Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Fretboard Preference

Fretboard Preferences  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love ebony and composite/phenolic is amazing for slickery ease of movement...

And I've never played on a cocobolo board, but i think if it felt like sandpaper, I'd still choose it for the look!! Actually, it's dense, hard and oily, innit? One of these days...

What I called "acrylic" may be composite/phenolic, dunno. It does have slickery ease of movement...if anything it is just like ebony, just more so (harder, clearer chime-like tones, faster, etc).

I've never heard of cocobolo. I'll have to look into that.

Just have rosewood on my guitars, so checked the counter.

Somehow, I never spent much thought in this.

Ebony number 1. For Fender types (Strat, Tele), I prefer Maple over Rosewood. Just don't like Rosewood for fretboards. No sir, not one bit.

Ebony does it for me. I like Rosewood/Alder with Teles and Strats though.

No wolf-tones with the ebony but everyone is gonna have their preference I believe. Hey I can deal with Ash/Maple others wouldn't have it any other way?

Indian Rosewood or Vulcanized maple. I have 3 IRW guitars that just bloom like crazy. I love ebony only for the looks & feel but many times I think my guitars would have been better served with a different 'board. The ebony boarded guitars are the worst offenders when it comes to tuning stability. They really like to drift sharp right on the stand.

I rethought my position, and I'm now completely convinced that I like whichever one looks best on a given guitar.

I could type some reasonable-sounding rationalizations if I chose to, but in all honesty (for me) it's just about the look.

depends on the sound I want and the mood I am in-

Maple for fast, brighter rock-

Rosewood or ebony for deeper tone-

Stockings and a garter belt for that sexy tone

I rethought my position, and I'm now completely convinced that I like whichever one looks best on a given guitar.

I could type some reasonable-sounding rationalizations if I chose to, but in all honesty (for me) it's just about the look.

I honestly can't tell if the neck material makes that much of a difference. My Daytonas are both ash and one has a maple fretboard and the other has rosewood. When they were stock, they pretty much sounded very similar. But then you run them through some distortion and who the hell knows what's going on. Well...maybe someone with good ears. So that's not me.

I like my strat-types to have that maple fretboard. It just looks right to me that way. Same with a tele. Simple slabs of wood. Primal. But with a carved top, I prefer darker fretboards - reminds me of fine furniture.

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. Every guitar is different and I set the controls to what sounds right for the night and play. For that matter the same guitar can sound different with identical amp and guitar settings, but in a different room. So, I don't get real uptight about fretboard material, neck size and profile - I just play 'em. Maybe that's because I'm just mediocre!

I have 3 maple, 1 pao ferro, 2 ebony, 2 rosewood. The 3 maples all feel really different because one's nitro, one's glossy poly, and one's satin poly. The nitro is a Nash, and I wish the back didn't have any finish rubbed off because the finish has no tack or stickiness at all and feels great. New nitro is sticky as crap though, but maple is going to have the most variation due to the different finishes. The other 3 types, I notice the difference in looks a lot more than any difference in feel. How would I know if they sound different-they're all on different style guitars. Rosewood has the most grain-the others are tight grained. Ebony is the slickest and probably hardest. Do I prefer one over the other? Depends on the guitar, but in general for the darker woods, not really.

I've been accused of wearing basses like ties.

Right now it's an ebony board on a black transparent bass.

Last week it was Maple on inca silver and rosewood on salmon pink.

Next week who knows.

I just can't make up my mind!

• 3 months later...

Ebony for me, rosewood next. I have only liked maple on one guitar, the sillouette (music man) felt great, sounded gorgeous.

The only other one i want to try is the cocabolo. Stole my idea, I had that cab made out of it and thought, if i ever have a custom built, i want a cocabolo fretboard.

Im not envious of anything................except that fretboard, it actually almost angered me :D:P

Ebony is my favorite, but the majority of my guitars have rosewood boards. I used to have a LOT of ebony boards, as ebony is carvin's standard fretboard wood. But, of the Carvin guitars/basses I have now, 1 is ebony, 2 are rosewood, and 2 are maple. Overall, if I count basses and acoustics, it breaks down like this:

Ebony: 2 (Carvin CT6M, Gibson SG Supreme)

Maple: 3 (Carvin Bolt, Carvin B4A, Fender Tele)

Rosewood: 8 (3 Hamers, 2 Heritage, 1 Gibson, 2 Carvin)

Did anyone say MorningWood yet?

Like, "What's the story Morning Glory(Wood)? Ah, How a thread can sometimes digress....

depends on the sound I want and the mood I am in-

Stockings and a garter belt for that sexy tone

Ah, The Ultimate Tone==The Sexy Tone!!!

Archived