Hamer Fan Club Message Center

suggestions on metal etc

Early 90s overlooked metal album for me was "War of Words" from Rob Halford's solo gig, "Fight."

incredible album.................

get them scorpions records with uli on guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya5bGthIz4E

amazing , uli doing yngwie before yngwie had pubes..................

You guys are hitting all my faves!

Now I like Saxon and Krokus, they definitely rocked hard, but they are definitely coming close to the Spinal Tap line IMHO.

Buckethead is flippin' off the hook.

Classic 80s:

Melissa by Mercyful Fate

Abigail by King Diamond

Nightfall by Candlemass

Hail to England by Manowar (pretty silly but still rad)

If you want to get more technical / proggy check out:

Atheist

Pestilence

Death (Human and later is all fantastic)

Riot (not Quiet Riot) was a great band from the end of the 70's right before the explosion of hair bands in the early 80's. It was probably Mark Reale's thinning hair that kept that band from getting the promotion they deserved.

Riot (not Quiet Riot) was a great band from the end of the 70's right before the explosion of hair bands in the early 80's. It was probably Mark Reale's thinning hair that kept that band from getting the promotion they deserved.

Good point. He should have worn a baseball style cap all the time like Mathias Jabs does! Or, go bald like everyone else does now! For the record I love Jabs, and Riot was one of my favorites from that era...Swords and Tequila! We use to play about 2 or 3 covers of theirs. I also liked the basic, non over produced sound of their albums.

Maybe a little Spinal Tappish but I really liked Krokus. The first few albums were just like AC/DC then they developed a more metal style. Great chord and solo work on Midnight Maniac.

Loved old Motley Crue, Accept but Udo's voice may take some getting use to! Saxon. Something a little different would be Tygers of Pan Tang - John Sykes played with them awhile, more proggy would be Dream Theater. My favorite Scorpions albums = Animal Magnetism, Lovedrive, and Blackout - before that was more organic and after that was more poppish, but I liked it all. Getting MSG's first few albums (esp. the 1st two) is always a good thing. Although more of a hard rock band to me, Y&T's albums are great such as Earthshaker and Black Tiger (they get kinda poppy on parts of that one but still rock). And, some great guitar work on Loudness albums - some may not like the ESL/ Japanese voice. The guitarist, Akira, is very derivative of VH1 style but really comes into his own as the albums progress.

my top ten "heavier" metal albums of 80's-90's

master of puppets - mettalica

ride the lightning -metallica

among the living - anthrax

practice what you preach - testament

thunder from the east - loudness

piece of mind -iron maiden

powerslave - iron maiden

rust in peace - megadeth

vulgar display of power - pantera

war of words - fight

rock on metalheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uli! ;)

I am sooooo uneducated about some things, it would seem I have been in a cave for a few decades.

Thanks for that.

Z

its easy ... just do this! :D

Yeah, but where to get a hat like that? It must be the hat!

Z

Yeah, but where to get a hat like that? It must be the hat!

Z

Love his playing but he does look kind of like a Spanish-style, old-school Tampa Bay Buccaneer (not that there's anything wrong with that)!!

Check out his newer stuff like Metamophisis...or something like that. Very awesome playing.

Plus 1,000,000 on King's X and Dogman. One of my desert island faves. Their best-of is a good overview, and their newest studio album, XV, has the highest concentration of good tunes of the last several. They're re-issuing a TON of old live stuff from different periods too.

Dogman FTW. Ogre Tones and XV their recent releases are really good too. I have every KingsX album though and I like something on all of them, but I think Dogman is their best album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qv4p4mLKR4

Queensryche Warning, Rage for Order & their 1st album whatever it was called...

Self-titled EP (four tracks), independently released back in 1983.

I remember being blown-away back then when this aired on 105.5 KNAC in the L.A. area...

Queensryche - Queen of the Reich

ha! we used to play that tune. played a bunch from this thread, plus some borderline cheese;

van halen, maiden, priest, metallica, anthrax, megadeth, wasp, manowar, twisted sister, crue...

Classic 80s:

Melissa by Mercyful Fate

Abigail by King Diamond

Nightfall by Candlemass

Hail to England by Manowar (pretty silly but still rad)

If you want to get more technical / proggy check out:

Atheist

Pestilence

Death (Human and later is all fantastic)

I was a huge King Diamond fan- I'd take Them and Conspiracy as my faves. Stellar guitar work in those 2.

my top ten "heavier" metal albums of 80's-90's

master of puppets - mettalica

ride the lightning -metallica

among the living - anthrax

practice what you preach - testament

thunder from the east - loudness

piece of mind -iron maiden

powerslave - iron maiden

rust in peace - megadeth

vulgar display of power - pantera

war of words - fight

rock on metalheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ 1 on War of Words and Vulgar Display Damn, they were heavy! And just amazing leads in War of Words. Brian Tilce, I think was one of the guitarists in Fight.

How about Helloween? Very good Euro-metal from some shredders in Germany. Better than Scorps and Accept IMO.

Archived