Hamer Fan Club Message Center

whatever happened to that purple hamer?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Hamer's new stance toward custom orders, perhaps you could order one just like it. We could start a run of Purple Hamer replicas...

It is in a safe place.

When we decide what we're doing with it, you'll all hear.

Trying to figure out what to do with it when the economy and guitar market totally tanked was just the icing on the cake, but it isn't going anywhere.

I would even keep the EMG's in that one. Give me :D

Me too! I don't know all the ins and outs, but from what I can tell, this guitar has been sitting in someone's house for years now. Seems to me it's about time to actually do something with it if the original intent has now passed.

passed.

passed around

Now you're onto something. Pass that shit around on the PIF/honor system. I'm sure the concerns will be that it'll be damaged in shipping or that noobs can't be trusted but also shouldn't be excluded, but we're a small enough community and one where face-to-face meetings are common so the guitar could be handed off personally, so those concerns could be minimized.

Personally, I won’t be on that circuit. Purple, EMGs, Floyd, a neck that’s essentially a fretboard with a finished backside ... no thanks!

One thing we can be certain of: the raffle thing ain't gonna work if we want to do it totally above board.

Sounds like you gotta unsolder your thumbs outta the guitar's control cavity and start planning a westward road trip asap.

One thing we can be certain of: the raffle thing ain't gonna work if we want to do it totally above board.

Definitely - Ebay is the only way to go~ :D

If it's sold who gets the profits? Maybe someone "in the know" can explain exactly why the guitar was built in the first place and how it came to be sitting around for so long? I'm serious as I'd like to know and I'd also like a chance to win the guitar if it was supposed to be given away.

If it's sold who gets the profits? Maybe someone "in the know" can explain exactly why the guitar was built in the first place and how it came to be sitting around for so long? I'm serious as I'd like to know and I'd also like a chance to win the guitar if it was supposed to be given away.

The guitar was made for Prince...dead serious. The rest...not sure.

Poe is correct about the guitar's origin.

No point in getting into the whole deal right now, but this was a gift to Ted Martin by Hamer as thanks for the HFC's support over the years.

Ted was told to do whatever he wanted with it basically - no conditions -and his original idea was to raffle it off to the HFC or something to raise some money to pay for the server costs, some upgrading, and possibly even donate the balance of the proceeds (not "profits") to a charity.

The problem is that we ran into a number of legal entanglements and extra expenses with even trying to do that, and it simply wasn't worth dealing with that at the time, so it was shelved. We won't do anything if it is not 100% above board and in compliance with any of the jurisdictional requirement concerns.

There was also the thought of putting it on eBay, but that was voted down (by HFC members) because of the worry that an HFC'er would not get the benefit of winning the guitar, and also due to the risk that that route may not even generate sufficient money to pay for site maintenence. This is one of the main reasons we haven't just eBay'd the thing by now - it simply wouldn't be worth the effort if we only raised $1,000 or something for it.

On top of that, there is a sense that many HFC'ers feel this guitar is "owed" to them - sorry, but it isn't. If Ted wanted to keep it under his bed or burn it in a backyard bonfire, both would be well within his rights. That's not what we want to do with it, but this whole thing has also not been a top priority - there are a lot of other things going on here that come first, and this site is not any of our full-time jobs!

Believe me, when we do decide what we're going to do with it, you'll be the first to know, as it will be posted here.

it's been in limbo for what 5 years now? put it on ebay and give the money to charity or make an artistic statement and burn it on camera

Prince has supported the following charities:

* City of Hope

* Edith Couey Memorial Scholarship Trust Fund

* Elevate Hope Foundation

* H.A.L.O.

* Jazz Foundation of America

* The Bridge

* Urban Farming

The guitar was given to Ted for what he's done with the HFC. There is no and never has been any "understanding " that it would be sold. The idea came up to raffle the guitar to defray some of the costs, etc. associated with the site, but there are legal issues with that that make it problematic, so that idea got shelved. Given the tendency of some people here (and formerly here) to believe in conspiracies cruel and nefarious, it probably would have created more $hit than it was worth.

Bottom line is that it is Ted's guitar. If he wants to strip the finish halfway off, tung oil the rest and swap tge Floyd out for a Wonderbar and nail it to his living room wall, he can do that.

This has all been explained in the past so if you never see or hear about a purple guitar again, it is not your concern. These threads are getting tiresome by now.

And no, I don't have the guitar!

Bottom line is that it is Ted's guitar.

Indeed. But it begs the question: why isn't it in his possession? It's certainly been implied that it's not.

You've never loaned a piece of gear to a friend? I know I have.

Pretty sure I remember the back is the same purple too, Austin. And the neck does feel like a fingerboard with a truss rod glued to the back of it. I'm not typically the fan of uberthin necks, but I remember the carve on that one made it pretty tasty under the hand. In short, the guitar kicked ass and I fell in love with it haha!

Archived