Hamer Fan Club Message Center

4 Digit Standard #190 FS

Man its gets hard to not just put a 4 digit up FS and just watch it print money. Mine was the best investment I ever made, and not to mention a fantastic guitar to boot!

I've heard some people say that this time period for Hamer had a small occurrence of super thin necks that are problematic. Can people here chime in about that at all?

Never heard that one, and I've owned several '79 Standards myself that were perfect. Could you be thinking about the earlier neck twisting on some of the pre-3pc neck Sunbursts or issues with the early 8 and 12 string (single truss rod) basses?

True it's more of a sunburst thing, but I have seen a couple really small neck standards in this # range, one I played a couple years ago had a slight twist, but played fine with no tuning issues. It was the string gauge comment that scared me, I can't play hamers with springy necks. Could just be a setup/trussrod thing, but I sure would want to test drive this one first... Hope this one turns out ok for the new owner.

I would have to say mine has a pretty slim neck on it. But its nowhere near the 81 Sunburst that I had.

The potential neck problematic still touches me. So, I went to the auction page and read the description again. The most important part is this I think.

"Intonation and fretwork are excellent. Electronics and electronic hardware all function as they should. The neck is straight and not twisted, as I have tried to show in the pictures. The neck is very thin and sensitive to string gauge. A set of 9s causes the slight and expected bend up."

First of all, intonation and fretwork are excellent. For me this is the most important sentence of all, because it says that tone wise the guitar plays and sounds correctly.

As far as I know, Hamer did not use stressed necks at the time. This implies that the neck must be more sensitive to string gauge changes than a stressed neck would ever be. Simply, because higher string gauges apply more tension to the neck than lower ones. "A set of 9s causes the slight and expected bend up." That's where the truss rod comes into play.

"The neck is straight" tells me that there are no issues with the neck as a whole. Thin or not thin or whatever thin means, this "thin" neck survived 32 odd years without having any technical issue. Looking at the photo shows that the buyer would have to tighten the truss rod a bit to lower the action and receive a wonderfully playable vintage instrument.

BkqdsPB2kKGrHqMOKjsEsm1T2mL-BLYdnNK.jpg

From my point of view there are no technical issues at all with this guitar. There was nothing to fear about. It just needs a little setup after all these years. The only point left to me is a matter of taste whether I like the particular 59 burst of this one or not.

After all, compared to the November auctions. This one was a nice-price.

You must be kidding me. Using 9's causes the neck to bend up? That's it, end of story. The thing is not fine. Now, who knows the reality of the guitar, what it needs, what the problems are. Maybe everything's jake.

All I'm saying is that you tell me in a print ad that the neck bends due to having 9's on it, I'm out. Period.

Looking at the photo shows that the buyer would have to tighten the truss rod a bit to lower the action and receive a wonderfully playable vintage instrument.

Yes, but assuming that can be done as far as the new owner needs it to be done. i.e., the truss rod is not close to fully used for that already.

I also find odd the 9 gauge comment. I would tend to thing that the lighter the gauge, the less that problem appears.

I own #0189 and James Honeyman-Scott's was #0188. Cool to know 3 in a row and they all look similar as does #0192. Wonder what #0191 looks like and where it is.

I have had 10-46s on mine for 25 years. Plays well. No neck issues. Now body binding..... :D

I also find odd the 9 gauge comment. I would tend to thing that the lighter the gauge, the less that problem appears.

My thoughts exactly. I play .10s at a minimum, so if .009s are causing problems, there's more afoot there in my opinion.

Archived