Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jol re-surfaces, in Premier Guitar

G Man

+1. For years, I thought that the JB in the bridge, in my Hamers, was a little too trebly and shrill for my taste, and it was just me that thought this, and I was doing something wrong or wasn't using the right amp or right setting or something. Recent discussions here on the Forum seem to reinforce this, I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

Same here. I love the 59 in the neck, really sounds good there (but not as good as a Bare Knuckle Mule in the neck), but that JB bridge just didn't yank my chain. Too bad Jol went that route so often.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's from the E.M. Studio developement. (got scale length at 25 1/2 in "current " article ???? ) Good insight into getting the wood to speak out as it naturally should. Results of the "pickup selection/matching" are spectacular in my em studio. Full props to his rational !

Jol is referencing this proto limba Talladega. :lol:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2008091...ars_Part_3.aspx

My first thought was, big fucking words for a guy who stuck Duncan '59s and JB's in almost everything for years and years. LOL....

Except for the Newport with purpose-built handwound pickups, most Hamer USA's totally outclass the pickups mounted in them. I think it figured significantly in Hamer USA's lack of recognition and market penetration. It's like putting bias-ply retreads on a Ferrari.

Amen! I'm no fan of Duncan p.u.'s. The '59 & JB combo are atrocious to my ears. I like the Seth's

in my Newport. When i purchased my Monaco Superpro,the first thing i did was swap the p.u.'s.

I will say that he nailed the pickup choice in the Monaco SuperPro though. Definitely not conventional thinking to put a Duncan Custom in the neck position, but damn does it sound heavenly.

I like the Seth's in my Newport.

My Monaco SuperPro and Newport Pro are my only two Hamers that weren't begging for a pickup change... :lol:

It just seems that Jol has concrete ideas for what his guitars should sound like. I know he seems to change his mind from time to time or whatever, but he also doesnt seem bothered about losing customers to other builders over a set of pickups.

I don't think its all hot air either. For example, I think the SD Phat Cats sound the best in the Newports. I've heard them in 335s, Epiphone Dots, my own Warmoth tele, Les Pauls, and they range from lifeless to mediocre. They fit the Newport perfectly. I would also suspect that the DDs wouldn't sound as good as they do in the Talledega, in a Les Paul.

I will also go out on a limb here and say that a $500 Gibson LP special with Lollar P90s would sound very similar to a Hamer Special with the same Lollar P90s, so why not go for something different?

Regarding Jol & pickups, I requested Bartolini's in my custom order 12 bass.

Jol said no.

Greg said yes

Took 6 months of Greg arguing with Jol to put them in.

It really boggles my mind that he would say no to this request. Why, what's the big deal? In the end, it's the customer's guitar, not his. :lol:

Greg requested the pup's for me and Jol said no after months of Greg trying to get an answer.

Greg Became a Bartolini dealer and shipped the pickups to Hamer for mounting.

Oh yeah, and he got them to Not charge me for the standard EMG's.

+1 for BCR.

Jol nailed it with the Earthen Studio. I think Hamer buys the JB/59 set for next to nothing, knowing it's good enough & most folks will change them out anyway. Most of mine are swapped out...WCR, Suhr, Harmonic designs. But I kept all ones with the factory EMGs :lol:

Jol wanted to do what Jol wanted to do. Rarely was it about what the customer wanted.

He claimed credit for things that he did not do. He made Hamer his personal "custom shop" that refused to build a lot of easily produced guitars (that customers were begging to give deposits for).

He coined the term "too obvious", the meaning of which nobody has ever figured out.

He did some great stuff when it suited him, but only when it suited him.

Jol wanted to do what Jol wanted to do. Rarely was it about what the customer wanted.

He claimed credit for things that he did not do. He made Hamer his personal "custom shop" that refused to build a lot of easily produced guitars (that customers were begging to give deposits for).

He coined the term "too obvious", the meaning of which nobody has ever figured out.

I always wondered if his stance was a 'brand' issue, as if he felt Hamer had some sort of brand association advantage that made it immuned from the whole 'succeed by fill our customers' needs' thing. The only kind of business that can have that attitude is the one that has the market cornered.

I always wondered if his stance was a 'brand' issue, as if he felt Hamer had some sort of brand association advantage that made it immuned from the whole 'succeed by fill our customers' needs' thing. The only kind of business that can have that attitude is the one that has the market cornered.

massive case of hubris IMO, cost him this customer in the long run. Ran Hamer like a 7th grade lunch table

Yep. Not that anybody asked, but I don't have 5 min for Jol or his opinions. After nearly 15 years of this board generating, what.. maybe millions of dollars of new and used Hamer sales, he to the best of my knowledge has never once posted a hello or note of thanks to HFC. In my book he sounds like a royal pain the ass, that built some sweet stuff.

Yep. Not that anybody asked, but I don't have 5 min for Jol or his opinions. After nearly 15 years of this board generating, what.. maybe millions of dollars of new and used Hamer sales, he to the best of my knowledge has never once posted a hello or note of thanks to HFC. In my book he sounds like a royal pain the ass, that built some sweet stuff.

Let's not get silly now.

That would work if "Dantzig" was on the headstock.

I would be very surprised if he ever again builds a guitar in a business that he owns or has controlling ownership. Not at his age. Maybe he outsources production. That would be it.

Let's not get silly now.

This number actually isn't out of line. I know a few people who put $100k into custom orders and new Hamer stuff since the board started. Combine that with all of the other new and custom orders since 1996 from here and THEN discuss the used stuff... I myself have put up quite a large number (many tens of thousands-probably in excess of $100k since 1996) in custom and used purchases and sales.

massive case of hubris IMO, cost him this customer in the long run. Ran Hamer like a 7th grade lunch table

+1 Well said. I had to look it up:

Hubris: "the excessive pride and ambition that usually leads to the downfall of a hero in classical tragedy"

I'm gonna stay on the bus with Jol . Yes , Hamer should have been more acommodating to special request, particularly on custom built orders. It would have helped emencely to maintain client loyalty and cash flow . But, it takes a certain mentality , ie strong , focused , and to a degree unyielding on compromise , to birth a company--evolve thru multiple layers of learning curves--- to build SUPERIOR quality instruments -- I really believe the guitars that came out of the conneticut workshop will for many years to come, represent the pinnacle of set neck quality.

I'm gonna stay on the bus with Jol . Yes , Hamer should have been more acommodating to special request, particularly on custom built orders. It would have helped emencely to maintain client loyalty and cash flow . But, it takes a certain mentality , ie strong , focused , and to a degree unyielding on compromise , to birth a company--evolve thru multiple layers of learning curves--- to build SUPERIOR quality instruments -- I really believe the guitars that came out of the conneticut workshop will for many years to come, represent the pinnacle of set neck quality.

Totally irrelevant to the issue at hand. The issue some people had with Jol was his refusal to do *very basic* mods to a guitar. Nobody here is talking about them bringing back a set-neck short scale Chap with boomers.

Nobody disputes that Hamer made spectacular guitars. But when the person who makes the decision speaks out of both sides of their mouth, and expects us not to notice, there is an issue. Case in point... I can't tell you how many times I have heard Jol say (I am paraphrasing) that the pickups he puts in are generic because he knows the owner will "put their stink on it anyway". Then he turns around and refuses to *let* the owner of the new custom order "put their stink on it". Baffling. Or the refusal to do opaque colors on custom orders only to let other people order the same exact guitar a few months later.

Sorry bro, but spectacular guitars aside, Jol cost Hamer at *least* 10K in orders from this member alone with that petty bullshit. I had money in hand wanting to order a Korina Vector in white only to be told "no". Same guitar shows up at NAMM that very year. To say I was livid would be an understatement.

--P.T.----

Totally irrelevant to the issue at hand. The issue some people had with Jol was his refusal to do *very basic* mods to a guitar. Nobody here is talking about them bringing back a set-neck short scale Chap with boomers.

Nobody disputes that Hamer made spectacular guitars. But when the person who makes the decision speaks out of both sides of their mouth, and expects us not to notice, there is an issue. Case in point... I can't tell you how many times I have heard Jol say (I am paraphrasing) that the pickups he puts in are generic because he knows the owner will "put their stink on it anyway". Then he turns around and refuses to *let* the owner of the new custom order "put their stink on it". Baffling. Or the refusal to do opaque colors on custom orders only to let other people order the same exact guitar a few months later.

Sorry bro, but spectacular guitars aside, Jol cost Hamer at *least* 10K in orders from this member alone with that petty bullshit. I had money in hand wanting to order a Korina Vector in white only to be told "no". Same guitar shows up at NAMM that very year. To say I was livid would be an understatement.

Conduct unbecoming ..... and I love it!

Let's not get silly now.

This number actually isn't out of line. I know a few people who put $100k into custom orders and new Hamer stuff since the board started. Combine that with all of the other new and custom orders since 1996 from here and THEN discuss the used stuff... I myself have put up quite a large number (many tens of thousands-probably in excess of $100k since 1996) in custom and used purchases and sales.

I would count the wonderful HFC open houses, and later the Hamer Open Houses, as a huge thank you.

Man, you carry a grudge better than my wife!

-Austin

P.S. I kid because I love :rolleyes:

I would count the wonderful HFC open houses, and later the Hamer Open Houses, as a huge thank you.

And let's count how many of those Jams that Jol came to.

Uh, zero.

Archived