Hamer Fan Club Message Center

*************Californian Fan Club***************

ton13

Show ur Californian if u r Cali Lovers..& share ur opinion

Standard , Elite , Custom , Deluxe , Modify , Upgrade , Import , Copy , Rare , Airbrush , Custom Order , Etc...

ad14_lg.jpg

Californian History

While Hamer was undergoing its business restructuring, the company continued to roll out more progressive models in '87, including two high-performance models in the Strat style, the Californian and the Virtuoso.

The Californian was basically a hot-rodded version of the Chapparal, but with a slightly downsized mahogany body that shared the same contoured offset double-cutaway profile. To increase access up the neck, the cutaways were scalloped. Hamer literature touted the added sonic resonance of solid mahogany "...that cannot be obtained by a neck-through design," a clear dig at competition such as the high-end guitars of Kramer and Jackson. The rock maple neck was bolted on and had a droopy Hamer six-in-line headstock. To facilitate real pyrotechnics, the Californian featured an extended fingerboard, slanted trebleward to 27 frets! The scale was Fender-style at 251/2". The Californian was outfitted with a bridge humbucker and slanted neck single-coil, either Hamer Slammers or OBLs. Controls included a volume knob set below the picking position on the strings and a three-way select down under the bridge, set at the angle your hand would take when reaching down to switch. The bridge system was double-locking Floyd Rose.

Initially there were two Californians available, the Standard and the Custom, both bolt-necks. The Standard had a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays and Slammer pickups, the Custom had an ebony fingerboard with boomerang inlays and Seymour Duncan pickups.

In '90 the Californian line changed around slightly. The Standard remained as before. What had been the Custom was now renamed the Californian Elite, still with a bolt-neck, ebony fingerboard, and boomerangs. The Elite had either OBL, EMG, or Duncan pickups. This had a figured maple body option. The Californian Custom switched to a glued-neck design, with a heel-less neck joint. In around '90, only some Californians were equipped with a Sustainiac pickup and circuitry.

In '91, a Californian Doubleneck was offered. This was similar to the Elite, but with six-string and 12-string necks, both glued-in. The top neck featured a straight headstock, the lower a droopy. This was available until '97, when the factory moved.

The Californian Standard lasted from '87 to '91. The glued-neck Custom was available until '92 or '93, although the concept would live on.

In '92, only a Californian 12-String was offered, basically an Elite with a figured maple top and fixed bridge. Also, the Californian Deluxe was added. It had the same styling but featured an alder body with a bolt-on maple neck. The fingerboard was ebony, with pearl dots and boomerangs on the third and twelfth frets. Hardware was gold. Pickups were stacked-coil active EMG humbuckers. The volume control was push/pull and served as a coil tap. The Californian Deluxe was also available until '96.

By '96 only the Californian Elite (Model GCAE) was left. This had a mahogany body and bolt-on maple neck. The fingerboard was unbound ebony with boomerangs. The headstock was droopy. Cutaways were scalloped. Pickups were Duncan Trembucker and Tremstack. A locking Floyd Rose vibrato completed the picture. Finish options at the time were black, Aztec gold, cherry transparent, emerald green, and natural.

Around '98, coincident with Hamer's relocation, the Californian became a Korean import, which we'll discuss in due time.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who ever seen Snake skin Cali ?

Who ever seen Snake skin Cali ?

Nope. But I have seen a reverse head stock-ed Cali and I want one, REAL bad. Any HFC-ers happen to come across one, gimme a holler! :lol:

Not the greatest pictures as I am traveling, but you get the point.....3 dragons and a Snake....Oh yeah, Thanks Jim O'Connor and Hamer!!!!

Here is a reverse headstock cali. I have others, but don't have the scans with me.

dragons.jpg

snakskin-1.jpg

Bluesinglecalifull2.jpg

I did find this pic of my reverse headstock scepter that is pretty fun (in a Jackson Kelley sort of way).

scepters1.jpg

enjoy.

Peter

Hamstd is my hero.

Hamerica

Not the greatest pictures as I am traveling, but you get the point.....3 dragons and a Snake....Oh yeah, Thanks Jim O'Connor and Hamer!!!!

Here is a reverse headstock cali. I have others, but don't have the scans with me.

dragons.jpg

snakskin-1.jpg

Bluesinglecalifull2.jpg

I did find this pic of my reverse headstock scepter that is pretty fun (in a Jackson Kelley sort of way).

scepters1.jpg

enjoy.

Peter

Hamerica's no slouch in the "Hero" department either!

:lol:

Some of these guitars are the best I've ever seen. Devnor's stand out for me. I doubt if I'll ever own one but I'll do all I can to get one...

My current guitars are: Hamer Diablo (Slammer Series) superstrat (made at the Cort factory, Korea, 1992), Peavey Rotor EX, Jackson DK2M & a hybrid Cort VX-2V (new RG style body in lacquered alder - V body smashed in transit)...

I'd love a USA Hamer one day - love Standards but prefer FR guitars so, the Cali has to be favourite...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for join this topic.

Hamer Custom paint made by Jim O'Connor ?

Who is Jim O'Connor ? I heard this name for long times.

Who have rare Cali just some pic for fans...

OOH! Snakeskin Cali? In Germany? I'll be in Munich in mid October. Perhaps the seller would be willing to hold off until then? :D

Still looking for a reverse headstock Cali. Reverse headstock in Snakeskin would be aces!!! :P

there is a snakeskin cali for sale in germany - but not cheap.

Archived