Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol where are you?

LostArt

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danzig Guitars; can I get an AMEN!!

+1 I look forward to the day when I can spend thousands more for what will probably be a '59 Burst Artist.

ROTFLMAO!!!

In any custom color you want as long as Jol likes it.

What I want to know is, will this thread get more replies than the Taylor Swift one?

excellent and extremely relevant question, inquiring minds just gotsta know..............

I just got off the phone wit Dennis Udice at KMC Music(the parent company of Hamer and a division of Fender). According to Dennis, Hamer continues and Custom Orders will still be taken. This is not the end of Hamer guitars.

Dialed Jol's old extension at Hamer and got the following message: Jol Dantzig no longer works for Hamer if you need to speak to him call Frank Untermayer.

Well I am shocked and unhappy with the change. I can't forsee the future but Hamer has always been associated with Jol. Whether you agreed or disagreed with some of his decisions he has been directly resonsible for designing and producing some mighty fine guitars. He is a Hamer icon. I hope he lands on his feet and is able to do something he loves!

ArnieZ

What I want to know is, will this thread get more replies than the Taylor Swift one?

Or that Palin thread that threatened to exceed the Boobies thread? That was pitiful.

I'm sure Jol will be back in the guitar building business one way or another. I wish him the best of luck.

Also, I hope that the incredibly talented team of builders at the shop continue doing what they do so damn well.

Best of luck to all of them!

I can't forsee the future but Hamer has always been associated with Jol.

In my mind, Hamer has always been associated with Paul (what with the name and logo and all). To me, Jol's departure simply means a complete and final disassociation with the past. How that will affect the direction of the brand and the quality of the guitars moving forward remains to be seen.

So who's going to be the first to step up and order a new Californian?

This is a surprise and is upsetting. But the world will go on turning.

Jol will land on his feet doing something that he enjoys. Maybe he wants to try his hand building custom sports cars. Maybe he'll start his own brand of guitars. Whatever he does, he's proven he has vision and the ability to succeed.

I hope the craftsmen at the factory will keep working, nobody does it like they do! Their skills are remarkable among an elite subset of designers and builders.

Times have changed, and the 80's shred era is fading. Hamer will have to find a course that fills the future needs and desires of guitar buyers. Maybe they can create markets, or maybe they will have to find them.

In any case, their new leader better have a good vision of where Hamer should be going. It seems doubtful that FMIC will kill the brand or the products outright.

I just got off the phone wit Dennis Udice at KMC Music(the parent company of Hamer and a division of Fender). According to Dennis, Hamer continues and Custom Orders will still be taken. This is not the end of Hamer guitars.

Thank you for the update, Greg!

So who's going to be the first to step up and order a new Californian?

I will try to order a Vector with a Schenker color scheme. I'll let you know.

That would be cool, maybe I should go for a matching 4 string. The last price I got was pretty steep for a no frills VBass.

It's a shame he lost his job, but he's no different than the rest of us who are unemployed at the moment.

(Poe edit) Let's not go *there* again please.

(Poe edit) Let's not go *there* again please.

But I had a good reply!!!

"That depends on what your definition of "is" is."

Well. This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope jol got a nice 'buy out'. Donno if he was under contract or not. The brand loses a lot when he walks out the door. I will think at least 3 times before buying any new Hamer past current stock.

Just by weird coincidence, my better half's father went to his last day of work yesterday.

Been with the same company for 35 years, and now is officially retired.

In his case, he's pretty psyched with a nice chunk of change, and a ton of free time.

I love Jol to pieces, and I hope he's maxing and relaxing.

And you can have my Hamers when you pry them...

:ph34r:

Geoff

I recall Jol having left Hamer somtime in the early '90s for a bit, no?

Was acting in a "consulting" capacity and then later came back.

If he decides to venture into "Dantzig Guitars," I have that 6,000 sq, ft. empty church near Ft. Wayne I'd be happy to offer him to use, since he seems to have a warm spot for working in cool old buildings. Get him back to his Midwest roots.

Archived