Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol where are you?

LostArt

Most of the models mentioned above were introduced while Jol was away- he didn't go "frugal". In fact there was a lot of reluctance to do the Daytona/T51 models. IIRC, that idea came from Kaman marketing, not from anyone at the Hamer factory.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jol was trying to market the Hamer line to a customer that can afford those prices and has the mindset that the more something costs the better it is.

+1 here. My thought exactly. Cross-reference Guitar Aficionado.

+1 here as well. I'm a firm believer in the 'Law of Diminishing Returns'.

Are we talking about Hamer or US Masters?

El, I was attempting to answer holLoWskull's question as to why Hamer's "frugal" models did not sell.

Gotcha. Not hating, just don't like USM heads, but typically don't mind (any) Hamer heads, except for the paddle on 8's/12's.

Actually think one of the coolest Hamer head/body combos is Standard bass/Cruise head like SirD's Korina.

What was up with Daytona's and T51's being so heavy?

Gotcha. Not hating, just don't like USM heads, but typically don't mind (any) Hamer heads, except for the paddle on 8's/12's.

Actually think one of the coolest Hamer head/body combos is Standard bass/Cruise head like SirD's Korina.

What was up with Daytona's and T51's being so heavy?

I have definitely played my share of heavier Daytonas and T-51s, but I think that's an over-generalization. I've owned two lightweight ones and one that was on the lighter side of medium. All were/are under 8 lbs though, and the one I have now is a complete feather.

If you'll recall, the whole "lightweight craze" thing really didn't start until the late '90 with reissue LPs. Overnight, heavy guitars became a bad thing, and everybody equated lighter weight guitars with better quality. Weight was probably a factor to some degree, but probably not all that important in the early/mid-'90s, especially on a lower-priced line. It wasn't limited to those bolt-ons either - I've played a couple of the '95 Korina Standard run that were total cinder blocks.

If Hamer makes a Thunderbolt that streets out between $15-2000, I'd buy at least one-no question.

I think they could sell a lot more of those, have an exciting design, a unique guitar that would generate a buzz, and one that could very well put Hamer on the front burner. Seriously. Make them in mahogany, upcharge for korina. They are very cool guitars-I played Nielsen's Hamer Tbolt and his Fernandes. They are not Gibson copies-Hamer made them first (1995). Gibson made two in 1999 that were copies of the Hamer.

I'd buy another one!

If enough people want them, I will order them.

Interested parties contact me. If it flies, there is no reason not to do it. Hamer is now willing to do stuff that previously was "too obvious" according to a former employee.

I want to see Hamer succeed, as do we all. So....be proactive. Instead of complaining(not that everyone here IS complaining).....be part of the cure.

I'd buy another one!

Wait a minute, you have one Already?? That sounds like sparkling news to me.

Peter

I'd buy another one!

Wait a minute, you have one Already?? That sounds like sparkling news to me.

Peter

:huh:

Looks like Gibson went cheap with the harpoon guitar (reverse V).

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Reverse-Flyin...p;pfRdReplace=1

It was an Amazon gold box deal earlier today. $750 shipped.

Some of my favorite guitars of all time are Gibsons.

That is not one of them.

Jarts............remember those, what happened to them?

Little Johnny next door had one sticking out of the side of his head?

The federal government banned them in 1988. Here's a reminder to destroy them if you have some:

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML97/97122.html

Or you could do the smart thing and not let little kids play with them.

Or you can do the smart thing at the your neighbours kids play with them, if you find them noisy and annoying.

Jarts............remember those, what happened to them?

Little Johnny next door had one sticking out of the side of his head?

The federal government banned them in 1988. Here's a reminder to destroy them if you have some:

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML97/97122.html

Or you could do the smart thing and not let little kids play with them.

Or you can do the smart thing at the your neighbours kids play with them, if you find them noisy and annoying.

:D Or you could give them to the adults, depending on how bright they are...

Looks like Gibson went cheap with the harpoon guitar (reverse V).

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Reverse-Flyin...p;pfRdReplace=1

It was an Amazon gold box deal earlier today. $750 shipped.

Some of my favorite guitars of all time are Gibsons.

That is not one of them.

That may just be the most embarrassing thing they've ever done. Who could have possibly signed off on those? They need to cut back on the crack. I love me some Gibby's but there is no excuse for that.

That may just be the most embarrassing thing they've ever done. Who could have possibly signed off on those? They need to cut back on the crack. I love me some Gibby's but there is no excuse for that.

One of the most embarassing, but they took it in the nose pretty good for that absolutely IDIOTIC "Hendrix" thing last year (as they should have).

Add to that the sheer stupidity in executing things like the "Dusk Tiger" (Oooooh!!) and "Dark Fire" (Oooooooooh!), you've got the Tifecta of outoftouchedness right there.

Disclaimer: Although the following information is "secondhand", it originates from a reliable source.

I spoke to a Fender sales representative a few weeks ago who told me that Jol was no longer associated with Hamer. He didn't specify whether Jol left of his own volition, or if he was fired. However, he did say that Jol's position at Hamer in recent years was more or less that of a "figurehead", and that his involvement in the day-to-day operations of the company was very limited. He said that for the past few years, Jol was only in the office about one day per week. He also mentioned (in a somewhat offhand manner) that perhaps Jol would become more involved with his automotive endeavors.

The sales rep. also told me that Hamer will discontinue mass-production of the American-made models, and adopt a "Custom Shop", or special-order only business model.

My understanding is that when Fender bought Guild, they shut down the production line in Connecticut, and filled the orders they received by building the instruments by hand in the Fender Custom Shop.

Also, it is my opinion that the Gretsch guitars built in Japan, are far better than any of the original American-made Gretsch guitars. I've lost count of the number of vintage Gretsch guitars I've seen that were either poorly assembled, and/or are literally falling to pieces.

My understanding is that when Fender bought Guild, they shut down the production line in Connecticut, and filled the orders they received by building the instruments by hand in the Fender Custom Shop.

Please clarify- shut down WHICH production line? Hamer or Guild?

Archived