Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Member# inflation

gorch

Saying welcome to new board member triodecr, I was really impressed about the member number inflation.

It seems that spam requests are blowing off the counter. Almost a year ago it's been below 10k. Now, it is heading 40k.

Profile link spam, as spam goes, is pretty benign. It doesn't impact the function of the boards, and it actually makes the forum more popular, thus more authoritative, in the eyes of Google.

One easy way to eliminate link spam is to make profiles 'private.' If you can only view another member's profile when you're logged in, profile links have no value.

Another way is to make all outgoing links 'nofollow.'

For the last year and a half or two years, every spammer has been simply deleted and/or blocked.

They never actually become an account.

For the last year and a half or two years, every spammer has been simply deleted and/or blocked.

OK

I seriously thought I would make the highest account number of all posters in this thread . But it looks like I failed. Morris Davis made the race and became the winner. :angry:

How did such a Scion of our Hamer Community end up with a 1000+ member number? Slacking?

lol.

:angry:

Since I was the third person to register on this board format, I'm assuming these numbers are probably more randomly generated (??).

I never paid attention to them, actually!

I always wondered about the member number thing because I know I was one of the first ones to signup when the change to this board format was made.

Let's see now...

Archived