Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pickups and electronics for a dark guitar?

GuitarDoyle

Hi guys!

My buddy just picked up a used PRS Standard and it sounds rich but rather dark. I told him maybe try the Rio grande BBQ/Texas because I love them but I am afraid they'll be too dark. I think he needs something more balanced in this guitar with great cleans and rhythm and lead that would provie clarity and versatily with a bit of punch. I also said the Duncan JB may be a good fit with the Jazz neck? Any thoughts guys? I think it would have to be something that provides good split tones and tones in the middle position as well.

Thanks!

GD

Guest Mike Lee

I'd try a '59 or Jazz in the neck. In the bridge, the JB might work, but the C5, Screamin' Demon, and Full Shred are other options for added brightness. The Custom Shop EVH might be really cool too.

Of course, a Pearly Gates set will add that Texas-style sizzle.

For great single coil tones, the Rio Tallboy and Muy Grande Humbuckers are ideal, since they are really two single coils with Alnico poles monunted to an HB plate.

On the boutique end, Harmonic Design HB's are known for additional clarity while maintaining fullness.

On an upscale guitar like that I would try something equally upscale...

Fralin Unbuckers for example or maybe a nice Häussel set :rolleyes: ...

JJ

Hmmm, what would Schlabotnik recommend?

Jeff R. would recommend the standard Hamer recipe of '59n/JBb or possibly a Duncan Jazz in the neck. I also fixed a similar problem years ago with a darktoned Les Paul with a Dimarzio Super 3 (do they still make those?).

Thanks gents! I was at his studio and we tried a Custom Custom and it work pretty well. The C-5 seemed to get lost a little in the mix. he wanted to stick with PRS pickups so I think he ordered some PRS Artist pickups. In the Mean time I passed along the info on the other Duncans, etc. He and I are both Rio Grande BBQ/Texas fans and believe it or not the BBQ seems brighter and hotter than both the PRS Dragon IIs and Dragons.

which standard is it, a 22 or 24? The 24 comes with the VB/HFS combination which I always thought of as PRS's version of the 59/JB combo. It would be surprising if he though the HFS was a dark pickup. He might try that combo if the guitar is a 22, or if something other than the VB/HFS is in it and its a 24.

Archived