Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PRS Love'em or Hate'em?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I haven't owned any PRS guitar for a couple of years, I agree their proprietary trem is really nice. I prefer their Singlecut models and the SC Trems, but I played a DGT recently that was freekin' awesome.

Put me down in the "love 'em" camp. It took me a while to sort through all of the different ones and figure out what worked for me and what didn't. I've had and dumped a number of them, but I've got a killer PRS line-up now: McCarty Soapbar, Modern Eagle II, Modern Eagle III, Hollowbody II, DGT, and Custom 22/12. I love the wide-fat neck and the recent pickups (DGT, 57/08, and 59/09 are stellar.) And the "Narrowfields" on the ME III are fabulous...a great blend of Strat, P-90, and humbucker. And if I had to pick just one guitar out of my stable, I'd probably pick the DGT. That guitar can do it all.

(But I still love my Hamer USAs, especially the Standards. The vintage neck carve is very similar to the PRS wide-fat neck.)

Here are pics of the Modern Eagle II, Modern Eagle III, and Hollowbody:

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Ive played a number of them and never saw the attaction. The neck heel bothers me, seems unfinished somehow. They are good solid guitars but no better than other good solid guitars and birdies on the fretboard?....Really?

I have a McCarty, in Korina, with brazilian board. I'm pretty fond of that one.

I just picked up a used SE Soapbar II for $250. So far, I'm really digging this guitar. Mahogany double-cut body, flat-top, stop tail-piece and 2 p-90's. The wide-fat neck is fantastic. It makes my Hamers seem a little narrow by comparison. Having said that I've had some problems chording up the neck - but we'll see what a good set-up does. The guitar is quite light although I've tried other SE's that are heavy. There seems to be a fair amount of inconsistency in the line-up. But it does play very well.

As for the tones, compared to my Hamer P-90 Special they are clearer, less middy and generally more polite - all in a good way. My other guitars cut through better when using effects, but this one has a lovely voice when played clean or with moderate distortion. YMMV. I thought I'd want to swap the pickups and hardware immediately, but after playing it for 5 minutes I changed my mind. It sounds pretty darned good - and not just "for the money."

I generally don't like guitars that are too pretentious (or too expensive frankly). While I love the look of American PRS's, I would be afraid to really dig in on them. So in a weird way, I prefer the Korean SE's.

Downsides? My tech says there's a slight warp in the neck although after playing it for 2 weeks I have yet to notice anything. The finish is a bit thick - coupled with the light weight it sometimes feels like you're playing a plastic guitar. However I don't think that the guitar feels bad - just the opposite actually. So far, I'd say that these are great guitars. I recommend them.

LOVE my PRSi. None of them really overlap, but the standard custom body shape is damn near perfect for me. The various pickups have their good points and bad, and some PRS pickups just don't do it for me, but that's true of any brand. The higher access on the neck is the best I've ever had. The stability and reliability of them is untouched by any other guitar I've owned. Any.

I've never understood the "no mojo" thing - usually, when somebody says that, it's "I tried 206 Les Pauls before I found THE ONE with the mojo". So lots of bad, one good. But I've rarely found a bad PRS. Same thing with Hamers - just about every one I've played has been very good. So, because you don't find one that stand out amongst the rest, there's no mojo? Not buying that.

PRS's pickups over the past few years have been outstanding - lots of hits, very few misses. The 5708s and DGTs (I've had no experience with the 5909s) are stellar - probably my favorites. The DGT is possibly my favorite PRS - huge range of tones, lots of flexibility, and the neck just seems to disappear in my hand.

Alan

my '89 CU24 with a wide-thin is the guitar they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers. All the others may go, but that one (nicknamed 'the wife') stays. Mrs stonge approves.

The PRS Korina Limited series were pretty nice guitars, and a great way to get something non-standard (pun intended) in korina without paying PRS Custom Shop prices. I played a great KL-33 (basically a korina Santana model) that would live here right now if it weren't for the crap trade values on my Artist Korina P90 and Artist Korina HB (would have needed both guitars + cash).

I don't own one, but played once a PRS Santana and I remember it played and sounded like Heaven --which means heavenly tone and absolutely perfect playability. Never seen one again though. :lol:

neither hate nor love them. i just cannot bond with them. i've tried several versions over the years, but always come to the same conclusion...half strat, half lester. So, consequently, if i want to play a strat, then i play a strat. same with a lester....

pretty guitars rarely get played at my house... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i really like my prs custom 22 with widefat neck.

the width is very similar to my favorite shape of the maple cali from 91.

only thickness increases toward the body - the cali stays almost equal.

does anyone use the 57/08 with the 5 way rotary switch?

i really like my prs custom 22 with widefat neck.

the width is very similar to my favorite shape of the maple cali from 91.

only thickness increases toward the body - the cali stays almost equal.

does anyone use the 57/08 with the 5 way rotary switch?

I have 5708s in a McCarty Trem, but not with a 5 way switch. That guitar is my #1.

thx david,

i guess it is not possible because it has just one white wire to split.

maybe newest versions have 4 wires.

guess i'l switch to the mcCarty wiring, or mordern eagle?

could you please make a photo from your wiring?

thx david,

as far as I know all the PRS splittable pickups use 3 wires. The white (I think) is attached between the coils and which wires you ground control the active coils. More info probably on the PRS site or just email PRS customer service and ask them. If the pickup is 3 wire and the rotary is the "modern" style with a circuit board you just need to hook the pickup wires up to the right labeled places on the board. You might also have to flip a magnet in one of the pickups though to get the humbucking in all positions, if I remember correctly.

thx david,

I'll try to get to that, but not sure when. I think the PTC might be able to get a set specially made for the 5 way, but be prepared to pay $$$.

I've tried many times to like them... Years ago my wife thought they are "pretty" and had given me a free hall pass to pull the trigger.... but never found one I even kinda bonded with..... then again I've been Tele obsessed for about the last 12 years......

hate the heel on the mccarty's... its like a 2x4 block of wood in the way.. then again there arent many players i'd refer to as gunslingers playing them..

beautiful furniture to look at, but thats about it in my book..

hate the heel on the mccarty's... its like a 2x4 block of wood in the way.. then again there arent many players i'd refer to as gunslingers playing them..

I've never even noticed the heel. You must hate the shelf on a hamer amonaco

I've never even noticed the heel. You must hate the shelf on a hamer amonaco

I'm with you on this one DavidE, Ive been playing a few PRS single Cuts for the past few years now and while

those don't have the big heal the Modern Eagle I picked up a while back does, and like the shelf on the Monaco its a "non-issue" for me......dont even notice it at all....

Big heel was never an issue for me either. The upper frets are at least as easy to reach as on a Studio. I've had 4 CU22 Soapbars, but that's it so my experience is limited. I imagine I'll own a McCarty trem at some point when the right one hits my fancy, but that's the only current PRS I'm interested in. Like most brands, PRS is fine, not worked up enough about them to love them or hate them :D

-Austin

Big heel was never an issue for me either. The upper frets are at least as easy to reach as on a Studio. I've had 4 CU22 Soapbars, but that's it so my experience is limited. I imagine I'll own a McCarty trem at some point when the right one hits my fancy, but that's the only current PRS I'm interested in. Like most brands, PRS is fine, not worked up enough about them to love them or hate them :D

-Austin

I'm "down" to three McTrems. My favorite model. I could part with one. Cherry burst, 10 top and old birds in excellent condition. You have cash? Drop me a line. ;-)

Archived