Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hate to say it but I think Hamer is done

This really bums me out because within a year the two builders I have supported have ceased to exist. Vinetto and Hamer are pretty much done. Vinetto is on hiatus for 4 months and Hamer discontinued all production guitars. Both of these statements point to anend of the line from what I can tell. The only electrics I have are two Vinettos and one Hamer, my Fender I'm trying to sell and would possibly buy another Hamer with some of the cash.

So I have to ask who's next?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamer is NOT done.

As stated previously in several threads, they are only doing custom orders. I have several in, they are enthusiastic about building guitars but will not have stock models any more.

Which is frankly where they should be I think.

Frank U just called me to point out that Hamer will still make ANY stock spec guitar. He wanted to make clear that Hamer is NOT done, and they look forward to making more guitars.

So basically, Hamer is no longer making guitars that sit in a warehouse. Fender determined the staff in the shop are too valuable to let go, so they were leveraged for building Guild acoustics. Hamer is now more flexible at custom order requests, and will (obviously) make a stock model on demand.

Sounds reasonable to me, or did i miss something?

You didn't miss a thing.

In case anybody else did, HAMER IS NOT DONE!

:lol:

Not done as stated several times. Why pay money for materials, labor and warehouse space only to have the product sit there? Other products are backordered and can generate cash NOW. Put your talent on that project.

Harryjmc, could I respectfully request that you slightly edit the title of your thread? The last thing Hamer needs is some Gear Pager or kid from Harmony Central doing a drive by here to read that and spread the rumor.

If people think they are done they may not even bother trying to place an order.

Which is frankly where they should be I think.

I tend to agree with that. For years dealers had a hard time selling stock models off the walls. There's enough production now with Guild to keep the luthiers busy. Let them make Hamers for people who know and appreciate the guitars

So basically, Hamer is no longer making guitars that sit in a warehouse.

Why pay money for materials, labor and warehouse space only to have the product sit there?

That's it exactly. I recently bought a brand-new Monaco SuperPro...with a 2008 serial number. That's a long time to have a guitar that lists for $4200 sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

I don't know precisely what verbage Hamer used to make that announcement, but more than a few people have come away with the impression that production guitars are gone and super high end customs are all that Hamer would build from now on. Perhaps if they had said "all models will now be built to order rather than to stock" they would have caused less confusion.

I don't know precisely what verbage Hamer used to make that announcement, but more than a few people have come away with the impression that production guitars are gone and super high end customs are all that Hamer would build from now on. Perhaps if they had said "all models will now be built to order rather than to stock" they would have caused less confusion.

IMO some of the confusion may have been caused by the "last" this or that for sale ads. If you think about it, its only the last one until someone orders another one.

Sorry guys but when a company say's all they will build custom ordered instruments they are pretty much done...at least to the masses. It saddens me to no end but to argue otherwise is really not being realistic. Suhr, Tom Anderson, Don Grosh sell instruments w/o being just a custom order shop, why did Hamer choose otherwise?

Sorry guys but when a company say's all they will build custom ordered instruments they are pretty much done...at least to the masses. It saddens me to no end but to argue otherwise is really not being realistic. Suhr, Tom Anderson, Don Grosh sell instruments w/o being just a custom order shop, why did Hamer choose otherwise?

Hamer didn't. FMIC did.

Hamer didn't - Fender did. They're making what they believe is the best use of their resources while still keeping the Hamer name alive for those who revere it.

*when I wrote this there were no posts by mcchris and mirroimij. I guess it was a timing thing because when I went back to see if my post was showing, there they were making me look like I was just repeating them. Sorry for any confusion.*

How about "The last Studio Custom in the Hamer Warehouse"?

That would clarify that it isn't the last Studio Custom ever.

-Jonathan

Take it from a professional: there's no room for explicit truth in marketing copywriting.

why did Hamer choose otherwise?

Why have your top builders making product that nobody is buying? Meanwhile, in another part of the building, they are struggling to keep up with orders.

This really isn't anything new. When they asked me to move to CT in 97 it was presented to me that the long term plan was to have us working on other products. BTW, the first Hamer guy to move to Connecticut (besides Frank U) went to work for Ovation. We followed him out there about a year later.

Hamer sales are slow/Guild sales are up and they need help getting the factory up and running after the move. The Hamer guys have already experienced this sort of thing with the M*A*S*H like move of 97 so they are helping out.

I think it is simple as that. But I don't really know shit and all this is my opinion only. That is one of the problems- as far as I know Hamer/FMIC has been silent or has only spoken through dealers. I wish Frank U would make a post here. He had an account (I know he had one he used to announce the death of a former coworker a few years back). Frank is a good guy and he won't let Hamer die on his watch.

Yes, thank you Geoff, I completely agree, as unconfirmed rumors are spreading ALL around here.

FWIW...Hamer has been the one maker I have been able to purchase, over and over agian, sight unseen, online, etc...and get exactly what I hoped for, and in many cases, exceeded my expectations.

Case in point, I bought a used Daytona a few years ago (BIG mistake in selling it). It actually arrived when my friend Matt was at my home, playing my EJ strat.

We pulled the Daytona out of the box, (old/dead strings), tuned it and A/Bed it against my EJ, recently set up, new strings, etc.

My friend Matt (great player, guitar teacher, tone guru) looked at me and said, "the Daytona has a HUGE, warm sound, like it's alive) The EJ sounds dead and lifeless compared to it. My man Matty! Just sayin.

Please talk to us Frank? :lol:

By the way, has anyone heard Joel's thoughts and feeling regarding these issues?

Thanks again Geoff.

Hamer Fan50

Hmmmm

Vinetto taking a hiatus = done????

I think that is a big assumption ( and when you assume....) ; )

Small builder wanting to take a break after selling a bunch of guitars, and going through a flood - why not take a break and as Vince said... take a look at what he was building and see what he'd like to build in the future.

His guitars were/are highly regarded, and sold well, just check on TGP. Wouldn't you take a 4 mo vacation if u could??

Archived