Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol where are you?

LostArt

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he decides to venture into "Dantzig Guitars," I have that 6,000 sq, ft. empty church near Ft. Wayne I'd be happy to offer him to use, since he seems to have a warm spot for working in cool old buildings. Get him back to his Midwest roots.

Hey, and then a factory tour would only be 100 miles away for me, instead of, like, a million. :)

Maybe he could partner up with Rob at Valvetech Amps. He's just a skip and a jump down the road outside of Fort Wayne.

Now that I think about it, I don't know how Van-freakin' Wert would deal with a couple of busloads of Hamer (errr, Dantzig) crazies. :ph34r:

I think I'll wait until the word gets around, then put my "Pre-Fender" Slammer Daytona up on the bay for some stupid money. :)

First of all, Jol, if you're reading, thanks and best to you. It's a shocking and sad day for us here at the store.

Spoke with some other folks in both the office and factory today. Nuts and bolts are as follows:

The guys in the shop continue to work on all 3 brands made in New Hartford.

Hamer the brand continues under FMIC.

Obviously there are more questions than answers right now. While everyone I spoke with continues to do their job, they're all sad to see Jol go.

Is there anything solid to suggest that perhaps after more than 30 years of Hamer Jol simply hasn't chosen to go live on beach somewhere and drink Tequila with Buffet?

Yeah, gone. Just after he finshed that custom order shredder with boomers for Warren.

If you think this is sad fo us, think about those guys who moved from Illinois and the people he raised to make some might fine made-in-America product. They are true craftsmen.

Or the dealers. Think about the dealers. And the mouths they have to feed.

First of all, Jol, if you're reading, thanks and best to you. It's a shocking and sad day for us here at the store.

Spoke with some other folks in both the office and factory today. Nuts and bolts are as follows:

The guys in the shop continue to work on all 3 brands made in New Hartford.

Hamer the brand continues under FMIC.

Obviously there are more questions than answers right now. While everyone I spoke with continues to do their job, they're all sad to see Jol go.

Who is currently in charge of the Hamer brand?

Well. This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope jol got a nice 'buy out'. Donno if he was under contract or not. The brand loses a lot when he walks out the door. I will think at least 3 times before buying any new Hamer past current stock.

Yes. First think of Dave Brown, then Mike Shiskov, and then Gary Pirro (sp?). If those guys are still employed I wouldn't be worried about quality at all. Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't mean to discredit Jol's contribution to Hamer but he has not been actively "hands on" in the building process In quite some time. Would it be safe to say his role has been more in Design and management?

so the prices of used hamers just went up IMHO

Maybe, maybe not. If the real world doesn't know or care then it may not affect prices.

Besides, if the demand was not there for Hamer to continue making off the rack models, will demand really increase. With the change to custom order only, the supply side of the equation came to a grinding halt (at least once all existing stock is sold).

I'll put up my Ultimate for $10k and see if I get any takers. ;-)

Sad, but not that surprising. Jol via his blog and Facebook presence certainly seems to have stepped up the promotion of his own brand over the past several months. Pure speculation, but maybe he's been planning this for a while. Either that or it's the self-promotion that caused his departure.

I cherish my Jol-era Special, and am very curious to see what he has in store. Maybe he'll even participate on this board sometime.

Oh, and I still love my Fenders. It's not like they killed your dog, geez.

I wonder if he had a contract and a non-compete agreement. He might not be making any guitars for at least six months.

Actually, it might be funny to see his take on a Hamer variation. Or on a Fender.

At any rate, if they don't sell him the business (and why would they since they are making other brands there), it could take a while to set up a new shop, stockpile the wood, etc.

At any rate, if they don't sell him the business (and why would they since they are making other brands there), it could take a while to set up a new shop, stockpile the wood, etc.

Dean would probably hire him. :ph34r:

Well. This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope jol got a nice 'buy out'. Donno if he was under contract or not. The brand loses a lot when he walks out the door. I will think at least 3 times before buying any new Hamer past current stock.

Yes. First think of Dave Brown, then Mike Shiskov, and then Gary Pirro (sp?). If those guys are still employed I wouldn't be worried about quality at all. Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't mean to discredit Jol's contribution to Hamer but he has not been actively "hands on" in the building process In quite some time. Would it be safe to say his role has been more in Design and management?

Yup! Jol bragged on those guys and their talents. Each guy has his part in the quality of the end product.

As long as the guys that Jol trained are still building Hamers the quality will remain. Perhaps, but only if they are the time and latitude to pursue that level of detail and quality. My gut feeling is not so sure that that's how things will go. And I think that Jol was still the buck-stops-here leader who rallied the team you refer to. We'll see but I think they're headed for something very different.

I just feel sad.

I know from all endings come new beginnings and all, but it is so nice to have something that lasts with permanence in this crazy world.

Over 30 years, Wow! Who, or what can say they/their business have lasted and prospered for so long.

I keep on hearing the Green Day lyrics, "Nothings built to last" in my head.

Well, Thanks Jol and Crew for all your hard work, dedication, and Incredible Artistry!

No one can every take away all you created, and all the Good your guitars mean to all of us.

Thanks, Jol. Loved the commitment to excellence. Loved what the guitars and music they helped create. Even more so when I discovered some of my favorite guitar players growing up were playing your instruments. Best wishes in your new endeavors.

I keep on hearing the Green Day lyrics, "Nothings built to last" in my head.
Except for the instruments themselves. Look how many stellar older models, 10,15, 20 years old, that keep traveling around here that show no signs of slowing down. That's a legacy.

Archived