Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vintage ES 175 SCORE!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving this.

Inspiring me to amp up the efforts on my "NOS" old guitar project...

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped over to Petes today...he has applied the 1st coat of stain. Another coat of stain will go on and then the Nitro will follow soon.

FINAL SANDINGS & SEALER ON THE MAHOGANY NECK...

IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

FIRST COAT OF STAIN AFTER FINAL SANDINGS...

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

Makes me remember should never have rid that 1952 ES175D I had! As a 19 year old, I didn't want a stupid jazz guitar. Young, dumb, and...

I wonder what the value would have been on those parts untouched? And any story how attained? Ex worker take it home or ?... Very cool nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Petes shop this morning to see how things were going.

He hasnt gotten as far as i had thought he would be. He has been slammed with a lot of "little" stuff, (pickup swaps, spot repairs and buffs, electrical repairs, etc) he has to get that stuff moved out because peole get antsy.

Anyway...he has the sealer coat on and sanded, ready for nitro.

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

When the project is done

LMAO!!!!!

How about this instead?

holy mackerel - nirvana stole that riff (in d not d-flat) for come as you are. But As i just learned i guess they both "adapted" this from "the damned" life goes on. Who knew?

Oh .... And sweet guitar find!

DSCN1105.jpg

What P-90s did you pick for this monumental project?--and I mean that sincerely.

What P-90s did you pick for this monumental project?--and I mean that sincerely.

They are Fralin hum-canceling...stock wind

Excellent! That's about as smart a P-90 as you could pick for that one. I remember playing a vintage Switchmaster (hollowbody with P90s) and it just sounded great. Great midrange attack followed by lush hollowbody bloom.

This is the best story I have ever seen or read on a guitar forum board. It's like that dream we all have about that mint vintage guitar under grandpa’s bed but one step further with a blank slate to work with. Totally incredible and a story I will be telling my entire guitar buds for years to come!!!! B):lol:

BTW this story has to end up in a magazine or two. And I think Pete is doing a stellar job on this baby!!

Way to go Brent !!! :(:lol:

I believe we'll be seeing another one of these stories before too long...

:(

This is the best story I have ever seen or read on a guitar forum board. It's like that dream we all have about that mint vintage guitar under grandpa’s bed but one step further with a blank slate to work with. Totally incredible and a story I will be telling my entire guitar buds for years to come!!!! B):lol:

BTW this story has to end up in a magazine or two. And I think Pete is doing a stellar job on this baby!!

Thanks bro!

I must say i feel very lucky to have someone like Pete so close by!

Waiting is tough...especially when i can go see it anytime!!!!!!

I think the first song to come out of this beauty should be "Things Ain't What they used to" by Jim Hall. It's a 175 delivering an incredible tone on a sweet sweet blues played by a master... Something to pursue with that one you are getting build.

Congrats...

Juan

I think the first song to come out of this beauty should be "Things Ain't What they used to" by Jim Hall. It's a 175 delivering an incredible tone on a sweet sweet blues played by a master... Something to pursue with that one you are getting build.

Congrats...

Juan

I have been listening to the Jim Hall tune, but I keep getting lost in the whole performance-- piano, drums, bass, and the guitar. You were right that guitar part has that perfect ES-175 clean tone.

Thanks bro!

Trust me Brent, you are lucky to have Pete nearby. Wish I did. Can't wait to see the finished project. How many guys have called dibbs??

Thanks again for enabling I mean helping me with my first Hamer.

This is the best story I have ever seen or read on a guitar forum board. It's like that dream we all have about that mint vintage guitar under grandpa’s bed but one step further with a blank slate to work with. Totally incredible and a story I will be telling my entire guitar buds for years to come!!!! :D:D

Way to go Brent !!! :):blink:

Thanks bro!

Trust me Brent, you are lucky to have Pete nearby. Wish I did. Can't wait to see the finished project. How many guys have called dibbs??

Thanks again for enabling I mean helping me with my first Hamer.

I mean really really think about it. All that luthier talent in that region after all of these years. I bet Pete could do the job on the 175 with his eyes closed and one arm tied behind his back !!! :o:o As I said before this project would make an excellent article on it and the regional talent and its history. This is our American "Heritage" at work. ;) Any houses for sale there Brent??

Any houses for sale there Brent??

Sadly, I think Michigan has a "three for the price of one" sale going right now...

That sure looks like it's going to be a neat guitar, Brent. If it turns out as well as the story behind it you'll have a real winner in your hands.

Archived