Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your favorite "weird" chord

MCChris

Guest teefus2

i always liked those 7sus4 chords that alex lifeson and andy summers used alot. i like using inversions where the third is on top too. it fills everything out nicely in a two guitar band.

i like the ol' miles davis "so what" chord, "6/9 no 3rd".

from low note, its 6, 9, 5, 1. the lack of a 3rd makes it open & ambigious sounding.

----

----

Don't know whatcha call it, but it goes something like this here . . .

e--3

b--3

g--o

d--2

a--o

e--x

I see it as an A power chord with a G power chord stacked on top. I use it in place of Am in a G progression.

looks like you could call it Em7/A,

or A7 add 11 no 5 (ick, too long)

Guest teefus2

that d with the f# on the low "e" string is pretty cool too. there is a neat chord after it in e costello's "peace, love and understanding" that is some sort of f/c thing, that is cool too.

i always liked those 7sus4 chords that alex lifeson and andy summers used alot. i like using inversions where the third is on top too. it fills everything out nicely in a two guitar band.

i dig those shapes too. The sus4 and 7sus4 shapes support quartal harmony, which I am really into at the moment. Very open sounding.

Really interesting things starting happening when you invert stacked fourths. Sometimes hard to grab, but cool sounding .

mike

Agumented add 9. Adds a little kick to yer basic augmented chord, especially when resolving from the dominant to the tonic (the V to the I). Easy to grab and impresses the other guitar players in the audience :rolleyes:

F'rinstance, an Eaug add9 just dying to resolve to an A6

--------x

-------x

Edit to add: Other than that, my fave is the Q27 Demented over the square root of -1.

Why play a regular chord when a "weird" one will do? One of the chords that finds it's way into many of my songs is:

e-0

b-3

g-2

d-0

a-0

e-3

In fact, the

e-0

b-3

g-2

d-0

(Dsus2?) sounds great with all sorts of root notes on the fifth and sixth strings.

-Austin

Archived