Hamer Fan Club Message Center

9's Or 10s on Studio Custom?

I've been using 10s by D'Addario on my Studio Custom. I like the big full tone I get from them, but sometimes

the tension feels a bit too tight. How may here string with 9s and get the sound and response that they desire, without compromising their town significantly?

Studioplayer

I've been using 10s by D'Addario on my Studio Custom. I like the big full tone I get from them, but sometimes

the tension feels a bit too tight. How may here string with 9s and get the sound and response that they desire, without compromising their town significantly?

Studioplayer

go with 9's and a heavy bottom. 9-46 b and g strings are a bit heavier as well.

Just had to correct my spelling and not insult anyone's intelligence........

So, again......

the tension feels a bit too tight. How many here string with 9s and get the sound and response that they desire, without compromising their tone significantly?

Studioplayer

Studioplayer

Hey Studioplayer,

A few years ago I started getting some mild tendonitis on my left hand when I was using .010-.046 string sets on my guitar. I originally had the .010 string sets on my Studio & Les Paul Custom guitars, but found that it felt heavy and slowed me down since I was used to playing super Strat type guitars. I switched over to .009-.046 on my '95 Studio & my '96 Gibson Les Paul Custom. The heavier bottom strings sounds awesome with overdrive or clean chords and the lighter guage treble strings are easy to bend & feel much easier to fret when playing fast. I found the .009-.046 string set to be great for my left hand and for comfortable playability on my guitars. Try a set of .009-.046 for awhile and see if it works for you. You might like the feel & playability like I did.

Guitar George

Guest JackButler

These days you can also find sets of 9.5s (9 1/2s).. also a slight adjustment in the stop bar behind the bridge can lessen the tension on the strings.. doesn't have to be drastic.. the slightest change in the severity of the angle as the strings break over the saddles and effect tension.

• 2 weeks later...

Use whatever is comfortable for you. If you like the .009s, maybe raise the pickup a bit to make the magnetic field near the string stronger.

I use .011s on all the guitars except the slide guitar . . . can't remember what the gauge is but they are so big it's impossible to bend 'em, and they are tuned up to open E! I get a nice fat tone on either instrument.

I have friends who use much lighter strings and get a full tone, too.

Big strings do not automatically mean fat tone. Use what feels good!

For those players that use the Ernie Ball Hybrid or similar strings, how would you think they must perform

when playing Jazz? I tend to switch styles using just one guitar. I try and get a balanced sound and a full sound from my Studio Custom. It has the '59 Duncan set on it, so I'm calling it a versatile guitar for my needs.

Studioplayer

i guess your prob is to play all that with one guitar.

it won't work on high niveau.

sure s.o. says he plays jazz with 09, but usual is >012.

(and it still sound shitty to my ears - sorry, not my music)

man there are so many nice guitars to buy, why only to have one? :D

Archived