Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell us about your screen name

chap

Mine has double meanings- before I discovered my addiction to Cali's I was addicted to Diablo's. Diablo also happened to be the name of the parachute canopy I was flying a while back and the 175 was the square footage of that canopy.

Well, my screen name "ROCKO" came from the old movie "KEY LARGO"with Humphrey Bogart and Edward G. Robinson.

Robinson played the part of a gangster named "Johnny Rocco".So with a change in spelling I became "Johnny Rocko" {Rocko for short} guitar slinger.

"Rocco,Johnny Rocco from the hotel Milwaukee"

If my guitar playing improves maybe I'll use my real name some day. LOL :)

One of my jobs in the Navy was to provide intercept control for fighter aircraft, and Cynic is what the group of instructors labeled me when I went through the school.

As goofy as using callsigns always felt, it was quick and easy to say on the radio and couldn't be confused with any of the typical orders or informational calls that were used so it kinda stuck.

Okay, you asked for it:

Back in 2002, during my first deployment (to Diego Garcia, hardly a hardship), I discovered blogs.

I wanted to blog, too. I needed a blog name that wasn't taken to go with a yahoo.com account name that also wasn't taken.

OpinioNated was already gone.

So since I wanted to make people think, choice #2 was actually available.

Since then, I've also decided that "brainfertilizer" can equally imply "shit for brains". So it works both ways.

In any case, I was always just outside of the big time. I saw other people start after me, write pretty much the same things, but make it to become professional writers based on networking, or luck, or just an ability to connect with people more.

So these days, "Brainfertilizer" or "brain fertilizer" is unique enough I can use it anywhere, but so absolutely devoid of any fame whatsoever that the entire appellation succeeds as a self-deprecating comment on my utter failure to make any long-lasting impact in the blogosphere or anywhere else (interesting point: I'm actually pretty good at my job, but nothing else).

I think I may well hold the record for having blogged the longest (and most number of entries) without ever getting linked by Instapundit.

Sadly (or "fortunately," depending who you talk to), this even extends to my work at the Car Lust Blog.

Anyway, if you actually take the time to look in the wayback machine to see the crap I've written, you have already sought out punishment worse than anyone else can give you, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Its been a long time since I visited waybacktimemachine!

HFC circa 03-2000

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200003010...merfanclub.com/

The HFC message forum ... circa 2000

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200012141...d&Board=hfc

Actually I recognize a lot of the names there...

We were thinking of cool metal band names and settled on Aceldama which we thought just meant a bad place or place of bloodshed. Apparently, it is from the New Testament (land bought with the silver Judas got for betraying Jesus).

We dropped the name since people thought we were a Christian metal band, which was a bit at odds with our covers from Slayer, Venom, and Death Angel... :)

Mine is self explanatory. I home brewed for years. I don't have the space any longer and I don't drink that much anymore. With the advent of the microbreweries there are plenty of high quality beers around these days so if I want a beer that is as good as one of mine was the odds are much better I'll find something.

Mine is self explanatory. I home brewed for years. I don't have the space any longer and I don't drink that much anymore. With the advent of the microbreweries there are plenty of high quality beers around these days so if I want a beer that is as good as one of mine was the odds are much better I'll find something.

Cool! BTW, I like your nickname a lot! :)

Seek and ye shall find . . .

Actually it started out as Toneseeker, but there were a number of tone-related nicks (including tonejunkee) so chopped it down to seeker for one of the board moves.

Am still seeking tone, but have found a few I like.

Besides, Serial was already taken.

Timothy Leary?

feynman.png

No, you silly. That's Feynman making the entire crowd levitate 6 feet above their seats.

But That's My Name....

Gene, I could never figure it out--Maybe too straightforward for this airhead!!!

Uncle Thor's Hamer is an amalgamation.

Thor is a Norse "hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, destruction, fertility, healing, and the protection of mankind." per Wikipedia. Ancient Norse people wore pendants depicting Thor's Hammer as a religious amulet.

A long-ago girlfriend from Denmark had two uncles Thor, affectionately known as Uncle Thor Number One and Uncle Thor Number 2. Fortunately they were not referred to as Number One and Number Two! Uncle Thor Number One gave one heck of a New Years party, with plenty of blonde Scandanavian beauties... but now I am getting distracted.

The obvious similarity of Hamer and Hammer triggered an association with Thor's Hammer, which reminded me of Uncle Thor, and thus was born Uncle Thor's Hamer.

Uncle Thor's Hamer is an amalgamation.

Thor is a Norse "hammer-wielding god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, oak trees, strength, destruction, fertility, healing, and the protection of mankind." per Wikipedia. Ancient Norse people wore pendants depicting Thor's Hammer as a religious amulet.

A long-ago girlfriend from Denmark had two uncles Thor, affectionately known as Uncle Thor Number One and Uncle Thor Number 2. Fortunately they were not referred to as Number One and Number Two! Uncle Thor Number One gave one heck of a New Years party, with plenty of blonde Scandanavian beauties... but now I am getting distracted.

The obvious similarity of Hamer and Hammer triggered an association with Thor's Hammer, which reminded me of Uncle Thor, and thus was born Uncle Thor's Hamer.

And now I hear Amon Amarth playing in the background... :)

But That's My Name....

Gene, I could never figure it out--Maybe too straightforward for this airhead!!!

I've only known him as Gene, never heard his last name even when I met him, but, by chance is it Gene Simmons? :blink::D;) : :o:D:)

Nice thread.

Mine comes from the nickname bestowed upon me by my long time best friend and band mate for my lifelong habitual (and seemingly hereditary) affinity for 'nervous'ly chewing my fingers around the nails.

Still going strong!

I don't need to explain my nickname to you punks.

And here we've been sending out all those good vibes onto the world that you requested a few weeks ago... :)

Archived