Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New member and NGD (Sunburst Slammer series)

Diocletian

Welcome Steven, my Mothers maiden name is Bruce, our family immigrated to the USA from Scotland in 1901. One day I'll get over there.

I'm also into metal, hardcore, grindcore, thrash, crossover etc. Check out my bands myspace link below. Feature members from Dead Horse, D.R.I. and Verbal Abuse.

Great thread so far. And a warm welcome to our new member. The old Slammer series are supposed to be excellent, especially for the money. It might make sense to replace parts of the electronics to more quality. It looks like you've turned to this path already.

Thanks Gorch! Yeah I'm thinking I might replace the pots - I'm waiting till my next band rehearsal to see how it works with the stock electronics in it just now. I might find it sounds great as is.

Scott, I'll have a look at your link, I used to own a DRI album ("Crossover" IIRC)!

Hey Steven,

Dave here again.....I've got pots from my USA Sunburst if you want them....I put 'push-push' pots in the blond one to get coil taps etc- don't think I'll ever sell that one so I'll never put it back to 'stock' either- yours if you need them........

Let me know

Cheers, Dave :angry:

Hey Steven,

Dave here again.....I've got pots from my USA Sunburst if you want them....I put 'push-push' pots in the blond one to get coil taps etc- don't think I'll ever sell that one so I'll never put it back to 'stock' either- yours if you need them........

Let me know

Cheers, Dave :angry:

Very, very kind of you Dave - PMd. :)

I'm thinking of taking the Grover tuners off my Epiphone Les Paul Standard - does anyone know if they will fit onto this Hamer without too much work? Would I need bushes or anything?

I know this is a pretty obscure question, but thought I'd check. :angry:

And here's another pic of it (with black speed knobs on it now, off my Gibson LP). My 3 year old daughter Freya started strumming it and singing some song about castles and stuff. :)

5238802971_80a37fbbf2_z.jpg

Picture 044 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add this bit of info, since I'd asked about it. I now have the answer so maybe this will come in handy for someone in the future:

The Grover tuners from modern Epiphones fit straight onto Hamers like mine. All I had to do was drill one small hole for the screw that holds each tuner to the headstock, the actual shaft size was a perfect fit.

I'll get a pic later if I get a chance.

• 1 year later...

Hi Steven

I little story about the guitar. About 15 years ago my mum bought me a hamer slammer series usa, with lovely arch top , great sound, brilliant to play. i was in a band , playing mainly doors songs , we were pretty good but sadly the partying outweighed the playing. I sold my hamer slammer series USA to McCormacks in glasgow to fund a set of turntables around 13-14 years ago. Some thing i regret to this day , although i still dj. Recently i took a notion to try find a hamer slammer series similar to the one my mum bought me all those years ago , as my wee mum sadly passed away and i can remember her still shouting at me for selling the guitar.. I started to google, ebay and look for some hamers, found a couple of similar ones, was even considering buying a 1982 original model as it was the same colors as my old one, (where the white had turned to an almost nicotine cream) when i clicked on google images the guitar you bought showed up ,, i knew instantly it was the guitar i sold all those years ago. Cannot believe it. Anyway if you ever get tired of it , or feel like you could part with it let me know , i would love to get it back . Anyway its a small world , if you dont think you could part with it am glad its with someone who appreciates it and hopefully now you know a bit of history about it you can add to this appreciation.. All the best

B :D

• 3 months later...

Hi Steven

I little story about the guitar. About 15 years ago my mum bought me a hamer slammer series usa, with lovely arch top , great sound, brilliant to play. i was in a band , playing mainly doors songs , we were pretty good but sadly the partying outweighed the playing. I sold my hamer slammer series USA to McCormacks in glasgow to fund a set of turntables around 13-14 years ago. Some thing i regret to this day , although i still dj. Recently i took a notion to try find a hamer slammer series similar to the one my mum bought me all those years ago , as my wee mum sadly passed away and i can remember her still shouting at me for selling the guitar.. I started to google, ebay and look for some hamers, found a couple of similar ones, was even considering buying a 1982 original model as it was the same colors as my old one, (where the white had turned to an almost nicotine cream) when i clicked on google images the guitar you bought showed up ,, i knew instantly it was the guitar i sold all those years ago. Cannot believe it. Anyway if you ever get tired of it , or feel like you could part with it let me know , i would love to get it back . Anyway its a small world , if you dont think you could part with it am glad its with someone who appreciates it and hopefully now you know a bit of history about it you can add to this appreciation.. All the best

Wow, I just saw that post you made B! I don't know if you still check in here since you only ever made this one post but you can be happy the guitar is being well loved. It has all new electronics, Grover tuners and a pair of DiMarzio PAFs in it.

I actually bought this in CC Music though, why are you so sure this is the one you had?

Slammer series are very good guitars. Enjoy and welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steven

Wow, I just saw that post you made B! I don't know if you still check in here since you only ever made this one post but you can be happy the guitar is being well loved. It has all new electronics, Grover tuners and a pair of DiMarzio PAFs in it.

I actually bought this in CC Music though, why are you so sure this is the one you had?

Hi , mate. Am pretty sure CC took the stock off mcCormacks. It had the same humbuckers, there was a bit of flaked paint up on the headstock, maybe the top edge, cant remember if it was the front or the back , but i coloured it in with a marker any way. That way you just know... Am still looking for a replacement, there's a few originals kicking about . Trying to remember if there was any other identifying marks. Am glad your taking care of it, i love that guitar and was stupid to ever let it go. When i was goggling images of it the pics of the one you had bought popped up, thats why i joined the forum.. i actually gasp when i saw it again.. Cheers B

I just went and had a look, and sure enough there's a small chip out the back of the headstock, coloured in black with a marker. So, looks like it was yours! The only thing is the pickups - the ones in the photo aren't the ones that were in it, the original pups were plain black.

The thing is though, I doubt I would ever sell the guitar. I went up and got it the day before my Gran died and it always makes me think of her as I was sitting playing it when my mum phoned to tell me what had happened.

Here it is with the extended family:

7035437575_181ef38fc4_b.jpg

Guitars april 2012 002 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

Hey Steven,

How you doin? Just a quickie- what pickups you got in that Hamer now- noticed the neck one is now double creme- was zebra before, wasn't it?

Maybe got a wee Jackson 'thing' goin on there.....

Oh, I've joined the import club too.....bought a Korean Standard to go along with the US Sunbursts....pics soon....

Good bit of history about the Hamer...always nice to know a bit of a guitars past...

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, it's still a pair of DiMarzio PAFs. I believe one is the old style and one is the newer 36th Anniversary - both are DP103. They are both double cream, I just used a black bobbin topper on one of the bobbins.

Congrats on the Standard, they look great!

Hey Steven,

How you doin? Just a quickie- what pickups you got in that Hamer now- noticed the neck one is now double creme- was zebra before, wasn't it?

Maybe got a wee Jackson 'thing' goin on there.....

Oh, I've joined the import club too.....bought a Korean Standard to go along with the US Sunbursts....pics soon....

Good bit of history about the Hamer...always nice to know a bit of a guitars past...

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

am glad you appreciate it mate. its the second best thing for me to know firstly where the guitar is and secondly that its appreciated. as i mentioned before if you ever needed the space or decided you wanted rid of it , it take it back in a second. memories are priceless. but if it already gives you memories about your dear gran , then its a good thing. all the best, mate i really mean that. if that guitar could tell stories it could write a book.

b

Archived