Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Studio custom with a wrap tail?

Mindseyes

I have recieved my Koa Studio and I'm sure that i'll move to a different style bridge asap. I use my bridge as my anchor and I am killing my sustain since the strings are just sitting on top of the bridge. ;) Look absolutly amazing with just a few tiny dings on the back side. I'll get pics tomorrow for ya all.

G and B are sitting on an adjustable slider and they have a completely different tone than the other 4 strings. Yes, before anyone comments I know that thats because they are the G and B strings....LOL

I found one, again with P90's but WOW does that look good...

Hamer%20Special%20Quilt%201.jpg

It is a 2008 guitar and they called it a Special Custom... it look like a flat top to me, but I am not positive or is that what the Specials were is flat tops? I assume solid body?

Confession: I am an intonation pussy.

There. I admitted it.

That being said, i have NO ISSUE with the intonation on this little fella:

09_AKP90_Full.jpg

I was planning on putting a PigTail on it, but really found no need to.

The claim is that the less moving parts under the strings, the better the tone. Makes sense to me, but my ears are made of tin, so i won't even try to go there...

I'm very interested if that Faber works out well... ;)

I found one, again with P90's but WOW does that look good...

Hamer%20Special%20Quilt%201.jpg

It is a 2008 guitar and they called it a Special Custom... it look like a flat top to me, but I am not positive or is that what the Specials were is flat tops? I assume solid body?

That one does indeed have a flat top.

-

Austin

The carved tops are a bit of a problem with "upgraded" compensated bridges. They become a pretty tight fit.

I did a LP-DC 1998 or 97 I believe it was with a Leo Quan. It worked but the Carve profile made it tight. Its got to be the same with the Hamers Carves.

I haven't owned a Comp Hamer. So they might "not" be the same as the LPs but I would think they are.

They catch my interest though. There were a LOT of things I liked about the LP-DC Compensated. I A/B'd it with a DC Standard and it blew the Standard away. Fatter 59 neck on the Studio also.

I been eye balling those Newp. 90s double bound with the Wrap for awhile. Not sure what I'm gonna do next.

BTW The intonation isn't as much as the issue as the individual string adjustment. IF you can live with the set-stock bridge as the string path is? IMO its a better look. Well like I mentioned. I've upgraded a few going back and always think I'll like the guitar better. Then I put the upgraded bridge on? I "always" long for the original look?

Though the design above is pretty good also. Trim and clean. But ya, they just get too big and Gawdy looking. And as Chris and I touched on with the carve? Could be a problem with string height?

Archived