Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamerhead's 77 Sunburst restoration.

BCR Greg

Question

Young Tim(Hamerhead) can give the backstory on this one. When it arrived at the shop, this is what I found in the case.....

1HHS.jpg

2HHS.jpg

3HHS.jpg

Yes, that is a truss rod channel full of bondo, a THICK layer of brushed on paint and a severely broken headstock.

Looking closer at the back of the neck, we find....

4HHS.jpg

Why, the neck's nothing BUT bondo!

A couple of hours later.......

5HSS.jpg

Good God, this thing is worse than I though! If I hadn't found this....

6HSS.jpg

...I would have trashed it. BUT....it's the 89th Hamer Sunburst made, from 1977. After a long phone conversation with our owner, the decision is made to move forward.

Full armor on, kids, this one will be a battle.

Well, I've had time to take a cold shower and regain my composure a little bit, but still - holy shit. The only word I can think of to describe it is 'magic'. The finished product is so far beyond my expectations I'm having a hard time getting a grip.

Wow. Just wow.

Greg is also very good at restoring melted finishes on Standard basses.

I wish I still had the original pics to compare with the end result.

Wow-it's been a while since I fondled a 77 Sunburst. The bursts on these are just sublime-my favorite Hamer finish ever. They really "floated" the colors beautifully on those-very 3D.

Greg the best part of this repair is the part that nobody noticed. Their are no longer any mini switch's. I had to go back to the first page and then I was like wait a second...... :ph34r:

Wow, I missed that! Amazing amazing work!!!

Good eye there, bubs! Everybody was so awe-struck (and rightly so) at the neck repair that they missed the 'third eye' getting fixed. It's so well done that it's easy to overlook.

Basically, everything (save the bridge and tuners) was replaced because, well - none of that other stuff belonged, ya know?

I can't wait to hear them Rios. I mean, besides the time I picked up the phone to hear Greg just wailing away on it. That was so cool.

Your gonna love it!

77 BCR Repaired Head with Rio's!

103_0388.jpg

Whatever it cost to do THAT...was worth it!

That repair is gonna give another 30 years of live to the guitar. That's really cool.

Well, it's wired up with new Hamer pots....

HSS22.jpg

..and the original rosewood shim is back under the bridge....

HamerheadShim.jpg

So after making a new truss rod cover, and final assembly, here is the completed guitar....(drum roll)......

20HHS.jpg

21HSS.jpg

HamerheadSunburstCompleted.jpg

HamerheadSunburstMarshalls.jpg

The Rio Grande Barbeque and Genuine Texas sound KILLER in this bad boy. I tried to buy it from Tim, but he isn't selling!

greg, that is just amazing!

you do some FINE work sir!

Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freakin gorgeous!

Of course the part that always burns me is that if the person who owned it during the first break had taken it to someone of Greg's caliber in the first place, it most likely would have never ended up in the state it was in. If you have a headstock break and are serious about keeping the guitar, TAKE IT TO A REAL TECH/LUTHIER! In the garage with wood glue and bondo is NOT the way to repair any guitar.

Archived