Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol re-surfaces, in Premier Guitar

G Man

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Jol, but three sentences in I predicted a Duncan would be his choice. :lol:

While reading the article, I wondered I had read this article before. I am sure he wrote about the human voice lesson before. Can't remember where. Maybe he has been written about it in the workshop blog.

Since I had not searched for it, I can't confirm though.

While reading the article, I wondered I had read this article before. I am sure he wrote about the human voice lesson before. Can't remember where. Maybe he has been written about it in the workshop blog.

Since I had not searched for it, I can't confirm though.

Hey Gorch, you're not imagining things! :lol: I remember a blog where he talked about the human voice anology too. I think maybe it was on the Hamer blog. I think it might have been in a part where he was talking about designing the pickups for the Talledega.

So what's everyones guess? Is Jol going to be bringing Dantzig guitars to market?

I love Jol, but three sentences in I predicted a Duncan would be his choice. :P

Really it took you three? :lol: They are great pups but I wish they would lighten up on the potting a little. The older ones just have something the new ones don't.

My first thought was, big fucking words for a guy who stuck Duncan '59s and JB's in almost everything for years and years. LOL....

My second thought was about the ridiculous upcharge to put in non-stock pickups in a new Hamer.

Really it took you three? :lol: They are great pups but I wish they would lighten up on the potting a little. The older ones just have something the new ones don't.

But the Seths are not potted. That's why they squeal. ;-)

My first thought was, big fucking words for a guy who stuck Duncan '59s and JB's in almost everything for years and years. LOL....

Except for the Newport with purpose-built handwound pickups, most Hamer USA's totally outclass the pickups mounted in them. I think it figured significantly in Hamer USA's lack of recognition and market penetration. It's like putting bias-ply retreads on a Ferrari.

Except for the Newport with purpose-built handwound pickups, most Hamer USA's totally outclass the pickups mounted in them. I think it figured significantly in Hamer USA's lack of recognition and market penetration. It's like putting bias-ply retreads on a Ferrari.

The Newport was the first sign of life after '59s and JB's. And Seths......

... I think it might have been in a part where he was talking about designing the pickups for the Talledega.

It's been talking about the pickup selection for the Talladega pro. The Pro was introduced in '08 that fits with my mind relating the article content.

The Newport was the first sign of life after '59s and JB's. And Seths......

...now outpaced by the Double Ds. :lol:

With all that arguing, I think it is a nice article to read if you don't have too much insight.

In all reality it is kinda of useless info for the common man. I mean, who has umpteen pickup sets laying around with a bunch of vintage amps to find the perfect setup that lets your guitar speak to you, let alone the surplus time it would take to do properly? I sure as hell don't, although I wouldn't complain if I did.

On the other hand, it is nice to see that Jol is going to have a column in Premier Gutiar, as referenced at the beginning of the article.

It's from the E.M. Studio developement. (got scale length at 25 1/2 in "current " article ???? ) Good insight into getting the wood to speak out as it naturally should. Results of the "pickup selection/matching" are spectacular in my em studio. Full props to his rational !

Regarding Jol & pickups, I requested Bartolini's in my custom order 12 bass.

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

Took 6 months of Greg arguing with Jol to put them in.

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

And that my friends is what is so mind boggling for former Hamer players like me. WTF???

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

And that my friends is what is so mind boggling for former Hamer players like me. WTF???

Well, just look where Jol is now. OUT at Hamer. It would be naive to think that his attitude didn't have something to do with that, especially given Hamer's current status as a custom order shop only.

I will say that he nailed the pickup choice in the Monaco SuperPro though. Definitely not conventional thinking to put a Duncan Custom in the neck position, but damn does it sound heavenly.

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

It really boggles my mind that he would say no to this request. Why, what's the big deal? In the end, it's the customer's guitar, not his. :lol:

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

Well, just look where Jol is now. OUT at Hamer. It would be naive to think that his attitude didn't have something to do with that, especially given Hamer's current status as a custom order shop only.

It really boggles my mind that he would say no to this request. Why, what's the big deal? In the end, it's the customer's guitar, not his. :lol:

+1. For years, I thought that the JB in the bridge, in my Hamers, was a little too trebly and shrill for my taste, and it was just me that thought this, and I was doing something wrong or wasn't using the right amp or right setting or something. Recent discussions here on the Forum seem to reinforce this, I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Time to get out the soldering iron...

Now, if Hamer will just start doing Boomers upon request... :P

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

Exactly. And he's no longer with the company he started and from what it looks like, Hamer as a company is almost non existent. Kinda makes you go, hmmmmm...

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

+1

Archived