Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Adios White Stripes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices on JB Hutto model Airline guitars and Silvertone 6x10 amps sure went up because of Jack White. I don't think it was because guitar dealers were fans. Makes me wonder what woulda happened if he played a Hamer....

Maybe Jack's what inspired Eastwood Guitars' current lineup, which features a huge assortment of affordable Airline style guitars, and a couple of bass models as well.

gtr-sm_Seafoam-airMap.jpggtr-sm_RedcoronadoDLX.jpggtr-smcream-Airline59TC-STD.jpgbass-sm_Blk-AirlMap.jpg

I'll be the weirdo and say they were a really important band for reintroducing loud, country-blues-based psychedelia to a wider listening audience. Sure there are loads and loads of blues-rooted bands out there and many have gifted guitarists, but Jack and Meg fused stompin' riffs, hook-laden melodies, punk attitude, ragged soloing, and rock star style in a way that connected with the public way more than {insert name of favorite young blues guitarist here}.

To be clear, I'm not saying I don't think they were important, just that, as an "old" guy no longer in the throes of popular music, I only heard about them a year or 2 after they got big, never followed them, and so don't really care that they broke up. I think the last time I cared about a group calling it quits was Soundgarden? and that was in the last century B) Kind of sad considering Jack and I are the same age, but there you go...

-Austin

I love the hatred for the Stripes on this board. I mean, there are so many better bands to have reached mainstream success the last decade.

You gotta be hip and/or teenaged to get into this crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPeuFt749l8

Lord knows, I'm neither hip nor teenaged, but I love that song!

I thought they were the real deal, and enjoyed their run. But I could probably consolidate their catalog to about 25 songs and not miss the rest.

Jonathan

I thought they were the real deal, and enjoyed their run. But I could probably consolidate their catalog to about 25 songs and not miss the rest.

That's my take too. They had a lot of headscratchers, but they also had some honest to goodness kickass songs.

He made a guitar movie with Jimmy Page and the Edge, while we're all sitting here chatting on the interwebs...he wins.

MarkB

"It Might Get Loud" - I just re-watched it thanks to this thread. It's on streaming Netflix. The missing player is someone from the 70s, which would have been great because Jack's playing is a reaction to the stadium rock GenX grew up with.

adios MEG. jack is not going away, but i doubt we'll hear from her again.

jack is tallented, but i can't stand the stripes tunes w/ no bass instrument. "7 nation army" is a great tune, but would have sucked big time w/o the "bass" part (octave down whammy pedal).

i remember the only time i saw flat duo jets, i thought "WTF?? how'd THEY get a gig, they sound like a jr high jam session"...

Shouldn't they be refered to as a Duo not a band?

prolly. i remember telling folks we were "a duo" when they refered to dave & i as "the band".

got a couple of "whatever.." (translated - "you're a pretentious douche"), so i stopped mentioning it, ha.

prolly. i remember telling folks we were "a duo" when they refered to dave & i as "the band".

got a couple of "whatever.." (translated - "you're a pretentious douche"), so i stopped mentioning it, ha.

I always thought of this as a duo:

sonny-cher.jpg

I always thought of this as a duo:

sonny-cher.jpg

Yeah, but there was Sonny, too, so wouldn't that be a trio? B)

But I could probably consolidate their catalog to about 25 songs and not miss the rest.

I thought I would take my own advice and tried to make a 25 song playlist of my favorite White Stripes songs.

FAIL

Besides having a great sound, these guys really knew how to sequence an album. It's not so much that the songs don't sound good out of context, but the albums flow so naturally that even the weaker individual tracks work in the mix.

Damn they were good.

I have to say it's not a surprise. I think the White Stripes had run it's course, especially after hearing Jack's stuff with Raconteurs and The Dead Weather.

I'm not sure what all the WS bashing is about, I'm "old" and really liked all their stuff. It's OK to be popular even if you can't shred like Gilbert and sing like Coverdale.

From The Onion’s American Voices column:

According to an announcement on their website, the White Stripes have broken up "to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band." What do you think?:

“
Meg just needs to audition a new guitarist/songwriter/ex-husband/creative genius and get the show back on the road."

"Stop freaking me out like that! For a second there I thought you were saying Crest Whitestrips had been discontinued."

"I'd like to go on record as predicting the dates they'll reunite. I'm saying Mar. 22, 2015 for a one-off show and Oct. 5, 2017 for a full-blown tour."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/white-str...break-up,19055/

It's OK to be popular even if you can't shred like Gilbert and sing like Coverdale.

i think alot of his vocals sound like robert plant, esp the raconteurs ("blue veins" sounds so much like zep its freaky).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy5Uyo-gaEo

When I was watching White and Page playing together on "It Might Get Loud" I was thinking that a Plant-less Led Zeppelin could do much worse than touring with White. Plus a two guitar attack could do a much better job with the studio tracks.

-Jonathan

Archived