Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ed Roman + Hamer original Sustain Block bridges

Ah...that makes sense then, I guess!

He needed to hack up that LP to get the neck. You know, that's the best way to go about getting a neck.

I just remember him at the guitar shows trying to pass his homemade Gibsons off as the real thing. He would look you straight in the eye and say-this one's from the Custom Shop-look at that top! With a sign "1959 Gibson Les Paul Reissue" next to it.

I wonder how many people fell for that crap.

^^ ha! I thought the same thing. So conversion means "replace the whole thing but the neck, and sometimes even the neck too.

I was in high school in the early 90s and went to East Coast Music Mall regularly because of the repair guy there.

I can't remember his name, and he was pretty burned out, but he did all kinds of crazy mods I asked him to do,

including making a set of EMG's and a set of Mike Christian piezo acoustic saddles run off the same power supply in a Carvin bolt kit I made.

(Of course, before I discovered the blessed Duotone :) ) He did great work, and always found a way to make whatever I wanted to do *work*.

What was his name?... Ugh. Anyway, there were a couple of really cool staff there too. Some resurfaced when I was teaching at the NGW years later.

But they were all cool, in spite of Ed, Haha.

My memories of Ed are contrasting, like the man himself. He was always very nice to me directly. I was a young kid and a decently respectable player who was friendly and cool with all the sales guys, so he was never a dick to me directly. An occasional off-color joke to me, but in a old biker kind of way.

On the other hand I saw him say and do shit that I would not inflict on my enemies' dog to people, especially customers, that blew my mind.

Being simultaneously condescending, insulting and provoking. It was a talent, I think. Or a compulsion, who knows.

And then, as whoever he just talked to blinked and moved on, he would literally turn around and make a foul joke, laugh and waddle off.

So I've got nothing against him personally, but I remember even back then thinking, "Wow, I wouldn't trust this guy as far as I could throw him..."

Archived