Hamer Fan Club Message Center

what will the longterm impact of Dantzig's departure from Hamer be

larry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on this.

Whatever they are, they'll be exactly that - opinions.

I'm a little new to HAMER and the history....but did he leave because of the Fender intrusion?

Yes, but it is unclear if it was voluntary or he was asked to leave. Obviously everyone will have an opinion on this (lord knows I have mine) but the fact is that nobody knows for sure other than Jol and Fender.

One thing is clear...

It is looking like Hamer is much more open to ideas from its customers. Just take a look at some of the insane guitars that are being built.

I'm a little new to HAMER and the history....but did he leave because of the Fender intrusion?

Yes, but it is unclear if it was voluntary or he was asked to leave. Obviously everyone will have an opinion on this (lord knows I have mine) but the fact is that nobody knows for sure other than Jol and Fender.

One thing is clear...

It is looking like Hamer is much more open to ideas from its customers. Just take a look at some of the insane guitars that are being built.

i think that is a good idea to build a lot of "CUSTOM" stuff....make people talk, word of mouth is the best form of advertising!!!

Going on what I see coming out of that shop I'm convinced it will do what a business does, profit or fail. Looks like it is stable to me. Jol was one cog, albeit a big one, but just as we are cogs at our jobs too. YOMV.

His departure is probably as relevant as it was the first time he left. Does anybody remember what years those were? I can't tell from the quality of guitars that Hamer made during his absence--they were just as good quality-wise as what came before and after his return.

As far as I can tell right now, his departure is a non-issue. Regards word-of-mouth advertising, that seems to me to have been the Hamer/Fender (possibly even before Fender got involved) game plan for the past few years, but that is yet another can of worms. If anything deep-sixes Hamer, it'll be due to the bean counters and upper management.

No idea, but I'm kind of more interested in what Dantzig might be doing guitar-industry wise than Hamer.

-Austin

That makes one of you!

:lol: What I mean is, since I'm not going to be custom ordering any new Hamers and it's doesn't look like they're going to be doing any stock models anytime soon, I don't really see any surprises coming out of Hamer; just the same great guitars they've been doing all along to a smaller audience (not that it was big to begin with :lol:). I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford whatever Jol might do either, but it might be more interesting from an "oh look, another guitar I can afford" sort of way.

-Austin

:lol: What I mean is, since I'm not going to be custom ordering any new Hamers and it's doesn't look like they're going to be doing any stock models anytime soon, I don't really see any surprises coming out of Hamer; just the same great guitars they've been doing all along to a smaller audience (not that it was big to begin with :lol:). I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford whatever Jol might do either, but it might be more interesting from an "oh look, another guitar I can afford" sort of way.

-Austin

Umm, so FB's and reverse hockey sticks aren't interesting? Not that I'm into a guitar configured as such, but I would love to have a Studio with a hockey stick (Standard) headstock. Jol flat refused this request more times than anyone will ever know....since he has left Hamer, this can actually turn into a reality. In my opinion that is what a custom shop is supposed to be, and I predict there will be many interesting surprises coming out of their shop. With Jol at the helm they were not a true custom shop, only custom according to Jol....they were really just an 'Options' shop, and they only did it their way. I say good riddance in that respect. I do have other concerns about his leaving, however.

One of the things I'm waiting for is to see how Gibson reacts to some of this. Evidently, Hamer has had some sort of agreement with Gibson in regards to the DC body and Explorer/Standard headstocks. Anyone else would have been hit with a lawsuit, I'm sure. Is this going to change now that their main competitor and rival is the new owner of Hamer, Jol is gone, and they doing some ballsy builds?

In regards to the current custom shop, I can only see a better future.

With Jol gone in the custom shop they will now build any old Hamer model within reason...including a Virt and Cali elite WITH BOOMERS.

Before, if Jol didn't like it, he wouldn't build it regardless of the cash layed down.

With Jol gone in the custom shop they will now build any old Hamer model within reason...including a Virt and Cali elite WITH BOOMERS.

Before, if Jol didn't like it, he wouldn't build it regardless of the cash layed down.

will they build a t-51 or daytona????????????

that would interest me.............. :lol::lol::o

Bolt-ons, probably not. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm sure if you have the dough they are down for most ideas.

Why would you want a new Daytona when they sell weekly for well under $1k?

You'd pay 3-4 times that for one at best if they'd even build one, and I really don't think they'll be going back to bolt-ons any time soon, if ever.

They're probably also not going to look into cutting into Fender Custom Shop territory any time soon either.

Archived