Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's the best bang for the $ with acoustic guitar's

So what's the best playing/sounding acoustic guitar

that has onboard electro's under a grand?

I'm looking for a great sounding guitar

for giging with..... New or used

Biger neck is a plus.......

So what's yall's thoughts?

I practically stole a nearly mint Ovation USA 1778T Elite w/OHSC for right at $300 used a coupla weeks ago at the local GC and just love the thing. Best sounding Ovation I've ever heard and action is like an electric. Love the ebony fingerboard. The textured flat black is kinda goth looking but I can live with it for the way the guitar sounds and plays.

full_shot13.jpg

I just found two in GC's used gear database for under $500. If you inquire, check and make sure they are USA models - two cosmetically similar ones at the local store were rosewood fingerboard imports, like the one above.

I practically stole a nearly mint Ovation USA 1778T Elite w/OHSC for right at $300 used a coupla weeks ago at the local GC and just love the thing. Best sounding Ovation I've ever heard and action is like an electric. Love the ebony fingerboard. The textured flat black is kinda goth looking but I can live with it for the way the guitar sounds and plays.

full_shot13.jpg

I just found two in GC's used gear database for under $500. If you inquire, check and make sure they are USA models - two cosmetically similar ones at the local store were rosewood fingerboard imports, like the one above.

Yep, forget $1000, used USA Ovations are the best deal around for under $500. I bought two Standard Elite LX models this year. I got both for a bit over $700. Of course, I got them on eBay using the "Best Offer" feature. Two of the best deals I've ever had.

Some of those old cream, orange and red label Yamahas have a great vintagey acoustic tone and project exceptionally well - loud with lots of full, woody bottom end. They don't play as nice as an Ovation and have no onboard electronics, but many can be had for a steal.

Thanks for the input so far guys!!!!

I have a awesome sounding and beautiful looking '94 Taylor 612C that I got from RoyB a while back that I just love!

I just dont like to bring it out to the places we play(if you know what I mean)

It has a under the saddle pick that sounds OK and the neck is just a tad to small for playing a long set for me.

I guess I just want something more versatile with on board electros that I dont have to worry about it getting a little beat up!!

a few pics of the Taylor just for the heck of it.......

Untitled4-4.jpg

Untitled5-3.jpg

Takamines always sound good to me, even the newer upper end Korean models. I do sound for various randon little bands, it seems that the Takamines are generally super easy to get a good sound out of the PA with.

I just got a lower end Larivee D, I was going to flip it, but it got a huge low-end punch, and it just sounds fantastic all around. My tech had to do a lot of work to it, it had been badly abused, - it really stood out to him as a great guitar too. He tells me Larivee's are built in the Martin tradition, with exceptional wood choices. I'll add an LR Baggs I-beam to it one of these days. I sold my other 'keeper' and kept the Larivee.

ive never been a big fan of the ovation tone.....spend a couple years in hawaii and youll get so sick of hearin it youll want to vomit just thinkin about it.

Used taylor. ive noticed that they dont seem to be holding value lately. I dont know about under a thousand, but you can get them in good shape, cause we all baby what weve spent 3k on.

Not usa but the artwood series Ibanez sound beautiful for the money, and you can get some gorgeous exotics. check ebay there too. a lot of dealers blowing those out.

I have an artwood 7-string ibanez and it has a beautful beatuful tone.......jumbo, so that has a lot to do with it, plus real big neck being that its a 7

Obviously the answer partly depends on the sound you're looking for. When I was looking a couple of years ago I was specifically looking for a rosewood dreadnaught. With that in mind, I was impressed with the Takamine TAN16C (might be able to find a used one under $1K), as well as the Breedlove Atlas series (even the mahogany ones sounded good). For some reason I just didn't care for the Taylors I played. I ended up with a MINT 3 year old Martin DC-16RGTE for a steal at $900.

There are some Martins out there at great prices.

I had an import Breedlove, the Black Atlas, and it sounded ok. Pretty good, but not great. Plugged in it was just ok too. I preferred my Ovations acoustically and electrically. My USA Breedlove that I got beat up and cheap blew it away of course.

Ovation necks seem to vary, but I haven't played one with a really big neck.

Larrivee makes some very nice guitars.

Used Ovation for under $500. At around $1k you're looking at a used Adamas, the carbon fiber topped Ovation. No Better Sounding Guitar, Period. Alpep at lostartvintage has quite a few very interesting Adamas in that price range. The carbon fiber top is quite strong yet it has an amazing touch-sensitive playability. The acoustic tone is pure heaven, though each model has it's own flavor for sure.

In the wood topped Ovation line, there are a number of great guitars available used or new. Though I love to support the workers at the factory, new USA made O's are out of your price range new. Used offerings would range from 35 year old round-hole with simple electronics all the way up to mint modern designs and various preamp modules. For strictly plugged in use, a shallow bowl will be great and will feel much like an electric. For acoustic non-plugged-in use, look for a mid bowl, deep bowl, or deep contour bowl.

They do offer some wider nut width models as well as their standard width.

full_shot13.jpg

Yep, forget $1000, used USA Ovations are the best deal around for under $500. I bought two Standard Elite LX models this year. I got both for a bit over $700. Of course, I got them on eBay using the "Best Offer" feature. Two of the best deals I've ever had.

This.

Exhibit A: Pesocaster was in the market for a gigging acoustic a few years ago. He was categorically opposed to all things Ovation. I persistently suggested the USA 1778 Elite T which you could buy new for around $750. He shopped everywhere in a 60-mile long corridor of music stores. Did not want to like the guitar. Discovered that anything noticeably better was $2500 and up. He bought. A year later he got the matching 12-string.

ive never been a big fan of the ovation tone.....spend a couple years in hawaii and youll get so sick of hearin it youll want to vomit just thinkin about it.

The USA-made Ovation 1778 Elite T does not sound like an Ovation. It sounds like a nicely made all wood guitar. It does not have that "spruce top vibrating on a sterile plastic body" sound. You'd never know it had any plastic in it except ... it's an Ovation.

ive never been a big fan of the ovation tone.....

Agreed. My mother loves 'em, but I can't get by the thin tone (and yes, I've tried the 1778T).

If you can find one, the Takamine Solid Series (F370SS and F470SS) were all solid wood guitars that sound great. The 370 series is a dread, the 470 series is mini jumbo. I had a F470SS-CD (CD means cedar top) and it sounded better than anything else I'd ever found for under $1500 (I got mine for around $500). The solid koa back and sides looked great too!

-Jonathan

The La-Si-Do company (Seagull) also has a brand called Simon and Patrick. A friend's cedar-topped 12 is the easiest playing and second-best sounding 12 I've ever had my mitts on.

I like my Ovation 1778 Elite T. It goes to every gig with me and holds alternate tunings very well. I didn't much like Ovations either until I came across this one. I get a lot of positive comments on the looks, too.

The La-Si-Do company (Seagull) also has a brand called Simon and Patrick. A friend's cedar-topped 12 is the easiest playing and second-best sounding 12 I've ever had my mitts on.

I used to have one of those. I loved it and played the hell out of it but had to trade it in on recording equipment to finish a project. I miss it but will probably replace it with an Ovation since I can usually score a USA made Legend for around $500 on eBay.

My friend has a '76 Takamine (F340S?) I think he's going to put up for sale sometime soon, I think he would probably ship it. I believe it's a 'regular' dreadnought. It has a solid top, but no electronics, LR Baggs systems can be purchased and installed for under $200. I can ask him for you if it sounds interesting, I'm guessing $400-ish, but I'd have to ask.

Lots of choices, but I'll suggest also looking for a used Takamine Nashville series. All solid woods, good electronics, and STOUT necks. The 340 series was a dread w/ mahogany back/sides, 360 was same except it had rosewood back/sides, and the 460 was the Tak NEX body style (kind of a cross between a jumbo and a OM if that makes any sense) w/ rosewood back/sides. They all usually seem to sell in that $1K +/- range used.

1778T owner here also! I got one of the last new, USA ones for $490 from Dave's in La Crosse back in August 2008. For guitars with electronics, you can't beat 'em IMO. YMMV.

As for guitars you can actually buy now? First, check for used guitars. I got a very nice, like new, Larrivee Parlor 09 for $895. The 03 series is nice also. Taylor D and GS series are nice and I'm sure you can get those used.

So, I can't really tell you WHAT to buy, but I can say to look for used deals.

Archived