Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thirty Three years ago today

serial

I've tried to convey to my kids what everyone was listening to when that came out and how completely radical it was in the day. They're starting to get it, but unless you were there I guess it isn't the same.

The first time I first heard it flying north out of town in a friend's mid-70's Monte Carlo. It was summer, the windows were down and the stereo (likely a Craig R3 with Jensen Tri-axials like all us rednecks had in those days) was cranked. I, too, asked not 'WHO is that?' but 'WHAT is that?' Eruption didn't even strike me as being guitar.

The turning point for me, as a musician. VH (the original members) is still my number one fave group of all time.

I cannot verbalize what that record did and what the player still does for me.

But I can play what the record and the guitarist did for me, just not quite as good. :blink:

I came home from school for the summer and my younger brother had the album. I remember talking to my brother (killerteddybear) on the phone, before I'd listened to it.

Me " you ever listen to this Van Halen album"

KTB "yea it's ok, the guitar player seems pretty good"

As spoken from a true bass player.

Later that day I'm phoning my buddy, who IMHO is still the best guitar player I've ever heard, going WTF is this guy doing.

This is the days before MTV. The first VH concert I went to was full of guitar players and their bored girlfriends. Next day we were all at the music shops tapping

Up to then we were listening to Popcorn by Hot Chocolate. Now that was playing.

I was 13 and still years away from my first guitar. I friend of mine played it for me and I thought it was garbage! A year later the first album I ever bought (excluding hits packages and K-tel type compilations) was VHII. I was much wiser at 14 I guess.

I saw these guys at a house party about a year before the album came out. I was blown away seeing what Eddie was doing. He did change the world. I don't think most young guys really realize what a game changer he was.

It was summer, the windows were down and the stereo (likely a Craig R3 with Jensen Tri-axials like all us rednecks had in those days) was cranked.

Hells Yeah! Jensen Tri-Axials. You weren't shit, if you didn't have a set of those bad boys, screwed down on the rear

deck of your ride. I had them in my '70 Gran Prix J-Model.

But I remember hearing VH I the first time. It was really a revolutionary album. Hardly anything since VH I can

touch it even. One of the few bands with an "original" sound, back then.

Jensen_Stereo_ad.jpg

Hearing the car horn blare intro of Running with the Devil was amazing. Changed the life of my friends and I.

edited to add.

Playing it loud through this.

pioneer-kp-500-super-tuner-cassette-fm-car-radio_120654549239.jpg

I was the first person in school to buy the album. I made many "you have got the hear this" phone calls to friends. I had heard You Really Got Me and had to buy it.

Glad I saw them on that tour, hungry and out to rule the world. Sabbath didn't know what hit them.

I was the first person in school to buy the album. I made many "you have got the hear this" phone calls to friends. I had heard You Really Got Me and had to buy it.

Glad I saw them on that tour, hungry and out to rule the world. Sabbath didn't know what hit them.

Definitely, I loved Sabbath but VH made them look old then.

Archived