Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hope The Cajuns will be OK

I don't post here much any more but with the storm headed towards New Orleans and two of my favorite people, JeffR and Cajunboy, in harms way I just wanted let them know they are in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope this things fizzles or loses steam before it hits.

Best wishes boys!!!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks brew, don't worry, we'll be okay down here. CB had to bail, he's closer to the coast, but we're riding it out up here where I'm at (45 mins north of Casa de Cajun Boy)...

I've stocked up on the necessities today (two cases!), all the big ass wind-vulnerable trees are distant from the shack, and the next door neighbor has a generator and a blender.

And the Micro Cube runs on batteries. We're good to go.

My Mother-in-law is down in Nawlins with my wife's brother who is starting as a freshman at Tulane. They dumped the stuff in his room then tried to get out of Dodge and head to Mississippi. We talked to them earlier tonight and they said that they couldn't get out so are riding it out in the hotel. Her other brother was supposed to fly down on Monday to start his second year, but the school let him know that they are closed through Thursday, so we're watching him up here for a few days.

Good luck to all of ya, and BE SAFE!

We talked to them earlier tonight and they said that they couldn't get out so are riding it out in the hotel.

If they're at Tulane, I'd assume their hotel is either in the Quarter, the CBD or Uptown. All WILL FLOOD SEVERELY if the hurricane hits New Orleans directly (the city is below sea level and walled in from the surrounding swamps, and the pumping system that drains the city likely can't keep up with a hurricane's rains).

Getting away from the city will be impossible at this point (1.3 million evacuees in Greater New Orleans alone, not including the rest of south Louisiana that's fleeing too).

Tell them if things shape into a direct hit to make sure they are at least on the third floor of the hotel, or in some building with three or more floors. Tell them to have adequate drinking water and food just in case - if they can't find bottled water, clean and fill the bathtub.

To give you an idea, a smack ass direct hit can put 10-16 feet of standing water on Bourbon Street. No kidding.

Guest galejt

That PDF takes a long time to load, but it is worth it. Nasty stuff. Remember, winds very rarely kill people, water does it all the time.

thanks all for your thoughts and prayers.. this is a big ass storm. New Orleans has just declared a mandatory evacuation. it's gonna be one heluva spell over today and tomorrow.

I'm just a tad away in Baton Rouge. CB and family came over last night. Unless the path swings drastically west, we'll be riding the storm here.

lot's of toys to play with here, and we're already thinking of what we will be chef'ing up foodwise. :)

:D

low water tables make for no basements :P .... be safe guys... i was born in La. and love it to death.. let hope it looses alot of power eonce it makes landfall..

Sir Douglas :P

Randy :)

Guest galejt
Damn Kiz! That's a scary sight. Did you take that just before I spit in the pot?

If that's allimigator I hear you have to spit in the pot for it to come out right. :)

Edited to add: Is that a godamned temperature gauge? You some serious chefs boyz!

Guest galejt

HURRICANE KATRINA DISCUSSION NUMBER 23

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

11 AM EDT SUN AUG 28 2005

THE AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTERS JUST MEASURED A 166 KT FLIGHT LEVEL WIND IN THE NORTHEAST EYEWALL...WHICH REQUIRES AN ADDITIONAL UPWARD ADJUSTMENT OF THE CURRENT INTENSITY TO 150 KT. A DROP IN THE EYE GAVE A CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 907 MB. KATRINA IS COMPARABLE IN INTENSITY TO HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969...ONLY LARGER. GPS DROPSONDE DATA FROM THE NOAA G-IV MISSION EARLIER TODAY SHOWED KATRINA'S INTENSE CYCLONIC CIRCULATION EXTENDING THROUGH THE 200 MB LEVEL...WITH THE FLOW SPIRALING ANTICYLONICALLY OUTWARD IN A WELL-DEVELOPED UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW PATTERN BEYOND A COUPLE HUNDRED N MI FROM THE CENTER. FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH...DUE TO INTERNAL STRUCTURAL CHANGES...ARE LIKELY PRIOR TO LANDFALL. HURRICANES RARELY SUSTAIN SUCH EXTREME WINDS FOR MUCH TIME. HOWEVER WE SEE NO OBVIOUS LARGE-SCALE EFFECTS TO CAUSE A SUBSTANTIAL WEAKENING THE SYSTEM...AND IT IS EXPECTED THAT THE HURRICANE WILL BE OF CATEGORY 4 OR 5 INTENSITY WHEN IT REACHES THE COAST.

Geezus, this looks like it might one they've been warning about for the last decade or so. Take care everyone. Listen to Cajun about filling tubs with water etc. Anyone left in the city may well be on their own for a few days to a week.

If it turns out to be the pink route, the eye's gonna pass over Cajun Boy's house AND my house!

My concern right now at Maison de Reeshard is flying debris. The greater Baton Rouge area (I'm 25 minutes east) is definitely going to see at least tropical storm, more like Cat 1 force winds (around 70 mph sustained) if the current predictions hold true, and that is enough to create projectiles that will take out windows. I didn't board up, but I have some plywood handy just in case.

I will very likely get islanded in to my neighborhood for a day or so due to high water. It happened with Allison a few years ago, and she was just a T.S.

Meanwhile, I gots out my cinder blocks. I only weigh 'bout a buck o' five and the wife ties 'em to my feet so I won't blow 'way when I goes outside to smoke.

Archived