls owned here than Hamers.

Yeah, I don't own any Hamers at this point although I might get another Standard one day. My stable is really small these days:

Gibson LP Standard Limited Edition

G&L Bluesboy

Fender 52 Vintage Hot Rod Tele

October Guitars custom-built doublecut

Archived