Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What was your first Hamer?

David B

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Import Rick Nielsen Signature, which I promptly put in Pearly Gates/CustomCustom and it still kicks ass.

1st USA was/is a Vanguard P-90 from Jack C - sweet!

Mine and unfortunately up to now the only one (besides some Paulas and other brands) is a Hamer Chapparal Bolt On with Original FR, SD pickups and an untreated maple neck bought at Sam Ash in 1988. It´s a pointy one but the best Superstrat I´ve ever played. :blink:

Chap.jpg

Early 90's Diablo. A friend of a friend apparently would use his parents credit cards to buy guitars. Then, he'd pawn them. When the ticket came due, he'd attempt to find buyers to give him the money to get them out of pawn. I never understood this behaviour, LOL. It was before the days of an ATM on every corner. That said, I got the Diablo and a nice LP Standard for extremely cheap.

my first Hamer was this 82 special which I turned into a custom !!shaved the neck down skinner like early 90's sunburst put crowns & binding on body and neck and a fresh paint job........

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/iownit4/100_0039.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/iownit4/100_0042.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/iownit4/ebc8792a.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/iownit4/f222530c.jpg

A used early 80's carve top Sunburst w/factory Floyd. First owner was Pete Petty who ran AL&M in Raleigh and later Norfolk. Stolen from my house in 1988, still want it back.

Guest JackButler

My first was a very late 80's Cali' in purple irridescent..let it go foolishly being young and dumb.. a lot of cool ones have passed through since.

Mine was an '81 Standard that I had Hamer custom build for me. Ser # 0597. It was white with a white headstock and black binding all around. It also had an ebony fretboard with dot inlays. I regretfully sold this guitar about fifteen years ago. Anyone see it?

• 3 months later...

My first Hamer was a '80 Std Custom ser# 0398 or 0399 i can't remember which. Whichever it is, Hamstd has the other. I have no pics on this computer, sorry. hamstd or onemark may still have some jpegs as they tried very hard to pry this guitar out of my paws. I bought the axe from Rockhaus Music in Milwaukee in '92(?). It had clear signs of heavy use & abuse in its lifetime.

I sold it to a bandmate about 18 months ago (?). He had played it plenty and was well aware of its scars, aches & pains. I would have had a difficult time selling something in that condition over the web, to someone sight unseen.

I sold it because it simply did not fit my druid-like body shape. It was way too long of a stretch to reach for those cowboy chords, it was heavy, and the headstock liked to drop down towards the floor, but it sure sounded good on the ZZTop stuff. As I acquired more Hamers I found that the others just fit me better (Artist, MirageII, VintageS, Daytona, Eclipse, Duotone, Newport) and thus the 4-dig rarely got strummed. Except by my bandmate when we rehearsed here at my home. "hey...ya gonna buy or just sit here and wear it out ?" He finally caved in & bought the guitar & 3 months later the guy stopped coming to rehearsals. (noooo, I won't tell you the bargain price he received. Just suffice it to say "never give a bargain to a bandmate just because he is your bandmate. ")

Sorry guys, i know the 4-dig crowned & bound Std is one of the holy grails around here. But it just didn't pan out for me. Will ya still let me hang out here? sniff, sniff :angry:

noonan

80's Cruisebass in Antique White. I was looking for a bass for recording (guitar is my main thing) and it was dirt cheap at Knut Koupee in Minneapolis 15+ years ago. It had a bunch of stickers on the case from a record label and cartage company, and some dude named Andre Cymone (sp?) was the previous owner. I later found out it was the bass player from The Revolution, Prince's old band, and that he had taken it on tour a few times. It is still "in the family" as a couple of my buddies have passed it back and forth over the last few years. That started my affliction and a Sustain block Special soon followed.

86 Black Phantom A5 w/Floyd, 6 in line headstock, hum/single p-u in bridge, single in neck, 24 fret, rosewood board, black hardware. Got it in '88 new.

Still have it, again. Thanks to the watchful eye of a certain BCRGreg after I foolishly sold it a few years ago, and it boomeranged back to his store. Thanks bro'!

Archived