Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Closed F-hole Newport??

JJ Paul

Someone on TGP got this thread sarted about the Stevens guitars... I had a look at the Classic model and then at the jaw-dropping price (Huber guitars pale in comparison).

Then I told myself... What if Hamer would build me a closed F-hole Newport?

What would the drawbacks be in your opinion?

I'd be looking for example for one as pictured on the

Hamer Gallery...

and it would get either a set of Unbuckers or Häussels...

'Later!

JJ Paul

Well... I suppose that for a fee they would ;) Don't they alwys (or almost always)??

But would it work out TONEWISE?

I would be looking to have the airiness and harmonic complexity without the issues of feedback, etc.

And of course...the right amount of "discrete bling" ;)

JJ Paul

Yup the SP is quite hollow indeed, but as you quite correctly point out it also has a longer scale.

A closed Newport would have a different resonatin volume on the bass side of the body as there would be less mass on the top bout where the body meets the neck.

Since I never tried a Newport out I just can't imagine what it could sound like....

JJ

Someone else that has played a maple topped newport will have to chime in. I have a regular spruce and phat cat Newport so I can't help much. My guess it would sound a lot like the chambered studio customs meets a monaco superpro and that sounds like a winning combination to me. Having played both guitars. I think it is a good idea. It would be interesting to hear from a maple topped newport owner though. Anyone else want to chime in?

Guest teefus2

But would it work out TONEWISE?

I would be looking to have the airiness and harmonic complexity without the issues of feedback, etc.

And of course...the right amount of "discrete bling" ;)

any issues either of my newport pros regarding feedback was more related to the unpotted seth lover duncans than the hollow body style, imho. i have fralin unbucker sin now and play at pretty loud stage volumes with moderate gain amps (rivera bm60 combo and valvetech hayseed custom). no problems with howling now.

Guest galejt

Speaking of Newports. Where's the KeyOfZsters?

1. BACK STRAIGHT, KNEES BENT, FEET SHOULDER WIDTH APART.

2. FORM A LOOSE GRIP.

3. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

4. AVOID A QUICK BACK SWING.

5. STAY OUT OF THE WATER.

6. TRY NOT TO HIT ANYONE.

7. IF YOU ARE TAKING TOO LONG, PLEASE LET OTHERS GO AHEAD OF YOU.

8. DON'T STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF OTHERS.

9. QUIET PLEASE...WHILE OTHERS ARE PREPARING TO GO.

10. DON'T TAKE EXTRA STROKES.

WELL DONE - NOW FLUSH THE URINAL, GO OUTSIDE, AND TEE OFF

Archived