Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Special/Eclipse/Gretsch project

Bloozguy

I recently bought a "beater" '92 Special from Hamerweizen (thanks Eric!) that's about to embark on a customizing journey. Someone routed the bridge pickup cavity pretty badly, smashed the tone pot hard enough to break through the mahogany, and stripped all the finish off the back of the neck. A perfect candidate for the project!

It's getting:

1. Forearm bevel and tummy cut like an Eclipse

2. Pickup cavities filled and re-routed for TV Jones TV Classic (neck) and TV Classic Plus (bridge)

3. A trip to Stikeland for some bling

Here's a couple "before" pics:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

And after stripping the hardware:

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I was originally planning to have Stike shoot silver flake with cherry transparent over it, but my girlfriend (who puts up with living in a used guitar and amp warehouse :ph34r: and has even bought me a couple Hamers :lol: ) one day said "you don't have any white guitars...why don't you get one." I decided then that this one would be pure white :lol: .

She also likes gold hardware on white guitars. I'm not a big gold hardware fan, but I'm tempted to go that way on this one. Any opinions?

Bearing in mind that internet-nobody-opinions are worth exactly jack squat compared to live-in-girlfriend-opinions, I will share mine anyway.

I approve of white guitars. Almost all models look good in white to me (Strat, Tele, LP, Gretsch, Cali.....on and on - white guitars are excellent).

I disapprove of gold hardware. Almost all guitars look bad with gold hardware to me (same list - all encompassing).

In summary -> white - good; gold - bad.

My $0.00.

Fill the neck pickup route, maybe veneer the top, and make it a single 'Tron in the bridge. Maybe even fill the TP studs and slap a Bigsby on 'er!

Of course, 3 'Trons also work really well...

Make it all White Falcon-y!!

I disapprove of gold hardware.

I'm not a fan either, but Sue sure likes it.

Maybe even fill the TP studs and slap a Bigsby on 'er!

I was thinking about a Bigsby, but then I'll have to fill the switch hole. When I get the contours done I'm going to set one on there just to see how it would look.

Fill the neck pickup route, maybe veneer the top, and make it a single 'Tron in the bridge. Maybe even fill the TP studs and slap a Bigsby on 'er!

Of course, 3 'Trons also work really well...

I once played around with the idea of putting a lefty Bigsby B-5 (the short, screws down on the top one) on a righty Eclipse--so I wouldn't have to worry too much about having the pickup switch or knobs in the way of the trem handle, or vice versa. Just a thought.

I hate white guitars but I'm not the one that does naughty things to you so.....................

Maybe painting a gold sparkle faux binding on the body to mimic the White Falcon vibe could be cool?

I've wondered whether the faux "case hardened" look could be applied to guitar hardware. It would be a great look on a white guitar. I'm kinda with stike about white, though. If you're springing for a custom refin, why go vanilla? Had anyone ever done a Tron+single ala phantom? I think that would be interesting.

• 1 year later...

Yikes! I didn't realize this thing had been sitting in the shop for a year already :lol: That's what happens when you tell your luthier that you're in no hurry and interrupt the process with other guitars to work on :P

But now we've got a forearm bevel:

P1000946.jpg

P1000947.jpg

And the much-needed belly cut ;) :

P1000948.jpg

P1000949.jpg

He's got one of my Eclipses in there to match the contours and it's pretty darn accurate.

In the meantime I scored a NOS sustain block so the bridge and tailpiece holes got plugged along with the pickup cavities (with mahogany in the proper grain direction). Next up will be the TV Jones Filtertrons and then off to Stike :lol:

And the girlfriend agreed to chrome hardware :lol:

Well, since you had the pickup holes filled and all...

Single TV Jones in the bridge. Total rock machine.

As Damone said in "Fast Times", "You won't regret it!"

Archived