Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ori & Vai

BubbaVO

Holy sh*t. That was inspiring!! Gawddammmmm! Doesn't get too much better than that- one of my favorite all-time guitar players and arguably one of the hottest and most talented chick guitarists ever, jamming together. And the tune was pretty cool.

Ha, interesting that you posted this in "For Sale." Because her label is sure pushing her to be the next high school Avirl Lavigne demo pin-up.

And that's great... she probably is a kind and sweet person who's worked hard to get where she is and she is a fine player.

But if we posted videos of a GUY who was perfectly coiffed and choreographed, wearing 80s pop-rock clothes, strutting in a wind machine with Vai, people would be screeching about how this stuff was so plastic it made John Mayer look like like Lightin' Hopkins, and how there were 20 guys on the HFC with equal chops, etc.

I think anything that gets kids and girls into playing real instruments and practicing is GREAT and so I'm glad she's out there. Just think it's funny to see how very differently she is judged 'cos she isn't a guy.

But if we posted videos of a GUY who was perfectly coiffed and choreographed, wearing 80s pop-rock clothes, strutting in a wind machine with Vai, people would be screeching about how this stuff was so plastic it made John Mayer look like like Lightin' Hopkins, and how there were 20 guys on the HFC with equal chops, etc.

If it was a guy, viewers would think it was just Vai on a splitscreen. It's hard enough to tell Ori and him apart as it is. :ph34r:

-Austin

If it was a guy, viewers would think it was just Vai on a splitscreen. It's hard enough to tell Ori and him apart as it is. :ph34r:

-Austin

What? Are all them white people starting to look alike? :)

I think she's got a very prominent nose...ala Christy Hynde. At least that's who I thought of when I first saw Ori playing.

chrissie-hynde-live-3-latest-200x30.jpg

By the way, does Vai's tone sound particularly thin when listening to his parts against her parts? Or is it just me. (He ducks)

If it was a guy, viewers would think it was just Vai on a splitscreen. It's hard enough to tell Ori and him apart as it is. :D

-Austin

What? Are all them white people starting to look alike? :D

I think she's got a very prominent nose...ala Christy Hynde. At least that's who I thought of when I first saw Ori playing.

chrissie-hynde-live-3-latest-200x30.jpg

By the way, does Vai's tone sound particularly thin when listening to his parts against her parts? Or is it just me. (He ducks)

Yeah, though it pains me to say it. Her PRS was definitely fuller sounding.

Well, shouldn't a 25" scale guitar with a thick mahogany body, maple top, and mahogany neck with a 6-screw trem sound fuller than a 25.5" scale guitar with a basswood body, maple neck and a double-locking trem? It would be embarrassing if it didn't. Still, they both sounded like "Vai" if you know what I mean. Anyway, I can't f$#*#in believe that's on the same album as that tweener pop crap single. It's mind-boggling. I will definitely be downloading that song and would be all over an album of like-minded material.

-Austin

Ha, interesting that you posted this in "For Sale." Because her label is sure pushing her to be the next high school Avirl Lavigne demo pin-up.

And that's great... she probably is a kind and sweet person who's worked hard to get where she is and she is a fine player.

I think anything that gets kids and girls into playing real instruments and practicing is GREAT and so I'm glad she's out there. Just think it's funny to see how very differently she is judged 'cos she isn't a guy.

Ha, there is quite a number of Ozzies that based on that fact that she's a chick alone, she's overrated as a guitar player. However, most will agree that we are quite happy that she's doing well regardless. Irony perhaps??? :D

I'm not saying she is overrated. I mean she rips. Just that I've seen fat dudes in office clothes sit down at GC during their lunch breaks and shred at that level, and I STILL say our own Heardhearted Bill should be on magazine covers for his mix of chops and sheer imagination.

No, I'm not in shock that an attractive young woman will do well in the music biz :D

Well, shouldn't a 25" scale guitar with a thick mahogany body, maple top, and mahogany neck with a 6-screw trem sound fuller than a 25.5" scale guitar with a basswood body, maple neck and a double-locking trem? It would be embarrassing if it didn't. Still, they both sounded like "Vai" if you know what I mean. Anyway, I can't f$#*#in believe that's on the same album as that tweener pop crap single. It's mind-boggling. I will definitely be downloading that song and would be all over an album of like-minded material.

-Austin

Violet Journey is her import disc that has gotten some good reviews. I haven't heard it, so I can't say an more about it. But I'm impressed enough with what I've already heard to order it.

I'm not saying she is overrated. I mean she rips. Just that I've seen fat dudes in office clothes sit down at GC during their lunch breaks and shred at that level, and I STILL say our own Heardhearted Bill should be on magazine covers for his mix of chops and sheer imagination.

No, I'm not in shock that an attractive young woman will do well in the music biz :D

I was agreeing with you, not so much disagreeing with you... :D

come on guys their guitars werent even pluged in!

Implying what? I'm inclined to overlook that fact in light of it's a music video, not a live performance caught on vid. Does anyone have any doubt that those two played every single note of that song? I've seen Vai live 4 or 5 times and I know he's certainly capable of those notes and then some.

I'm glad for her. She can certainly play, and she's also a ver cool person. I used to exchange emails with her back in the days when she wasn't very known --BTW, I swear to God I only discussed with her about guitar-related stuff. I still have her personal email around, so I've thought about writing to her again more than once; but after she made it as Michael Jackson's guitarist, I confess I feel a bit shy about it.

I think if Michael Jackson hadn't bought the farm and she'd done the tour with him, all the musicians would be singing her praises a la Jennifer Batten

She's good, but she's ankle-high to Jennifer Batten.

Now I'm not saying she stacks up to Jennifer Batten, or Steve Stevens, or Steve Lukather, or anybody else who has played with MJ, but I think people's perception of her would be a lot different if that gig had worked out for her. Either way she is no slouch.

First and foremost, I'm glad to see anyone who inspires a new generation to play and listen to guitar based music. That being said (you knew it was coming...) it seems to me that Vai was holding back BIG time. I wonder if there would have been near as much buzz had she been around say 25 or so years back?? Seems to me it takes a lot less skill to impress joe public than it did back in the days of excess.

Jennifer Batten she is not...

First and foremost, I'm glad to see anyone who inspires a new generation to play and listen to guitar based music. That being said (you knew it was coming...) it seems to me that Vai was holding back BIG time. I wonder if there would have been near as much buzz had she been around say 25 or so years back?? Seems to me it takes a lot less skill to impress joe public than it did back in the days of excess.

Jennifer Batten she is not...

+1...I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Some of the Mike Varney produced Shrapnel artists were technically brilliant yet received little more than a blurb in the back of a guitar magazine back in the day.

When I see the video it kind of reminds me of the Brad Paisly/Keith Urban Start A Band video where you have one very good guitar player trading licks with an amazing guitar player. She is very good and will most likely become even better, but she ain't ready to be cuttin' heads with the likes of Steve Vai just yet :D

Does it bug anybody else that the stereo panning is backwards? In other words' Vai's on screen right, but his guitar is panned to the left speaker. Ori is on screen left, but she is panned to the right. It's really confusing for me to hear .

Does it bug anybody else that the stereo panning is backwards? In other words' Vai's on screen right, but his guitar is panned to the left speaker. Ori is on screen left, but she is panned to the right. It's really confusing for me to hear .

I heard it on an archaic Mac G4 with one lousy factory speaker. Didn't notice the panning.

I bought her album out of curiousity. It isn't bad, and it certainly isn't all teenie bopper stuff. Some AOR type stuff on there, as well. Her playing is great throughout, and I love that she sneals some great leadwork into that first single.

Archived