Hamer Fan Club Message Center

6V6 Current vs. NOS

morningstar

Question

I just loaded my Tweaker yesterday with the JJ 6v6's and Mesa 12ax7's and I got to say changing the Preamp tubes was a huge + for tone. I can turn the amp up past halfway now without it going nutz and the Preamp Distortion is more articulate. Thanks!

Those Mesa 12ax7's may be overstamped JJ's. I don't know for sure who they are sourcing from these days.

i dont know about sound, but there's a huge difference build quality and especially materials grade between old USA and W. EUropean tubes and current production tubes. Reliability-wise there's no comparison. I have three of four workhorse amps getting used at least twice a week at band volume, all between 40 and 50 years old, and they all have old tubes.

Many of those old preamp tubes may not die in your lifetime. Some of the superior materials from back in the day were also toxic so they don't use them anymore.

There was a stretch of time were the Sylvania grey plates were identical to the RCA grey plates.(early 60's?)

REPORT: SYLVANIA 6V6GT NOS 1960's.

Green ink. Smoked glass. Black plates.

These are a whole new kind of awesome in the Tweaker They seem more "cultured" in their sound, smoother than the Tung Sol reissues. The Sylvanias have a quality of "big shoulders" which is surprising coming from the little Tweaker. There is no graininess or fizz at all. I would rate them as an incredible value at $24 for the pair.

With the wife at home tonight, I have not tried them with the power section cranked.

Next time I have a dollar or two to spare, I will try some NOS cryo treated tubes!

morningstar

REPORT: SYLVANIA 6V6GT NOS 1960's.

Green ink. Smoked glass. Black plates.

These are a whole new kind of awesome in the Tweaker They seem more "cultured" in their sound, smoother than the Tung Sol reissues. The Sylvanias have a quality of "big shoulders" which is surprising coming from the little Tweaker. There is no graininess or fizz at all. I would rate them as an incredible value at $24 for the pair.

With the wife at home tonight, I have not tried them with the power section cranked.

Next time I have a dollar or two to spare, I will try some NOS cryo treated tubes!

morningstar

Green ink Smoked glass and Blackplates are RCA manufactured for Sylvania and are most likely late 50's

but why pick at nits. Those tubes are the smooth and creamy, same as the RCA black plates.

The best of the best IMHO. The grey plates, clear glass, are great tubes as well and some actually prefer them.

Archived