Hamer Fan Club Message Center

4 Digit Standard #190 FS

Not a big deal, but it's a '79, not a '78.

(I owned #0137 and #0150, both were from 1979.)

Must be a sign of the economy...When I first rolled into this forum, ANY talk of a 4 digit coming up for sale would result in 2 pages withing 24 hours...3 days, and I'm reply #5?

Sweet assed guitar. Would love to have one...

Must be a sign of the economy...When I first rolled into this forum, ANY talk of a 4 digit coming up for sale would result in 2 pages withing 24 hours...3 days, and I'm reply #5?

I'll be interested to see the last 15 minutes of the auction.

Kinda' scares me that he says...

A set of 9s causes the slight and expected bend up. Action is slightly higher than a nice Les Paul.
That's a 'red flag' for it plays like crap and I'm posting there's something wrong so you can't come back to me later that I didn't tell you so.

Just my 3¢

He doesn't mention the refret, does he?

What tells you it's got a refret?

A good refret should not affect resale that much unless the guitar is 100% mint otherwise. Changing the frets is just regular maintenance.

As long as the refret is done well, it shouldn't affect price that much if at all. I've seen some butcher jobs (not by our Butcheral, he probably does great work based on some of his builds that I've played). My '76 Standard was refretted in 1978 by one of the "name" luthiers in the US-he scratched the date and his name on the inside of the control plate. Mind you, in 1978 the frets of that guitar could not have been close to wearing unless they were made of pudding or something (the guitar is stupid clean), but the original owner wanted larger frets on the guitar. That will not affect the sales price one bit if I ever decide to sell that one.

Weird goings on. He had several bids and it was up to $4400 yesterday. Today all bids are gone and it's back down at $4100. Did he reject all the previous bidders or did they all cancel their bids? Either way, something doesn't smell right.

Bids were retracted. Explanation is that the seller changed the description and one person entered the wrong amount. Click on the bid history. Not sure if that is the actual reason as I don't see anything in his revision that would send up an additional red flag.

I've heard some people say that this time period for Hamer had a small occurrence of super thin necks that are problematic. Can people here chime in about that at all?

Never heard that one, and I've owned several '79 Standards myself that were perfect. Could you be thinking about the earlier neck twisting on some of the pre-3pc neck Sunbursts or issues with the early 8 and 12 string (single truss rod) basses?

Anyways, it's gone for the little 4.1k.

One thing's for sure. Recession is far from being over.

Prices still decline.

Prices still decline.

If I wanted to spend big bucks on a 4 digit, it would not have been this one.

His remarks on the neck made potential bidders scary, I guess.

I don't think this auction is exemplary.

Prices still decline.

I wouldn't say that. I've sold a dozen four digit Standards, most which were older than that one and many that were far better just by looking and I never got that much for one! Close on one, but that was at the height of the good economy.

I've heard some people say that this time period for Hamer had a small occurrence of super thin necks that are problematic. Can people here chime in about that at all?

Never heard that one, and I've owned several '79 Standards myself that were perfect. Could you be thinking about the earlier neck twisting on some of the pre-3pc neck Sunbursts or issues with the early 8 and 12 string (single truss rod) basses?

True it's more of a sunburst thing, but I have seen a couple really small neck standards in this # range, one I played a couple years ago had a slight twist, but played fine with no tuning issues. It was the string gauge comment that scared me, I can't play hamers with springy necks. Could just be a setup/trussrod thing, but I sure would want to test drive this one first... Hope this one turns out ok for the new owner.

I had in mind there were two 4-digits trading >5k in November . I could not find the total of those in the threads, but one was #192.

This one wasn't that bad for my opinion.

I had in mind there were two 4-digits trading >5k in November . I could not find the total of those in the threads, but one was #192.

Yes, that's what I remember as well. I sold my last flametop four digit in the middle #0100s three years ago before the economy tanked and it was a good one but I didn't get that much for it. That's ok, it's in a good loving home now! Then again, economy or not, I wouldn't part with either of the ones I have left (both sub-#0100) for a couple times that price!

Yes, that's what I remember as well. I sold my last flametop four digit in the middle #0100s three years ago before the economy tanked and it was a good one but I didn't get that much for it. That's ok, it's in a good loving home now! Then again, economy or not, I wouldn't part with either of the ones I have left (both sub-#0100) for a couple times that price!

How does four digit Standard compare tonesise to an older Sunburst, like a 78? I've never tried any standards. I'm not crazy about the visual look of them, more into SC or Sunbursts. But, I'm thinking I might be missing something, people seem to rave about the Standards!

Archived