Hamer Fan Club Message Center

3 virts on ebay - go get 'em

Citrus

:)

UGH not these yet again... hes been tryin to sell those since before i left Germany..... those prices are downright outrageous... and since the finishes arent from the factory and look horrible they wont sell yet again... the virts might be hard to come by but come on.... must not want to sell them to bad at those prices.... good luck to em... hope they sell em...

Sir Douglas :D

Randy :P

:)

UGH not these yet again... hes been tryin to sell those since before i left Germany..... those prices are downright outrageous... and since the finishes arent from the factory and look horrible they wont sell yet again... the virts might be hard to come by but come on.... must not want to sell them to bad at those prices.... good luck to em... hope they sell em...

Sir Douglas :D

Randy :P

Finishes aren't from the factory? Where did you get that from. Didn't Hamer offer wild finishes back then? As far as the pricing goes, when was the last time a Virtuoso sold for a comparison?

I can't help but thinking of two things when seeing a Virtouso.

1) My god, that is an ugly mofo.

2) Uli Roth would be the only guy who could possibly want one of those,

(and I don't mean it in a positive way :) )

But then hey we all got different tastes, so I don't mean to

offend the Virtouso lovers on the board.

disturber

I would love to have one! It would be fun once in a while....not worth those prices for once in a while though.

I would rather get a Californian Elite. :)

I do not see $3000 being a bad price given how rare these are. People are more than willing to pay $3000 for a new, dime a dozen, Gibson. You know Hamer will not make these again. What did these cost new in 2005 dollars? Probably more than the $3000 opening bids. I don't understand why people feel the need to attack other people's ebay ads, if the price is not right it will end with no bids. Would you like somone to insult your choice of wife, house or clothing? Grow up.

In the end, the only way compare prices is to have two identical items for sale, in the same condition, with different price points. If what he says is true and there are only one of each of these in those paint jobs, you can not compare it to anything IMO. And if the guy bought it cheaper and sells it higher, well that's good business. How long would your employer stay in business if he bought high and sold low? I tried to buy that Celestial, after all the shipping and such it would have been $2800, so the guy is looking to make $200, a whooping 7% return, but he is throwing in an extra pickup, so he's probably taking a loss. Name an industry that operates on less than 15% ROI.

I don't understand why people feel the need to attack other people's ebay ads, if the price is not right it will end with no bids. Would you like somone to insult your choice of wife, house or clothing? Grow up.

+1 on your post. Very well said.

Those are incredibly rare, tough to pry from an owner's hands and with one (minor?) exception, are factory original. Joe has taken care of his stuff too, so that won't be a problem.

Many of us here (and others elsewhere) would shell out far more than that for a custom order, PRS or Gibson Historic. I don't find the prices to be out of line for what they are, and in all honesty, you'll be waiting a long time for the next $800 Virt to show up at a pawnshop or GC.

I can't help but thinking of two things when seeing a Virtouso.

1) My god, that is an ugly mofo.

2) Uli Roth would be the only guy who could possibly want one of those,

(and I don't mean it in a positive way :) )

disturber

that's what I thought too about Virts, until I owned one for awhile. Truth be told, I bought mine because, well, how often do you see one hanging in a shop? After a month or so though, I realized why it's so awesome. It's not the 36 frets. It isn't really the scalloping either. It just has that Hamer magic, and it's really a perfectly made guitar.

FWIW, I paid $2400 for mine, after wearing the shop down from $3000 over about two weeks of daily badgering. I think this is on the higher end of what people have paid for Virts in recent years, but really, the market for Virts is far too small to define a "fair market value", which can be done with vintage Gibsons and Fenders because, even in their "rarity", there are zillions of them compared to Virts. If it's worth it to you as an instrument, then it's worth it. I can definitely say that the Virt is plenty guitar at $4k or $5k, but looking at Virt deals recently, I think Joe's trying to set the market price at about $4800. If one sells, that market value will be validated. If not, then....?

Name an industry that operates on less than 15% ROI.

IIRC the auto industry and supermarkets survive on profit margins that are around 2%. Volume suddenly becomes very important :)

$3k ain't so bad for that Celestial Virt, but the $1k to bring it back to asia...? my wife'd kill me...

"1) My god, that is an ugly mofo."

So how do you feel about Cali's? In the right finish, it's basically a Cali, just more petite and w/ longer legs. Or, to simplify the analogy: dead sexy. IMO etc.

"2) Uli Roth would be the only guy who could possibly want one of those, (and I don't mean it in a positive way)"

Good enough for Uli, good enough for me. :) Granted, it's not an entirely practical instrument (for all applications) and the price is difficult. Tob's right though, when a piece is this uncommon, the price can only be determined by one thing: what it takes to make the owner part with it. Joe's BIN's pale in comparison to what it would take to get mine.

The korina one really has grown on me, but I don't think the BIN is justifiable given the mods. I'd consider the opening bid if I were still collecting, but thank God I'm over that (for the time being.)

The Korina one is also one of the first ones. I've got a nice pic of that one in the case next to a Ferrari Red one.

Damn shame about that mod.

Joe's BIN's pale in comparison to what it would take to get mine.

So Darc: does this mean if I offer you $350 and new Hinge for your POD you might consider selling that quilty petite "squished" californian of yours.....LOL Just kidding.

Peter.

I'm not sure about warped, but I have heard the word "unplayable" in reference to that particular neck before.

Not sure if any work has been done since then. Worth asking via email though (unless you don't like to live dangerously!)

It's not warped, it's just trying to get the hell away from that rose.

Peter, a sufficiently large hinge forged in platinum, and you might have a deal. :)

Aha!

In case anyone was wondering ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiquip-2-submersibl...1QQcmdZViewItem

But wait, here's a different story for HFC members who aren't cruising for sump pumps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamer-Californian-Doub...1QQcmdZViewItem

It would appear the seller lurks here and has refuted this this warp claim:

"SOME SCUMBAGS at the HFC are telling people the 12 string neck has a warp, that is FALSE, it plays just fine I have no idea who or why this BS story originated but it is UNTRUE."

Aha!

In case anyone was wondering ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiquip-2-submersibl...1QQcmdZViewItem

But wait, here's a different story for HFC members who aren't cruising for sump pumps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamer-Californian-Doub...1QQcmdZViewItem

So maybe he is getting a divorce and he bought himself a Ferrari, are those mutually exclusive? If you sell your house and move into a condo you should walk away with a large chunk of cash, perhaps enough or more to buy a Ferrari with so you can upgrade to younger more prime women. If the guy owned the home prior to marriage or had a pre-nup he may not have to share any of the current market rise in home prices with the wife, the truth is who cares? Why are you guys concerned? If you like a person's merchandise for sale for a given price, bid, or don't. If I had the cash still available I'd be all over that Celestial Virtuoso but I spent the money on another guitar after I failed to get that one, if the ad said he was using the money for hookers or cocaine I would not care in the slightest, once it is his money it is his to do as he pleases.

He responded to an e-mail I sent him with a link to this thread. He responded he does not care what the people at the HFC think but he did give me this link

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72137

Which seems to confirm his Ferrari story unless he is just spending his entire life running around lying on the internet to amuse himself. He seems to be an active member at that Ferrari site as he has a lot of posts there. I still say it is none of your business, but if you are going to accuse someone of lying have some proof not just speculation to base it on. His response to me was very similar to what I thought, less expensive house, less space for toys but a second garage sitting empty and lonely. He said he paid her off to go away but that he does not want 4200 sq feet to maintain, heat or pay taxes on and that the house is available for $725,000 if you are interested.

... Why are you guys concerned?  If you like a person's merchandise for sale for a given price, bid, or don't.  ....

"Luke":

Either you own a tool rental business in Rockaway, NJ and are playing dumb, or you have no idea why we care.

... Why are you guys concerned?  If you like a person's merchandise for sale for a given price, bid, or don't.  ....

"Luke":

Either you own a tool rental business in Rockaway, NJ and are playing dumb, or you have no idea why we care.

I have no idea why you care but I think that it is childish and I think its best I just stop coming by here as you are not the type of people I wish to spend time with if all you do all day is put people down and make wild speculations about them. See ya.

I have no idea why you care but I think that it is childish and I think its best I just stop coming by here as you are not the type of people I wish to spend time with if all you do all day is put people down and make wild speculations about them.  See ya.

Easy to take the high road if you're not part of the history. Let us just say that the reactions and inquiries are based more on experience and observation than wild speculation.

Putting people down? You have no idea.

Archived