Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol where are you?

LostArt

My understanding is that when Fender bought Guild, they shut down the production line in Connecticut, and filled the orders they received by building the instruments by hand in the Fender Custom Shop.

Please clarify- shut down WHICH production line? Hamer or Guild?

I think he was talking about the Guild shop in Westerly, RI (not CT). I also thought that the Guild Electrics were the only thing that Fender's Custom Shop was actually handling. I could look into that for sure.

As we all know, Hamer has not been shut down, and Guild Acoustics are being made as well or better than ever in New Hartford.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fender rep may have heard things, but unless he heard it first hand from Jol or someone in the factory do not take it as the definitive story. Just like in other businesses, there are people who think they have correct information and pass it along in good faith, but they get the details wrong.

Someone from Hamer needs to tell us WTF is going on?????

What CAN we now order?

will there be any reissues?

...........?

My understanding is the best way to find out these things is to contact your preferred dealer to request the Hamer you'd like and see what happens. At this point, it may be that no one at Hamer KNOWS what is going on any more than anyone here. FMIC is calling the shots, no?

My understanding is that when Fender bought Guild, they shut down the production line in Connecticut, and filled the orders they received by building the instruments by hand in the Fender Custom Shop.

Please clarify- shut down WHICH production line? Hamer or Guild?

I think he was talking about the Guild shop in Westerly, RI (not CT). I also thought that the Guild Electrics were the only thing that Fender's Custom Shop was actually handling. I could look into that for sure.

As we all know, Hamer has not been shut down, and Guild Acoustics are being made as well or better than ever in New Hartford.

My apologies for not being more specific, and my error in citing Connecticut as the Guild electric factory location.

Mr. Matthes is correct: I was referring to the Guild electric factory in Rhode Island, not the Guild acoustic or Hamer factories in Connecticut. However, I recall hearing a rumor that production of Guild acoustic guitars might shift to the Pacific northwest.

The point I was making with the Gretsch and Guild anecdotes in my earlier post is that life goes on, and that sometimes things even improve with corporate shake-ups/takeovers.

And I agree with Steve Haynie: although I believe my source to be reliable, what I heard should still be taken with a grain of salt.

What CAN we now order?

...........?

My understanding is the best way to find out these things is to contact your preferred dealer to request the Hamer you'd like and see what happens. At this point, it may be that no one at Hamer KNOWS what is going on any more than anyone here. FMIC is calling the shots, no?

+1,000 what Jaye says above. It's always been that way, probably always will be.

Mr. Matthes is correct: I was referring to the Guild electric factory in Rhode Island, not the Guild acoustic or Hamer factories in Connecticut. However, I recall hearing a rumor that production of Guild acoustic guitars might shift to the Pacific northwest.

The point I was making with the Gretsch and Guild anecdotes in my earlier post is that life goes on, and that sometimes things even improve with corporate shake-ups/takeovers.

And I agree with Steve Haynie: although I believe my source to be reliable, what I heard should still be taken with a grain of salt.

I think you're talking about the Tacoma debacle, right?

I also couldn't agree more about the Jpns Gretsch stuff. REALLY nice stuff, and better than any of the '50s/'60s vintage Gretsch guitars I've owned and played. Consistently good, too.

As far as sources, I'm not so sure that anything less than something direct from the horse's mouth is anything to be taken as gospel. I've heard some pretty nutty stuff from people who claim to know the deal, but most of them just heard it from a friend who...heard it from a friend who...

Thanks Chris. It will take all night to get that REO song out of my head.

Just give him a chance to grow.

its your birthday

You should be dancing. Yeah...

Yeah, I know. it's your unbirthday. :huh:

What CAN we now order?

...........?

Well, I have already done that. I chose a custom order over a Standard to make it a Black Beauty Hamer Standard and my election was before knowing Mr. Jol had left the company. I tossed'n'turned a little bit, but I decided to go ahead.

This custom order has some details that had to be discussed and there has been active communication from both sides regarding this things. The order was finally placed a couple of weeks ago... I'll keep you updated and when it finally sees the light I'll post my impressions about this post-Dantzig custom order...

Cheers,

Juan

Archived