Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Had a great time on the phone with Paul Hamer today.

Many thanks Paul. Your name and work even made it's way over the deep ocean to the old world and infected some people's live there as well. :blink:

Hi Paul and welcome. I never had the pleasure of working for you as I joined up after you left. I was wondering if you ever see or talk to any of the guys like Curtis, Bill Thome, Steve Ward, Mike Caouette, etc?

Every year I have a dinner at The Cliff Dwellers Club on the night and time that Monty and I completed the first guitar. I always invite people who were instrumental in helping me in the early years. Every year I ask Curtis and every year he has had a conflict with his work. Hopefully this year will be different. Curtis is one of the nicest guys and a very talented guitarist, he was an early guitar student of mine and one of Northern Prairie Music's first customers. He was also instrumental, along with Ned Babb in developing the Virtuoso! . Curtis is one of the unsung hero's of the guitar world.

I saw Bill about 10 years ago and haven't seen him since. Don't know about the others.

Paul Hamer

:blink:-->

QUOTE(David B @ Apr 2 2010, 11:33 AM)

So great to have you here Paul. Sam Moss (dealer in NC) introduced me to your guitars in 1983. I got this from you after my first Hamer purchase. That meant a lot to a 12 year old kid!

PaulHamernote.jpg

Thank you for sharing that note. I wrote a eulogy for Sam that I hope made it into the papers down there. I still get choked up thinking of him, he was quite a guy. Also thank you for being a 12 year old who was far ahead of his time!!!! Paul

Welcome Paul !!!

I'm sure you have some stories that would absolutely enthrall the whole HFC.

I used to have one of those Paul Hamer autographed letters with my Blitz I bought back in '84. The

guy I sold it to was ADAMANT about me throwing it in the deal, or I'd still have it. :blink:

Paul Hamer .... RAWK!

Dear Lord: Thanks for all your support in keeping the name alive, it is greatly appreciated. Paul

Wow - Paul Hamer! :D

Great to have you on the forum.

(I spoke to you MANY years ago at the Frankfurt music trade fair in Germany.

You probably remember me............. :P )

It's hard to remember everyone but I always loved the Messe. One thing I always wanted was to have an International guitar company and I thought that if I made the investment in International sales slowly that might come true. The first year I went I don't think I even had a booth. The second year Larry DiMarzio kindly shared a booth with me. Thanks for remembering!! Paul

Welcome Aboard Paul. I see you have been a member for awhile but I for one missed it.

First and foremost, thanks to you for going to Woodstock! :blink: I read it's partly because of that event in your life, I'm lucky to own several Hamers including 5 pre '81s including Standards 0076 and 0189. Been a Hamer fan since early '78 and an owner since '82. Life Is Good! Thanks for making today just that better by joining in. Hope to read more from you.

Thanks Greg for helping this to happen. :lol:

Wow, 0076 and 0189! I think 0189 is very close to the serial numbers of the guitars that John Belushi ordered as thank you to Ron and Keith for the Stones appearing on Saturday Night Live. One day Curtis Meissner came to me and said "Paul, we really need to keep a record of these instruments" and so we started a log book. We tried to back fill serial numbers by looking at old invoices and filling in from memory. If it wasn't for Curtis we wouldn't have a record at all! Paul

*snip* .....I think 0189 is very close to the serial numbers of the guitars that John Belushi ordered as thank you to Ron and Keith for the Stones appearing on Saturday Night Live. ...... */snip*

wow, that is very cool info. Thanks Paul, and welcome!!

mike

Every year I have a dinner at The Cliff Dwellers Club on the night and time that Monty and I completed the first guitar. I always invite people who were instrumental in helping me in the early years.

Now how cool is this? That would be a great dinner to attend.

Thanks for thinking of the others.

:blink:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David B @ Apr 2 2010, 11:33 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

So great to have you here Paul. Sam Moss (dealer in NC) introduced me to your guitars in 1983. I got this from you after my first Hamer purchase. That meant a lot to a 12 year old kid!

Thank you for sharing that note. I wrote a eulogy for Sam that I hope made it into the papers down there. I still get choked up thinking of him, he was quite a guy. Also thank you for being a 12 year old who was far ahead of his time!!!! Paul

Sam was my and my brother's (Cmatthes) local dealer in the 80s when we lived in Winston. He always had such great custom Hamers. When you consider that his shop was about double the size of a broom closet, that made it all the more impressive. He was one of the first PRS dealers in the country as well, but I remember not being as knocked out by them as I was with his original Electraglide.

Great to see you here, Paul-love hearing even the smallest stories-it's all great stuff-thanks for posting!

It is somewhat fitting - - and I am not being sacrilegious - - that this Easter weekend I have a sense of hopefulness, revitalization or resurrection of the Hamer heritage. The last few months have not been been particularly positive. But info coming out of Connecticut and the appearance of Paul Hamer here is innervating.

Onward, lads.

Wow! How very nice. I feel like we need to watch our language in here now! :blink: Seriously, I am down to two electrics now and of course one has your name on it, built under your watch. No one else I've found really made that combination of solid construction and gig-worthy design.

*snip* .....I think 0189 is very close to the serial numbers of the guitars that John Belushi ordered as thank you to Ron and Keith for the Stones appearing on Saturday Night Live. ...... */snip*

mike

#0189 went to Dave Hlubek and I got it in December 1982 after a 60 day layaway for $425 from Ralph's Pawn Shop in Jacksonville, Fl. Dave had pawned it and few other guitars. I also bought #0415 a Black and White Vector Dave had pawned. Foolishly traded it 4 years later and it is my "One That Got Away" guitar. :P:blink: I got the Vector for $400 on that same layaway plan. :blink::blink::D

Life IS Good! :lol:

Whackhead, #0076, and Sherry Baby, #0189

8sunpair.jpg

Here's my letter from 1981:

Letter-from-Paul-Hamer-1.jpg

I still have the guitar:

Ken_withSpecials_49K.jpg

Quick, hide the stash, dad's home :blink:

Welcome to the board Paul. You know, you're name has reached far and wide. In the mid 80's, the Hamer name had a mystique to me here in Australia, and my local shop had a bunch of new Hamers, but I snagged the 'used' Sunburst 7 0094 that was proudly displayed in the window. I've been addicted ever since.

David

Welocme aboard Mr. Hamer. The stories that BCR Greg told me about you were just great.

I played when I was a teenager. Then about 6 years ago I started back into playing. I met BCR Greg when I started back up. That is when I was shown Hamers Git Fiddles. I now have 6 in my stables at this time. I am sure that there will probably be many more it the future.

You have given so much enjoyment to so many people world wide. Just look at the Club members here they come not just from this country but sooooo many others.

I for one thank you very much for giving me so many happy years with a fine and great git fiddles. If I play bad it is not because of the equiptment for sure.

Wishing you great health, happiness, and love from Mad Man Mike and Family.

mike

#0189 went to Dave Hlubek and I got it in December 1982 after a 60 day layaway for $425 from Ralph's Pawn Shop in Jacksonville, Fl. Dave had pawned it and few other guitars. I also bought #0415 a Black and White Vector Dave had pawned. Foolishly traded it 4 years later and it is my "One That Got Away" guitar. :o:blink: I got the Vector for $400 on that same layaway plan. :blink::blink::P

Life IS Good! :lol:

Whackhead, #0076, and Sherry Baby, #0189

8sunpair.jpg

That's a great story. I used to haunt the pawnshops myself. What ever happened to Dave?

Paul Hamer

Welocme aboard Mr. Hamer. The stories that BCR Greg told me about you were just great.

I played when I was a teenager. Then about 6 years ago I started back into playing. I met BCR Greg when I started back up. That is when I was shown Hamers Git Fiddles. I now have 6 in my stables at this time. I am sure that there will probably be many more it the future.

You have given so much enjoyment to so many people world wide. Just look at the Club members here they come not just from this country but sooooo many others.

I for one thank you very much for giving me so many happy years with a fine and great git fiddles. If I play bad it is not because of the equiptment for sure.

Wishing you great health, happiness, and love from Mad Man Mike and Family.

Mike: Thank you so much for your kind words and thank you for caring so much about the guitar. Paul Hamer

Quick, hide the stash, dad's home :D

Welcome to the board Paul. You know, you're name has reached far and wide. In the mid 80's, the Hamer name had a mystique to me here in Australia, and my local shop had a bunch of new Hamers, but I snagged the 'used' Sunburst 7 0094 that was proudly displayed in the window. I've been addicted ever since.

David

David: I love Australia!!!!! I spent many a happy day there traveling to Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, and Brisbane. What city did you find your guitar in? Paul Hamer

Here's my letter from 1981:

Letter-from-Paul-Hamer-1.jpg

I still have the guitar:

Ken_withSpecials_49K.jpg

Wow, how cool is that!!!!!! Great photos! Thanks for sharing the letter, I drove all over Texas many times visiting dealers and meeting guitarists. Fond memories. Paul Hamer

Wow! What an honor! Thanks for dropping in, Paul!

I'd been aware of Hamer almost from the get-go. I'd lived in Chicago in the mid-'70's and had been in Northern Prairie once or twice, along with Jim Beech's shop (I forget the name). I really took notice when an early Standard came through the door at Universal Recording, where I worked at the time. A studio guitarist friend had borrowed it and gave me the rundown on them.

It took about 20 years for a Hamer guitar, the money and me to show up in the same place at the same time, but I eventually got my first Hamer and haven't looked back.

Hey Paul,

Great to see you drop by and saying hello to everyone. Thanks for starting up one of the best American guitar companies around. If it wasn't for my friend in Hayward, CA in the late '80s playing his modified Hamer Standard, I would have never known how great Hamer guitars actually were. Drop by again and enlighten us with some of your cool stories.

Guitar George

Quick, hide the stash, dad's home :)

David

David: I love Australia!!!!! I spent many a happy day there traveling to Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, and Brisbane. What city did you find your guitar in? Paul Hamer

Paul, I'm in Sydney, which is where I bought the guitar - Eastside Music in Bondi, the store is no longer there. I'd love to know of it's history prior to my purchase. It was, and still is, in excellent condition.

Wow! How very nice. I feel like we need to watch our language in here now! :) Seriously, I am down to two electrics now and of course one has your name on it, built under your watch. No one else I've found really made that combination of solid construction and gig-worthy design.

I love that phrase "Gig-worthy design", may I borrow it at some point in the future? Paul Hamer

Wow! What an honor! Thanks for dropping in, Paul!

I'd been aware of Hamer almost from the get-go. I'd lived in Chicago in the mid-'70's and had been in Northern Prairie once or twice, along with Jim Beech's shop (I forget the name). I really took notice when an early Standard came through the door at Universal Recording, where I worked at the time. A studio guitarist friend had borrowed it and gave me the rundown on them.

It took about 20 years for a Hamer guitar, the money and me to show up in the same place at the same time, but I eventually got my first Hamer and haven't looked back.

Thank for your kind words. I still see Jim Beech every once in while here in Oak Park though he is mostly traveling the world in an international sales position, he has a son who is a great jazz guitarist. I remember Universal, I vaguely remember recording there for a three or four hour session with one of my bands. I think the Blues Brothers recorded there along with many great acts. Didn't Cream record one of their singles there?

Paul Hamer

Quick, hide the stash, dad's home :)

David

Paul, I'm in Sydney, which is where I bought the guitar - Eastside Music in Bondi, the store is no longer there. I'd love to know of it's history prior to my purchase. It was, and still is, in excellent condition.

David: I am just going on gut instinct here but I believe I originally sold that guitar to Daryl Miller who ran a store in Bondi Beach, I can't remember the name of the store. Daryl found me in early 1972 and I sold him many vintage guitars and later on when he found out I was building guitars he ordered a few early models. Years later he bought a bunch of Sunburst and Special models. In those days he was very knowledgeable about guitars and was really into it. Later some of his staff took over the store and they were great to work with as well and were super nice to me when ever I visited. Once I had sent ahead a shipment of 80 guitars via boat to Sydney, I arrived six weeks after I sent them only to find there was a dock strike in Sydney Harbor. I waited daily for the shipment at Eastside Music and finally started hanging out on Bondi Beach by day and Kings Cross by night and checking in with Eastside at the end of every day. That went on for 5 weeks!!!! Finally they arrived.

I use to rent a truck in Sydney then drive to Canberra and Melbourne and Adelaide, then fly to Perth, fly to Brisbane and finally back to Sydney. Hope that helps. Paul Hamer

Hey Paul,

Great to see you drop by and saying hello to everyone. Thanks for starting up one of the best American guitar companies around. If it wasn't for my friend in Hayward, CA in the late '80s playing his modified Hamer Standard, I would have never known how great Hamer guitars actually were. Drop by again and enlighten us with some of your cool stories.

Guitar George

GG: Thank you for saying so many nice things about the guitar. Would that have been Spitzer Music that your friend found the guitar through? I visited them several times at the Hayward store, the San Francisco store and I think they had one other. Paul Hamer

Wow! How very nice. I feel like we need to watch our language in here now! :P Seriously, I am down to two electrics now and of course one has your name on it, built under your watch. No one else I've found really made that combination of solid construction and gig-worthy design.

I love that phrase "Gig-worthy design", may I borrow it at some point in the future? Paul Hamer

Oops, can you tell I work in advertising? :) But yes, the usual Hamer layout of vov-vol-tone with pots that actually adjust the sound in a musical way, with the selector switch not only in the right place but angled right, and sturdy strap buttons in the right places... very rare to find guitars made for the reality of playing without looking down at the guitar to figure out how to change its sound.

Archived