Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rick's Hamer Day Tripper Special question

Other than the photo from Rick's book has anyone seen the guitar or more photos of it? I want to know if it had the Beatles logo on it anywhere and where Rick, Robin, Tom and Run E. the only names on it?

If I recall, it also has the Fab Four names on it, as well as a few other things. I don't recall seeing a Beatles logo though. There is stuff on the back of the neck, sides and back.

I'll have to check the photo archives I've got from home tonight. Unfortunately, the pics I have are mostly live shots, so nothing like a full back/sides shot.

I had a stripped '81 Special a few years ago that I was going to get done like that guitar, but ended up selling it to fund something else, as always!

There was at least two other "Beatles" graphic guitars done back then in addition to Rick's. There was one on eBay about 10 years ago or so, and another that I recall seeing but don't remember if it was actually for sale. The graphics were different on all of them. I also saw an aftermarket job (GMW, maybe?) that was a white Special with the "Revolver" album cover graphic done.

Looking good - great work!

The lettering was standard-sized Letraset "Bookman Bold Italic". I don't have anything in a digital format right now, but I can scan some images once I find them.

Looking good - great work!

The lettering was standard-sized Letraset "Bookman Bold Italic". I don't have anything in a digital format right now, but I can scan some images once I find them.

It looks like Letraset Bookman does not exist anymore. All the versions are Old style and it's not the same at all.

I'll have to check if I still have it, but I bought several sheets of the correct Letraset (it is 100% definitely Bookman Bold Italic) a few years back when I was going to do that guitar. I bought out every sheet they had at an art store that was discontinuing it. Unfortunately, they stopped making it in white several years earlier - they only had black and ancient sheets of red in stock.

Everything switched over to graphic software years ago, apparently!

Letraset was just the maker of that presstype. The font itself is Bookman Bold Italic, and the variant is swashes (as opposed to regular). I don't know the key combination to get the swashes once you've installed the font, but you can get it here

http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/detail.htm?pid=415684

Presstype's gone the way of the dodo but I'm sure you can print this font mondo size to make a template or get it vinyl cut reverse to make a mask...

I have several sheets of black and white dry transfer Letraset BBI as well-I took Cmatthes' cue and cleaned our several art supply shops of the stuff.

Brad Delp owned one and I know where another one is/was. The one I know of was owned by Paul Hamer's brother. Not too far from the factory at least as of 2003 or so.

No help on the font. A few years ago I had wanted to do one like that and had the perfect canvas, a black P-90 Special. It was right about then that GMW quit taking outside work. I found a guy in England who made me a vinyl press-on decal from photos I sent him. Came out pretty cool and it even had a couple of spare pickup cover section in case I buggered it up the first time.

100_5834Smaller.jpg

Cool custom Roy! If you don't mind me asking, what would that sorta thing ballpark for thru you guys?

Edit: just dawned on me that this was likely a Hamer Special, judging by the Sustainblock and HB combination. Is this the case or is this your shop's creation?

Cool custom Roy! If you don't mind me asking, what would that sorta thing ballpark for thru you guys?

Edit: just dawned on me that this was likely a Hamer Special, judging by the Sustainblock and HB combination. Is this the case or is this your shop's creation?

It's a real 1982 (I think) Hamer Special that was messed up.

Can any one loan me a sheet. I'll return them right away.

It's been a nutty week, but let me see if I can find that stuff too (along with scanning some pics).

Can any one loan me a sheet. I'll return them right away.

It's been a nutty week, but let me see if I can find that stuff too (along with scanning some pics).

You could even just scan a sheet of the letter if that's cool.

Doesn't Rick's have The Beatles logo on the back?

The logo is upside-down on the back. This allows him to raise the guitar over his head and the logo is right-side-up to the audience. I've seen him do this a couple of times live.

Doesn't Rick's have The Beatles logo on the back?

The logo is upside-down on the back. This allows him to raise the guitar over his head and the logo is right-side-up to the audience. I've seen him do this a couple of times live.

That's what I thought as well. Anyone else got any live photos or any details of the guitar.

I forget, but isn't that one the Brad Delp guitar? A Sunburst too-very cool!

Archived