Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rio grande pickups and cut!!!

Hey guys,

I had a gig the other night and ran my one LP and my Hamer Studio. Both guitars have Rio BBQ humbuckers in the bridge. My buddy in the audience who is a guitarists as well said I wasn't cutting through as well as when I ran using my Gibson Burstbuckers or the Duncan JB. This was the first gig I used the Rios all the way through.

Any of you guys have issues cutting with Rios? We play a lot of hard rock and drop to lower tunings as well.

Thanks all!

Guest teefus2

i ended up canning the bbq/tx combo i had in two hamer newport pros. they seemed overly compressed at stage volume and didn't cut very well (jsut like you mentioned). i went to fralin unbuckers (4.5/5.5 sets, iirc) in both my newport pros and never had a problem since.

When I got my latest guitar I went through my rig and re-tuned all my settings for it. Have you done this for your Rios? I don't think it's reasonable to swap out pickups and just expect everything to sound right without some tweaking.

It's hard to do your own sound. We videotaped a gig we did this month where we did our own sound and I heard a bunch of things that I could have improved in the mix. But it's hard to tell from the stage. Just because you sounded good at this venue before doesn't mean that you can attribute this time to the pickups unless you are willing to assume that everything else was identical to the last time.

-Jonathan

I guess it just seems weird tyhat whenever I use those pickups live I get similar complaints from the audience and sound guys. Many say it is muddy or just not cutting the mix. I have to admit that most of my guitars had bright or harsh pickups, for example the Burstbuckers from Gibson in a guitar so I had the highs set pretty low at times. Some of these setting were only slightly changed for the gig with Rios....D'oh! Smacks face! ;)

Guest Mike Lee

I put a Rio BBQ/Texas set in my Studio Custom and also found them to be too dark compared to the JB/'59. But I still thought the JB was harsh and upper midrangey, so I finally settled on a C5.

I put a Rio BBQ/Texas set in my Studio Custom and also found them to be too dark compared to the JB/'59. But I still thought the JB was harsh and upper midrangey, so I finally settled on a C5.

Hi Mike, the C-5 is nice but lacks a lot of the girth of the BBQ and similar pickups. I like the JB but found a pickup I like a bit more in the Gibson 498T. I tried this pickups since a friend had a set lying around and was surpised at how it sounded. With a 300k bridge volume pot, it sounded thick and smooth. This is in my Hamer Studio!

• 3 weeks later...

You amp's preamp section is gonna have a LOT to do with the final outcome there... Some amps are born for 'buckers and some just ain't. I won't mention specifics as to avoid the "my _____ amp works great with humbuckers" thread.

You might try lowering the pu on the bass side a bit and see if you hear any improvement.

KorinaHound

Archived