Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Brand Loyalty

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i absolutely love hamers. I too had the experience of having my custom order refused back in 98'. That stopped me from buying them for a long time.

I came around though. i stopped playing bolt ons w/ the exception of the ibanez guitars i have. there just isnt another set neck guitar that I feel compares. there is always an inconsistancy in other manufacturers that i just havent found with Hamer.

I have played so many hamers of different years, models, pick up configs, etc. and have never, and i mean never been dissapointed.

PRS, Gibson, Fender, all of them have a problem with QC, i guess. I realize many guitars will "feel" and "sound" different of the same model. Call it bias, call it nietivity, whatever, but I have not experienced this with Hamer...........................NOT ONCE even with the Korean Slammers

BTW: 5 USA Hamers

1 Slammer

4 Ibanez

1 Schecter

1 Jackson

2 BC Rich

1 Yamaha Pacifica

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the title of this thread is 'Hamer Brand Loyalty,' I found this interesting:

The number of people here who own zero Hamers is higher than those who own 100% Hamers.

In fact, when you segment the data by the two 'mirrors' that add to 100% - 10-90%, 20-80% - the number of people who own the least percentage of Hamers is always higher.

I think it'd be further interesting to ask the same question about Gibson and Fender.

I have three Hamers (two '81 Specials and a '00 Newport) at the moment, but have owned a few others over the years (mostly back in the late '70s/early '80s). I had been away from the brand since the mid-'80s, and part of my renewed interest was indeed finding this forum last year.

At one time when I was new to guitar I was a Gibson purist, but that wore off pretty fast. Never dug Fenders (though I love the Strat shape) nor Ibanez all that much, and only toyed with other companies but never found one I would play exclusively. I tend to dig a guitar more for it's playability and sound rather than it's "name", and got into the habit of having my guitars custom made rather than buy off the rack.

All that said, if there's one company I would call my favorite, it's Hamer. The ones I had and lost I still lament, the ones I have now ain't going nowhere and I will acquire more (hear that, color graphic Special, I'm still huntin' fer ya, honey!). As stated in this thread over and over, they are exceptional instruments, and are probably the only brand that can be bought without playing 'em first, which truly says it all about the quality.

they are exceptional instruments, and are probably the only brand that can be bought without playing 'em first, which truly says it all about the quality.

+1 How many times have all of us bought one from another member of the forum and when opened it up and played it, said "this guitar sucks!!"

very seldom if at all

Hamer guitars are awesome, but I'm no longer as loyal to the brand as I used to be. I'm playing Dean almost all the time at this point. You know, Hamer remains at the top to me, but American Deans are still great guitars and I can get one for a fraction of the price I'd pay for a Hamer. That's why right now I own just two Hamers and three Deans --and perhaps a fourth one will join my stable soon.

I feel lucky that the Hamers I developed serious crushes on are now ridiculously affordable, pre-owned!

And if they're not as immediately recognizable as Gibson and Fender, they're still beautiful and distinctive. You can invest more than your cash in a nice-looking, extremely well-made guitar like that and make it your own. You're not thinking, "hey, I look like Gary Moore or Ron Wood", you're saying, "Geez, everyone else is trying to look like Gary Moore or Ron Wood". You know what it is and what it's worth and that people will catch on, slowly.

Hamer is to the big brands what SCTV was to SNL, or what Rush was to Led Zeppelin...

Or something...

been a hamer fan since there inception. Seeing cheap trick open for kiss in 78', oh those standards. Martin Bare playing that BCBS, Lita ford, I can go on and on. when, me, a kid back then, when all I wanted was a les paul standard so I can chop it up like Ace and Jimmy, but the local Gibson Dealer had no faith in me, but a new HAMER dealer came on the scene, and they had faith in me. Hooked ever since. I have alot of guitars. Alot of different guitars. Each with its own personality in which shines when I put my personality on top of that. all good. But I do love my Hamers.

found out last night that brian (trombonist from my original band) is moving to TN, and that i'm inheriting his short scale bass & behrringer amp. so my tally now is 3 usa hamers and an import slammer bass, no other brands.

I'm in the process of obtaining Hamer USA #10, out of a total of 18 guitars. I "gig" the Hamers. They're

exactly what I've been looking for for the last 30 years. Non-Hamers include a PRS, a couple of Carvins, a Gibson, an old Aria Pro II, and a couple of acoustics (Seagull and Alvarez).

The Hamers include 4 Studios, 1 Artist P90, 1 FM Special, 1 Mirage II, 1 Vector, 1 Standard Custom, and 1 B12L (just because).

My first USA Hamer was in February -- (thanks to Bloozguy).

I've been playing fairly seriously since 89, and had never played a USA Hamer before. The experience made me rethink how a guitar should play. There was an a sturdiness of the neck and a vibration of neck with body I had not felt before.

Since then I've turned over my collection and bought 5 more (used) - 06 Artist Custom, 97 Korina V, 97 Standard Custom, 05 Monaco Elite, and 01 Studio Custom.

In fact, I wanted to stop buying Hamer to try something else out. I walked into Dave's guitars to buy either a Suhr, Anderson, or McNaught and walked out with my Monaco Elite. :D

USA Hamers are now most of my collection. In addition I have 2 PRS, 2 USA G&L and 3 U.S. Masters (previous manufacturers of Dean).

Frankly, the G&L and U.S. Masters don't have quite the same sustain or feel. I'm in the process of selling one of my G&L's. I'll probably hang onto the U.S. Masters, those guys are local. I like my PRS, especially my Korina McCarty, but I've played a few that sounded real thin to me, so I wouldn't buy one sight unseen - unlike Hamer.

About the other brands: Trying to find my ultimate guitar, I've owned a Gibson SG Standard, Gibson Les Paul Standard and Studio, Fender Clapton Strat. The Gibson SG was a total lemon -- the black finish on the neck would get tacky during gigs and the stock pickups were so muddy they were embarrassing! The Standard was fine but not great. The Mahogany Studio sounded great, had great pickups and a nice vibe, but the details were off -- sharp and uneven fret ends, for example, and cheap wood. The Fender Clapton Strat was a lemon: awful sustain and malfunctioning electronics (lace sensor). I vowed after these experiences I would not own another Gibson or Fender. This is what got me going on G&L, U.S. Masters, and (ultimately) Hamer.

Why is used Gibson is more expensive than used Hamer? Makes no sense to me at all. I guess people that buy guitars typically do not know how to play them.

If I can buy something used, "better" than Hamer, for under $2K, then I will. I don't gig with guitars over $2K. I would be too nervous about spilling beer on it etc.

Sorry for the long post.

Since then I've turned over my collection and bought 5 more (used) - 06 Artist Custom, 97 Korina V, 97 Standard Custom, 05 Monaco Elite, and 01 Studio Custom.

In fact, I wanted to stop buying Hamer to try something else out. I walked into Dave's guitars to buy either a Suhr, Anderson, or McNaught and walked out with my Monaco Elite. :)

USA Hamers are now most of my collection. In addition I have 2 PRS, 2 USA G&L and 3 U.S. Masters (previous manufacturers of Dean).

I seem to remember warning you that this could (and likely would) happen :D

If you're going to get hooked, a Korina Standard is a fine way to start :P

You warned me!

I just sold my G&L Comanche to pick up another USA Hamer -- from the gear page -- 1993 Black Special with P90s, $550 shipped incl case! Supposed to be in great shape, it arrives next week.

In fact, I wanted to stop buying Hamer to try something else out. I walked into Dave's guitars to buy either a Suhr, Anderson, or McNaught and walked out with my Monaco Elite. :)

I seem to remember warning you that this could (and likely would) happen :D

If you're going to get hooked, a Korina Standard is a fine way to start :P

I'm a recent Hamer USA convert, but am obsessed with my two acquisitions and am now continually looking for killer deals on others. My next Hamer USA buy will probably be a Mirage, a Studio w/trem, or something with a couple of P90s. Here's the current breakdown:

Hamer USA:

- Artist Mahogany 25th Anniversary

- Newport Pro

Rickenbacker:

- 330/12 MG

- 4003BT WH

Fender/Squier:

- AVRI '62 Hot Rod Stratocaster

- AVRI '62 Thin Skin Jazzmaster

- AVRI '62 Jaguar

- Cyclone II

- Squier Jagmaster

- MIM Tele

- parts-Tele Deluxe w/trem

- parts-Tele Thinline w/Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem

- parts-Tele La Cabronita copy w/dual Filter-Trons

Danelectro:

- Dead on '58 Longhorn RI

- U2 converted to electric sitar

Seagull:

- S6+GT Burst

Ukuleles:

- Rickenbacker-style solidbody Uke (made by me)

- Lanikai LU-21CE

- Hilo Concert w/modifications

Projects in the works:

- Lap steel

- vintage noname LP bass copy restoration

- Ric 4005-ish bass copy

- plans for Fender Starcaster copy

If you like Hamer enough to be a member of this board, why do you have other non-Hamer guitars? (I know why I do, but I want to know why *you* do)

i don't mean this in a disrespectful way... but this one - to me - is a bit of a silly question. simply put... we are all lovers of guitars here right? and hamer isn't the ONLY brand... but it is a very good brand! also, not all of my "other" guitars are big brand names... a "vinetto" for example.

Do you want more Hamer USAs?

yes... i'd LOVE to have more... and i'm currently thinking about another custom order... OR i've also had my eye on this custom built "studio custom" for a while.

Do you only buy them when the price is irresistable?

no... in fact, i probably paid a bit much for my Triple Threat... but it's a rare one (used in their catalogs for years to represent the studio custom line)... and i just had to have it. also... i own the "night fire" tally that everyone seemed to like as it was being displayed via pics on the workshop blog. trust me, it wasn't cheap. i did buy one of my hamers at what i thought was a great used price... but that doesn't drive my thinking of how/when i buy a hamer.

Do you only want certain types of Hamers?

well... for the most part i'd say yes... i LOVE studio customs mostly. i really like the tally a lot too. i "might" consider a vector at some point... but i'm not much on the "pointy" guitar thing.

All specs being equal, does the name "Hamer USA" on a guitar make you more likely to buy it? All specs being equal, does *not* having the name "Hamer USA" make you less like to buy a specific guitar?

i have to be honest about this one and say Yes... the USA logo's got to be there for me.

What would make you restrict your collecting to only Hamers? Is that even possible?

i'm not sure this would be possible with me (ref: the first question)

What could make you willing to restrict yourself to playing only Hamers? Is that even possible?

i doubt this would be possible for me.

Do you consider yourself a Hamer collector more than a guitar collector or vice versa?

not really... i own mostly hamers right now... but i don't think of myself as a collector of hamer or any other type of guitar. i'm simply a guy that enjoys a good guitar.

Do you consider yourself a guitarist more than a guitar collector?

yes

Would you say that a Hamer USA is a necessary part of a professional/serious guitarist's guitar stable? If so, which one(s)?

no... musicians are artists... and we are all "inspired" by different things. NO guitar should be part of a "stable" of instruments in my mind. you should simply have the guitar(s) that enable you to do what you do. can you imagine if a painter were limited to a certain brush or color? the concept is silly right? look at jisham for example... you typically don't immediately think of a music man axis as a southern rock image right?... but it really FITS him and he just KILLS with it right? he's using the tool that works best for him... and that's the way it should be. one should NOT be limited to a typical les paul just because rossington played one. it's a silly concept right? or to be limited to a strat just because you're playing the blues... again, silly (in my opinion). actually... the tally is a completely MEAN blues guitar!

Would you say that a professional/serious guitarist should stick to one brand? Why or why not?

no... see answer above.

If you like Hamer enough to be a member of this board, why do you have other non-Hamer guitars? (I know why I do, but I want to know why *you* do)

I own several Deans because, one, I discovered their ergonomics was perfect to me; two, they do sound great; and three, I also discovered I could afford them more than Hamers. :D

Do you want more Hamer USAs?

Yes. I still want a Korina Vector and one day I'll purchase one, but for now I have other priorities in my life.

Do you only buy them when the price is irresistible?

No. I've paid more than 1K for at least five Hamers in my life, and I still own two of those --my blueburst and my camo Vectors were 1.2K and 1.5K, respectively.

Do you only want certain types of Hamers?

I love Vectors and do favor them, but I also like the Diablo, the Centaura and the Talladega. Phantoms with 6-in-line headstocks also get me really excited.

All specs being equal, does the name "Hamer USA" on a guitar make you more likely to buy it? All specs being equal, does *not* having the name "Hamer USA" make you less like to buy a specific guitar?

Yes! The Hamer USA logo is what says that, well... it's a Hamer USA, and those are guitars I absolutely (though not unconditionally) love. :P

What would make you restrict your collecting to only Hamers? Is that even possible?

It would be possible only if Hamers costed the same Deans cost. :)

What could make you willing to restrict yourself to playing only Hamers? Is that even possible?

See previous answer. :lol:

Do you consider yourself a Hamer collector more than a guitar collector or vice versa?

No. In fact, I'm not a collector at all. I like having several guitars, but I play them all. Guitars are meant to be played!

Do you consider yourself a guitarist more than a guitar collector?

Yes. See previous answer. :lol:

Would you say that a Hamer USA is a necessary part of a professional/serious guitarist's guitar stable? If so, which one(s)?

No. Players should use what fit them better and what they like better sonically. Hamer is just one posibility amongst many others.

Would you say that a professional/serious guitarist should stick to one brand? Why or why not?

No. See previous answer. :lol:

i don't mean this in a disrespectful way... but this one - to me - is a bit of a silly question. simply put... we are all lovers of guitars here right? and hamer isn't the ONLY brand... but it is a very good brand! also, not all of my "other" guitars are big brand names... a "vinetto" for example.

The questions were just trying to elicit thoughts. They were NOT trying to imply anyone should restrict themselves only to Hamers.

Like I said, I myself have many non-Hamer guitars. But my reasons might not be the same as someone else's, so I was just curious. I just wanted to hear what other people think about guitars.

Emphasize: these questions were not intended to be judgmental, but a starting point for discussion, just like you did.

Thanks! :D

Morris Davis has my old black Special. I sold three of them last week because I decided the neck was too small for me. Keeping the Eclipses, Special FM, Studio and three imports.

aside from my signature ibanez and my acoustics, i have no reason to buy other brands then Hamer. Ill explain why. I dont like fenders, I dont like gibsons, Except for my Ibanez's, i dont like imports. I dont like guitars with enormous headstocks i.e. Dean...........Cannot f'n stand those huge wingy headstocks.

I dont like bolt-ons, I dont typically like painted instruments, though I have 4. Over the years ive been willing to buy whatever i play that i like regardless of these opinions, but opinions change over time, i have found.

I like thin necks, I like fat necks, I like tone, I like singles, I like hums. I love set necks, and thick deep clear coats and beautiful would grain.

I like heavy guitars, i like light guitars. very much like zorrow, i play all of them. Ive stated this before here, Ive never picked up a USA Hamer that I didnt like.

Ive never had to constantly adjust the necks or action or intination on any of them.............EVER !!!!! They always stay set up regardless of humidity, temp, you name it. I just pick them up and play the shit out of them!!!!

Why would I ever play something else. Ive played hundreds of different guitars, and none of them make me happier or solicit the same excitment and devotion than Hamer has.

Have I had my issues with custom orders like others, YES. did it turn me off? YES for a time, but I came back for all of the reasons stated above.

i grew up mostly on fenders and gibsons (3 each). i'm 100% hamer usa right now (3, all used, but have owned close to 25).

they are the best bang for the buck and the most consistant quality.

that said, in the last 5 years i have also bought (and sold) dean/kramer/washburn/ibanez/g&l;

the only one that came close was jeffro's g&l (it was better than 90% of the hamers i've owned, but i'm not a strat guy).

• 2 weeks later...

I have 1 import, Danelectro. I never really play it.

3 others which I consider to be of practical value.

81 Hamer Special Opaque Red

87 Ibanez 540S

2004ish(?) PRS Swamp Ash

Each guitar does its own thing. The Ibanez was made in Bensalem, PA and I believe the craftsmanship cannot be found equal nowadays. It never disappoints me. The later Ibanezes feel cheap, no matter how expensive.

The Swamp Ash I just traded a 74 Tele Deluxe for it from a country music artist who is a part of CMT. (I'd name drop but he gets guitars from PRS and has ethical concerns) I'm not crazy about the bridge, but the sound is there and I can understand why/how the guitar is driving everyone crazy.

The Hamer I played through years and years of frustrated economic times in college and beyond, and I value it like a firstborn and would never consider selling it after owning it now for 24 years. (G-d I'm old)

I have 2 Diablos (both USA) and a 24fret Prs (2007) Gibson Les Paul (2005) 2 Ibanez' s 1 Jem 1 RG750 USA Strat (Which I hate)

I mostly Play The Blonde Diablo as it a great guitar to play and everyone who plays it says Hamer got that one right from day 1 as it's 20 times better than the 2nd one I have.

Dave

All my electrics are Hamers.

1993 Special FM

2001 Duotone Custom (F-Hole)

1996 Artist Custom (my fav)

All the rest of my guitars are acoustics including Martin, Alvarez-Yairi, Dobro and others.

This post just won't die, will it? :lol:

I have to admit, my own tastes/needs/loyalty have changed a little bit since I started this thread.

I have too many guitars. One of the reason I have too many guitars is that a bunch of semi-cool guitars were available on eBay for prices I couldn't resist.

What I've come to realize (and maybe this is a little unfair, but...[shrug]) is, with Hamer I can have minor variations on a 22-fret H/H TOM-bridge guitar, or I can have minor variations on a 24-fret H/S/S FR Trem-bridge guitar.

Sure, there are appearance variations, and tonewood variations...but in the end, I think the difference between 2 Hamers of the same type (H/H or Shredder) is going to be much smaller than between a Hamer and another brand of guitars.

How much difference am I going to have between 4 Centauras? I think I would end up just playing 2, and having 2 sit there unplayed. Whereas a Peavey Vandenberg might have SD pickups, and the Ebony fretboard and short-scale 24 fret neck I can get on any Hamer Deluxe/Custom shredder...but for half the price...and the Kahler 2700-series trem is different enough that I have a reason to pick it up and play when I wouldn't for Centauras #3 and #4.

And Hamer has nothing like the Schecter PT Aviation Series collectible. Or nothing like the stupid little Cort Electric Guitar that has 2 single coils and 2 volume controls, but no switch.

And the looks, feel, ergonomics, sound, and playability of my Jon Kammerer is enough different, I don't think I could get a Hamer to replace what it provides me.

All of which is trying to say: I love my Hamers. There are 4-5 I can never bear to let go. But once I get beyond those 4 or 5 or 6, I end up with redundant guitars which would take the place of other cool guitars that are different than anything Hamer does.

So count me as someone who is semi-loyal to Hamer.

Archived